Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm | Page 28 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm

Give Luiz more match time and he will be real quality. Having watched the replay now I believe he thought SJ was behind him for the dummy. Wesley tried harder yesterday, but, I don't see a ton of goals coming from him. Both full backs were poor yesterday, Taylor not bad defensively but dreadful going forward. Trezeguet looks well off Premiership pace.

I think he's played a really active part in what we've achieved so far (not just the zero points lol) so I'm OK with him for now. I do get the end-product critique but he must have had 10x the touches on the ball that El Ghazi has had already so at least he's miles ahead of at least one of our "main" players so far.

I thought we did ok yesterday and had plenty of chances, we just lacked that cutting edge, which could be a worry as the season goes on but Trez and Wes are new and need time to settle in. El Ghazi has always been too inconsistent for me, so I’m hoping Jota replaces him and as has been mentioned hopefully El Ghazi’s pace will make an impact as a sub.

We were always going to lose to Spurs and did so well until Eriksen changed the game for them, one of the best AM’s in the world, so no disgrace there. Stupid errors cost us yesterday, there was enough overall for me to suggest we can compete, providing we find our edge. SJ is bound to improve his form and with he’ll lift those around him, so I’m quietly confident. A few points on the board will make the world of difference.

No need to panic yet, we knew with so many new players it would take time for everything to gel (yes, I said that word!) and I think it will take a while before we start firing.

On the face of it so far, we need to play Taylor away from home/against stronger teams and Targett when we're at home/against weaker sides.

That on the assumption that Targett is better at going forward than Taylor and Taylor is a better defender than Targett - on evidence so far I can hardly believe that both those statements aren't true.

If Targett and Guilbert are no better than what we already had then why the fuck did we buy them.

Newcastle and West Ham both spent £40m + on strikers who have had roughly the same impact as big Wes. Norwich paid next to nothing for a striker who has continued to fit their system.

Which proven goalscorer should we have purchased and how much should we have paid for them? We needed to replace 14 players this summer against a background of FFP. We purchased potential because we had to. To expect all to succeed and click instantly is quite frankly ridiculous. So far Mings and Engels have settled. Douglas should be fine, as should Heaton. Our most loved player is struggling to adapt to expectations, along with one or two others.

I never expected anything other than a fight for survival and those that come on here stamping their feet because they haven't got what they wanted need to look to themselves. Massive difference between Championship and Greed League. All I expect is that we keeping fighting and hope the players can adapt, survive and progress.

UTV

Last edited:
Really enjoyed the game yesterday despite the defeat, difference between premier league and championship is black and white. Crap start and I’m sure Heaton won’t do that again. Apart from the dummy which led to them scoring I was impressed with Luiz, seems to like getting it forward and his performance capped off with a goal which I didn’t know he had in his locker, bit of Brazilian magic. Wesley seems to huff and puff a bit, need more time to judge him properly, had the ball in a great position towards the end and it just seemed like he didn’t know what to do. Jota looked good when he came on compared to his spurs cameo, trezeguet did well but seemed to run out of steam towards the end. Mings and Engels are looking like they’re going to form a solid partnership, Mings we already know about obviously but Engels looks solid too. Last but not least and I feel like a broken record talking about him but McGinn, top class again. We’ll struggle to hold onto him if he keeps it up, what a player.

Roll on Friday for another classic fixture.

Newcastle and West Ham both spent £40m + on strikers who have had roughly the same impact as big Wes. Norwich paid next to nothing for a striker who has continued to fit their system.

Which proven goalscorer should we have purchased and how much should we have paid for them? We needed to replace 14 players this summer against a background of FFP. We purchased potential because we had to. To expect all to succeed and click instantly is quite frankly ridiculous. So far Mings and Engels have settled. Douglas should be fine, as should Heaton. Our most loved player is struggling to adapt to expectations, along with one or two others.

I never expected anything other than a fight for survival and those that come on here stamping their feet because they haven't got what they wanted need to look to themselves. Massive difference between Championship and Greed League. All I expect is that we keeping fighting and hope the players can adapt, survive and progress.

UTV

We could have got Maupay for £20m. At least the guy knows where the net is. ATM we have Wesley, Kodjia and Davis. Kodjia used to get goals but that’s about it. Wesley and Davis are the same can hold the ball up but fuck all else. History says you need to score around 35+ goals to stay up so where are they going to come from.

We could have got Maupay for £20m. At least the guy knows where the net is. ATM we have Wesley, Kodjia and Davis. Kodjia used to get goals but that’s about it. Wesley and Davis are the same can hold the ball up but fuck all else. History says you need to score around 35+ goals to stay up so where are they going to come from.

I was surprised that we weren't interested in Maupay, but Deano clearly knows what he offers. Any player who has never played in the Premier league is a gamble. The alternatives would have been Rodriguez, Welbeck, Sturridge etc.

