Woodyard | Page 2 | Vital Football

Woodyard

Woodyard has not been a fan favourite at London road- regularly lambasted on their forums (subjective opinions that fans forums are!) for his lack of skill, forward momentum and technical ability.

I would think any money from Everton game will go on defensive loanees.
I've just had a look at the Posh Forum and can't see much evidence of him getting criticised. "Industrious, superb, imperious, high work rate, one of the few who can hold his head up after that performance", are phrases im seeing about recent performances.
Something just crossing my mind. Woodyard played in Posh's first 2 games. But omitted today from the whole squad and the manager saying Woodyard looking for another club. Might we do a swap deal?

Lots of names in here but Woodyard would take the O’Connor role. Next to Morrell winning and recycling the bell.

Please bring him back. I love the Alex Turner lookalike.

I think Alex could do a job for us, I could never understand why we signed Freck, but then I’m not the manager !
There seems to be this myth emerging that Freck has been a dud - yes injuries have been a problem, but come on! He was terrific early part of last season before being clattered by the keeper at vale, had some great games the half season after he joined- Coventry being one example.

Cowleys dont do bad signings.

Some unlucky ones, Miles, Wilson and possibly Freck being principle examples.

Weve moved on from Alex.

Would have him back in a heartbeat, whether we could afford him and who would he replace though is another matter. Be a very good squad having him back though and would certainly give us more options.
Why? Some people are not going to like this, but I am going to say it anyway: that was the National League, this is League One. We have much better options now, players with a lot more to offer than Woodyard. That was then, this is now. This recurring desire in some people to re-sign every player from our National League days is completely baffling. Some were even suggesting we go after injury-prone, one-substitute-appearance Jack Hobbs. No. Just...no.

I really really hope Freck can get back to full fitness
It does look a little doubtful and he is nearly 34 but in that formation and with that style of football I think he would be a revelation

This should be a warning to the current squad that the grass is not always greener elsewhere. Thats woodyard and wáterfall where there careers have gone backwards since leaving. Woodyard or his agent were desperate for a move over a number of transfer windows.

With Freck and Pett awaiting in the wings, it is an area we are pretty accomplished. If we were to sign another CM it would be O’Hara he just brings different but similar aspects to O’Connor.

Any future business for me would be to bolster the front line options, adding another winger and full back into the mix?

can't see Freck playing again for us, one of the few poor signings by the Bros in my opinion.

With his injury record he was a gamble, and an expensive one that is still costing us. It was nice to have "one of our own" back but I think the sentiment trumped common sense there.

There seems to be this myth emerging that Freck has been a dud - yes injuries have been a problem.

A problem that has kept him on the table far longer than on the pitch. If you sign a player on lots of money and he doesn't play for the majority of the season, I'd say that's a dud. And the range of injuries suggests there's too much to fix - he gets over one and almost immediately suffers another. That's retirement territory.

This should be a warning to the current squad that the grass is not always greener elsewhere. Thats woodyard and wáterfall where there careers have gone backwards since leaving. Woodyard or his agent were desperate for a move over a number of transfer windows.

Let's be clear about Waterfall - Shrewsbury's squad was gutted and they were desperate for players. Waterfall was never guaranteed a place in DC's 11 despite being the captain, and was facing the end of his contract with no guarantee he'd be given another.

The business was good for all parties: Shrewsbury got something they desperately needed to steady their squad, DC freed up a spot for Shackell (I don't for a second believe that signing was as out of blue as it was made out to be - they never are) and Waterfall got a longer contract and probably a pay rise.

He's back at his natural level after keeping his former club up.

On Woodyard - we didn't get promotion through the playoffs and that was probably our promise to him. All predictions were that he was going to be part of a promotion-winning team at Peterborough but their manager was an arse and messed everything up. In a parallel universe he'd be playing in the Championship now and that's how the deal, along with wads of cash, was probably sold.

Most of us would probably have looked at the potential stature difference between Lincoln and Peterborough at the start of last season and done exactly the same. The one big gamble in the equation however was Evans.

Wouldn't have him back, we've moved on. His old club Southend need a midfield. I hope he has people who can advise him not to join the fat criminal at Gillingham - that would spell the end of his career in the higher leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
We’ve moved onwards and upwards. Simply not going to get a game against the midfield competition we have, unless he’s prepared to be a benchwarmer for much of the season.

No disrespect to Alex but given the level we are playing at the moment I couldn't see him getting anywhere near the team at the moment. Payne, Morell, O'Connor are simply better imo.

As others have said we have moved on. So many players leave us for what they see as higher and better things but ultimately we keep moving on up and passed them!

Exactly!

Brilliant player for us and really was the heart beat of the team in his time which is remembered and I'm very grateful for but the club has evolved and I would take O'Hara of the two for his physical presence and better footballing skills.

I don't see the Freck signing as a failure. It should be remembered what a signal of our intent it was when we made it. We persuaded the captain of a promotion chasing League 1 team to drop a division to play for us. It meant that when potential new recruits were looking at the prospect of coming here they could see quality signings having arrived and the direction that the club was trying to go in. He must also have been a real resource in the dressing room with all of his experience as a League player at a time when many of our squad were young and/or stepping up.

All of the above is without even assessing his impact on the pitch.

Yes, there have been injuries, but I still see him as a key piece of the jigsaw that has got us to where we are.

I want to say I’d take him back, but in reality we don’t need more midfielders unless Chapman and Bradley both go out on loan or Frecklington or Pett are going to be out for the season.

Easily good enough for most clubs this level though. Some are saying don’t go to Gillingham but Evans made him captain and he was getting good reviews of his performances, it might not be the end of his career if he did. As dislikeable as that man is.

Not comparable to bringing Hobbs back though scotimp.

I don't see the Freck signing as a failure. It should be remembered what a signal of our intent it was when we made it. We persuaded the captain of a promotion chasing League 1 team to drop a division to play for us. It meant that when potential new recruits were looking at the prospect of coming here they could see quality signings having arrived and the direction that the club was trying to go in. He must also have been a real resource in the dressing room with all of his experience as a League player at a time when many of our squad were young and/or stepping up.

All of the above is without even assessing his impact on the pitch.

Yes, there have been injuries, but I still see him as a key piece of the jigsaw that has got us to where we are.

It's a fair point. I don't have the info to see who was influenced to join Lincoln because we signed Frecklington, but perhaps he has had an effect. But we signed an injury-plagued guy in his 30s, who played 19 games in his last two seasons at Rotherham and had six months left on his contract. I'd say signing Bostwick from Peterborough was far more of a coup.