Views on signings | Page 2 | Vital Football

Views on signings

Ben Heneghan:

I'm not as big a fan of him as many are. Saw him several times last season and was only truly impressed by him once. I think he's prone to too many errors, a bit like Craig Cathcart was.

It worries me a bit that he might establish himself in the side then leave in January; such things can de-rail a promotion bid.

Nevertheless, a signing that strengthens the squad.

Won't go down well, but...

Rating: 3/5

sorry Abel, fan of both.. Craig Cathcart left on a free, signed a new four year deal with premiership Watford in June.

Calum MacDonald:

Was a little bit confused last week when this was reported as a loan as I'd been informed it was permanent, and I'm pleased that it's permanent rather than a loan (why waste a loan on a squad player?). It's also good to see us tie up another player to a longer term contract (compared to what we're used to).

I don't know too much about him apart from what's already been reported; he's done well at Derby but only ever made their bench, capped at youth level for Scotland and can play left back, centre half or centre mid. I do know that he's got a decent cross on him and can take a decent free kick.

I imagine this will mean the end for Anderton (who Grayson released at Preston if memory serves me correctly), so Larry obviously sees this lad as an upgrade although I imagine he'll be a squad player rather than a regular.

Thanks Abel, I'm really pleased we are investing in youth and for the future. This is serious competition for husband as he is a proper full back. Husband needs to get his head sorted now which is good. Wonder if there was a fee

Last edited:
Sean Scannell:

I'm not overly fussed by this deal (or what is seemingly the swap with Pritchard). It also makes me a feel a little old as I remember Scannell breaking into the Palace team.

I knew that Larry wanted to strengthen the frontline and Scannell is versatile in that sense (plus he adds pace to the side), but does he have enough of an end product? His goals and assists return season by season throughout his career is poor and I was hoping that we'd add someone more impactful (on paper) in that regard.

He's also injury prone and was on good money at Bradford, so I have everything crossed that he's not going to prove a costly flop. At least we've only signed him to a 1+1 deal, which is exactly what we should have done with the likes of Yussuf.

I suppose that Larry knows him well and thinks he can get the best out of him, but it doesn't show much imagination transfer wise (something I criticised McPhillips for).

Just a word on Pritchard. He's definitely more of a centre mid than wide midfielder and was decent cover. I'm guessing he doesn't do enough in the defensive or middle thirds for Grayson (because his goal return last season was actually decent). We do look a little light there now.

Rating: 2/5

Sean Scannell:

I'm not overly fussed by this deal (or what is seemingly the swap with Pritchard). It also makes me a feel a little old as I remember Scannell breaking into the Palace team.

I knew that Larry wanted to strengthen the frontline and Scannell is versatile in that sense (plus he adds pace to the side), but does he have enough of an end product? His goals and assists return season by season throughout his career is poor and I was hoping that we'd add someone more impactful (on paper) in that regard.

He's also injury prone and was on good money at Bradford, so I have everything crossed that he's not going to prove a costly flop. At least we've only signed him to a 1+1 deal, which is exactly what we should have done with the likes of Yussuf.

I suppose that Larry knows him well and thinks he can get the best out of him, but it doesn't show much imagination transfer wise (something I criticised McPhillips for).

Just a word on Pritchard. He's definitely more of a centre mid than wide midfielder and was decent cover. I'm guessing he doesn't do enough in the defensive or middle thirds for Grayson (because his goal return last season was actually decent). We do look a little light there now.

Totally agree Abel!

Feeney is a different player.
Wondering what Hardie and Nuttall would do wwith his crosses. Frenchies heading for his height us shocking.

Adi Yussuf:

I cautioned against signing players after a 'career year' and this looks entirely justified now as he's struggling to get into the Solihull Moors side and hasn't scored in the league for them since his return. He'll be shipped out permanently if possible in January.

Rating: 1/5

Ryan Edwards:

I've been a bit hit and miss with my assessment of him, as indeed have been his performances (although he's definitely more 'hit' overall).

Is he slow? Yes. Painfully slow at times.

Did he get dropped as I predicted when Heneghan signed and we were still playing 3 centre halves? Yes.

Has he benefitted from playing in a back three/playing with a capable centre half alongside him? Yes.

Has he chipped in with goals? No; only one so far (corners taken by Thompson have been terrible though!).

Has he 'piled up the bookings'? No.

He's been much better in the air than he was at Plymouth, but in terms of being comfortable on the ball; sometimes he looks fine, other times he seems to panic and his distribution drops right off (think insider has posted some info about this).

I rated him 2/5 when he signed and I said that I'd class a 3/5 as a decent signing and that's what I'm adjusting him to as that's what he is.

Ben Tollitt:

His upside saw me give him 2/5 rather than 1/5 but I should have gone with my gut as he didn't impress at all in pre-season, he's struggling to get into Wrexham's side, and when he has played for them he's contributed zero goals and zero assists.

For those calling for Grayson to go, count your blessings; imagine where we'd be under McPhillips with Yussuf and Tollitt in the mix!

Sulley Kaikai:

Bar his lack of shots from outside the area, I think I got him pretty spot on?

Clearly injured at the moment though and would benefit from a rest, and needs more creativity alongside him.

Rating: 4/5

Ryan Hardie:

As per my original assessment, I tried to temper expectations about this lad from the off... but I didn't temper them enough!

I think he's garbage. He's crap in the air. He's weak. His positional play is appalling. His build up play is poor. His first touch is crap. His finishing is crap. Genuinely think he offers nothing.

My only hope is that he's just incredibly low on confidence and that he might click at some point.

Jak Alnwick:

Again, I think I got him pretty much spot on. He's done alright without pulling up any trees.

Excellent reflexes but iffy handling and not 100% confident with crosses.

Only thing I'd add to the mix is that is kicking in crap at times.

It'll be interesting to see how long he's injured for; if he's out for a while and Howard steps in capably then you'd question spending money on him (that said, Larry clearly doesn't fancy Mafoumbi).

James Husband:

I think he's really suffered from a lack of pre-season as he's begun to show us glimpses of the marauding full back he can be, but nowhere near enough overall.

I did say he could be feisty with his challenges though... see his red card from earlier this season!

I think he'll improve as the season progresses, but he's not done enough for me yet to meet expectations.

Rocky Bushiri:

A punt that's not really worked out for all parties.

He's looked more comfortable on the ball than I expected, but nowhere near as defensively sound.

I wonder if Norwich have a recall clause?

Joe Nuttall:

Again, I think I was pretty accurate here.

He needs to kick on big time second half of the season.

Ben Heneghan:

I think he's been excellent second time around and I really hope we sign him next month.

Rating: 4/5

Calum MacDonald:

I'm a bit confused as to what his best position actually is, and I do fear that that may cost him longer term; a bit like Turton he might find himself shunted around the park.

There's potential there but I think some people need to temper expectations a bit; I've seen some saying he's better than Bola already!

Sean Scannell:

His legs have gone. Scored a great goal v Lincoln but done little else. The fact that we're looking to bring in players in the positions he plays next month speaks volumes.

He's not good enough to start, and he offers nothing as a sub. He'll be gone in the summer.

I won't give him 1/5 purely for his goal v Lincoln!

Alnwick and Heneghan I'd like to see sign in January still think we need another CB and offload Tilt. We need to splash a bit of cash in midfield that's where the points are being dropped. maybe another CF or maybe Grayson should bring the nut on sooner instead of expecting him to do something in 5 minutes, he maybe fearful of losing Gnanduillet in january? all said were heading in the right direction.