Too early to pass judgement on any of the signings. A lot to be learned for all at Villa, players, management and fans. Can't see the point in getting angry and upset about it all. I think we will improve and survive.

Re the fullbacks, think DS is being cautious, possibly a bit too cautious. I think Taylor is concentrating on defence because he's been told to give that priority. In pre-season he was getting forwards a lot and he and El Ghazi looked quite good together, so don't think he's just a defensive player. In fact yesterday he did get a goal-scoring opportunity so it wasn't all defence. Compared to Targett, Targett looks a bit inexperienced to me and doesn't move so well.

Again, I think Elmo was chosen because of experience and maybe being more defensive than Guilbert. That's a pity because Guilbert looked a cracking player going forwards and he and Jota worked well together, in pre-season.

Against the likes of Bournemouth we really ought to concentrate on attack. I'll be interested to see what DS does against Everton.

I was surprised that we weren't interested in Maupay, but Deano clearly knows what he offers. Any player who has never played in the Premier league is a gamble. The alternatives would have been Rodriguez, Welbeck, Sturridge etc.

Too early to pass judgement on any of the signings. A lot to be learned for all at Villa, players, management and fans. Can't see the point in getting angry and upset about it all. I think we will improve and survive.
A big name, albeit maybe passed their sell by date by a couple of years With £150,000 a week wages is what we need. Hope we put this right in January

I think Elmo was used because of his familiarity, at international level, with Trezaguet. A means of helping Trezeguet settle with a familiar face who can communicate with him easily. Trezeguet should be getting used to the setup now so Guilbert can be eased in as the next newbie. I hope we see him soon because I'd hate to think we bought him to be just a squad filler.

A moment of madness from our new keeper cost us the game. However experienced you are, there’s a human tendency in wanting to do well in front of your new fans. So, I’m not worried at all.
Taylor now the new favorite target for some now that Hourihane is not starting. I'm sure Hourihane would be getting pelters on here if he'd come on as a 93rd minute substitute...
I can only assume that Wesley is getting the stick because he hasn't scored yet. From what I've seen, Wesley is doing reasonably well in a new league, aged 22, and playing with new teammates and new style of play in a new country. Even from the Spurs game he was markedly improved against Bournemouth, and if he continues to improve at the same rate, he’ll be fine.
I find it ironic that people are mentioning Taylor’s miss (he shot on target) and barely a mention for Grealish’s free header from 4 yards that he put over the bar, or McGinn’s free shot from 12 yards that he volleyed straight at the keeper.
We missed plenty of legitimate chances in the match, but at least we were creating them.
We missed Hourihane’s set piece delivery massively. Yes, Luiz did well and deserves to play based on what we saw, but as one commentator mentioned, our set pieces yesterday were very poor. Not even a sniff of a chance from any of them..

A moment of madness from our new keeper cost us the game. However experienced you are, there’s a human tendency in wanting to do well in front of your new fans. So, I’m not worried at all.
Taylor now the new favorite target for some now that Hourihane is not starting. I'm sure Hourihane would be getting pelters on here if he'd come on as a 93rd minute substitute...
I can only assume that Wesley is getting the stick because he hasn't scored yet. From what I've seen, Wesley is doing reasonably well in a new league, aged 22, and playing with new teammates and new style of play in a new country. Even from the Spurs game he was markedly improved against Bournemouth, and if he continues to improve at the same rate, he’ll be fine.
I find it ironic that people are mentioning Taylor’s miss (he shot on target) and barely a mention for Grealish’s free header from 4 yards that he put over the bar, or McGinn’s free shot from 12 yards that he volleyed straight at the keeper.
We missed plenty of legitimate chances in the match, but at least we were creating them.
We missed Hourihane’s set piece delivery massively. Yes, Luiz did well and deserves to play based on what we saw, but as one commentator mentioned, our set pieces yesterday were very poor. Not even a sniff of a chance fy of them..[/QUOTE
We missed Hourihane’s set piece delivery massively. Yes, Luiz did well and deserves to play based on what we saw, but as one commentator mentioned, our set pieces yesterday were very poor. Not even a sniff of a chance from any of them..
Yes,set pieces were poor although . Effectively two own goals cost us. I am a qualified referee and Mr Atkinson had a shocker. Major concern is how spurs and the cherries look physically stronger than us. Maybe leave out one of the wide men and play a 4-2-3-1 with the 3 Jack, John and Connor. All three have a goal in them.

They were atrocious.

How many did we score from set pieces last season?

A big name, albeit maybe passed their sell by date by a couple of years With £150,000 a week wages is what we need. Hope we put this right in January

Hopefully someone who doesn't want to move house so they have to take a taxi from London to Birmingham every day.