Tyler Walker | Page 9 | Vital Football

Tyler Walker

A superb signing bags of potential which I think the Cowleys will release best squad we have had in many years.

Every summer they improve the squad greatly really excited by this squad just think we still need a more mobile CB.

Walker scored 21 goals from open play last season. Compare that to 8 from Akinde and 11 from Andrade. He also took pens last season - 5 taken 0 missed. Be surprised if he doesn't end up being the main man but I suppose there are lots of different ways of playing it. Lots of options attacking wise now

Last edited:
Walker is another signing that is well capable of doing 90 mins, week after week. 33 for Mansfield in the league last season.

Derek Bell scored a total of 19 goals for Barnsley the season before we signed him.

Dixie McNeil scored 14 for Northampton the season before he joined us. But it's worth mentioning that he'd already scored 16 in the season so far when we signed him in January 1972.

A bit of research is called for here, but two more off the top of my head:

Bruno Andrade scored 26 in all competitions for a National League side the season before we signed him.

In the summer of 1965 we signed Barry Hutchinson who had scored 46 goals in the previous season for Weymouth in the days when the Southern League Premier Division was the same level as the National League is today.

And you lording a signing over them paints us in a good light?

Coventry are a bigger club than us, just look at league positions last season. Immediate sign.

What matters though is we have signed Walker and they haven’t.

To be more accurate - Tyler Walker WANTED to come to us instead of a number of other clubs (including Coventry). ??

A bit of research is called for here, but two more off the top of my head:

Bruno Andrade scored 26 in all competitions for a National League side the season before we signed him.

In the summer of 1965 we signed Barry Hutchinson who had scored 46 goals in the previous season for Weymouth in the days when the Southern League Premier Division was the same level as the National League is today.

Iirc Yeo had scored bucketloads for two or three seasons before we signed him. Again at a low level though.

Solid debut today IMO.

Good movement, didn't quite get the right service as you'd expect but worked hard and put himself about.

Not an Akinde type but still won his fair share in the air. Once we get Payne/Morrell/Anderson/Grant on the same wavelength then he'll get more opportunities.

I agree. Though you say we didn't create many chances for him. I thought he had two very good chances that he could have easily scored from!

He's going to be a brilliant signing. He looks a cut above. Perhaps the best striker since Somma.

I agree. Though you say we didn't create many chances for him. I thought he had two very good chances that he could have easily scored from!

He's going to be a brilliant signing. He looks a cut above. Perhaps the best striker since Somma.
Meant the right service as in he was making runs that weren't quite seen.

Sounds like he made an excellent start for us and what a great signing. I do wonder, though, what impact his immediate thrusting into the starting XI will have done to Akinde’s psyche given he was effectively dropped? Obviously it did not seem to affect him greatly as he had the nous to stick away the penalty but could this be a scenario where it niggles away at him? Would only be human nature after all.