New signing | Page 3 | Vital Football

New signing

We will be prosecuted for modern slavery.

He doesn’t need to be earning £3k a week but we should be paying him league 1 bench warmers rate.

Doesn’t make the club look good. PR own goal I think!
Its amazing how indignant fans can get about a situation where no one other than the club or player actually knows what the terms of the contract are and to answer an earlier comment I believe ethics is the next county to Suffolk!

Its amazing how indignant fans can get about a situation where no one other than the club or player actually knows what the terms of the contract are and to answer an earlier comment I believe ethics is the next county to Suffolk!

Says it in the echo - he is free in every sense.

In the 21st century we need to be living up to good corporate and social responsibility

Anyone saying it's fine to pay him nothing - would you do your job for nowt, on the basis it would "get you in the shop window"?

Agree, he should get some reward. But, to be clear, nobody is holding him to ransom, it's by his own choice.

It's probably illegal to pay him nothing. It certainly should be.

I think you may be confusing slavery, where you are forced to do work for no pay and a mutually agreed contract entered into freely by both parties. The first is illegal, the second isn't. I think it was historically called an Amateur contract.

As an aside, we have certainly played a few in the past who didn't deserved to be paid and some others who probably should have paid us to play.

Last edited:
Cowley was quoted in the pre-match interview - saying it was ‘a free transfer in every sense’. Think he has got this one wrong.

Says it in the echo - he is free in every sense.

In the 21st century we need to be living up to good corporate and social responsibility

I have always thought that I should have been paid to play sport. I however never found anyone who would. I used to have to pay them about £5 a match.

I never thought I would write these words but thank goodness for "corporate and social responsibility."

I played well over 1000 games of what I thought was amateur sport, but now realise I should have been paid all along. I feel abused and taken advantage of.
How could I have put up with it all that time.

The clubs forcing me to play should be ashamed of themselves.

If it's true they're not paying him a wage, I'd be confident the club are covering his housing/travel/food expenses.

I would say hes getting living expenses accomadation food etc covered in return hes staying fit and still in the shop window

I have always thought that I should have been paid to play sport. I however never found anyone who would. I used to have to pay them about £5 a match.

I never thought I would write these words but thank goodness for "corporate and social responsibility."

I played well over 1000 games of what I thought was amateur sport, but now realise I should have been paid all along. I feel abused and taken advantage of.
How could I have put up with it all that time.

The clubs forcing me to play should be ashamed of themselves.

Not quite the same - I am sure you were gainfully employed during this period.

Just look at it from his perspective we are the 45th highest place team in the land we have players who are in thousands per week. Then there is this poor guy - perhaps he could come and wash your car for £5.

I hope he earns a pro contract somewhere soon.

It just doesn’t look good. Just because he agreed to it doesn’t make it moral

Not quite the same - I am sure you were gainfully employed during this period.

Just look at it from his perspective we are the 45th highest place team in the land we have players who are in thousands per week. Then there is this poor guy - perhaps he could come and wash your car for £5.

I hope he earns a pro contract somewhere soon.

It just doesn’t look good. Just because he agreed to it doesn’t make it moral

The poor bloke has been on a professional contract at Swansea, earning professional footballers wages. He has apparently been offered a contract by lower level clubs, but has CHOSEN to play for us, at the moment. He could therefore be gainfully employed if he wanted to be.

The only reason we know this is because Lincoln and presumably Mr Lewis are open about the arrangement.
Looks honest, open and straightforward to me.

Of course we could promise to pay him, when we don’t know whether we can.
It’s called the Bury method. I prefer the Lincoln approach.

Last edited:
The poor bloke has been on a professional contract at Swansea, earning professional footballers wages. He has apparently been offered a contract by lower level clubs, but has CHOSEN to play for us, at the moment. He could therefore be gainfully employed if he wanted to be.

The only reason we know this is because Lincoln and presumably Mr Lewis are open about the arrangement.
Looks honest, open and straightforward to me.

Of course we could promise to pay him, when we don’t know whether we can.
It’s called the Bury method. I prefer the Lincoln approach.

Let’s agree to disagree- up the imps

This sort of thing does happen from time to time. I seem to remember Tony Battersby playing for nothing for Rushden & Diamonds ,shortly after he left us in 2003.