Sporting Director | Vital Football

Sporting Director

Do we need one and what do they do ? Pete Cech has just rejoined Chavs as one. He speaks 6 languages !!

I've no idea Nick, every club including ours makes good signings and bad signings with or without one.

What exactly is the job description for one ?

I've no idea Nick, every club including ours makes good signings and bad signings with or without one.

What exactly is the job description for one ?

they're generally a buffer between the board/owners and the playing/recruiting staff - personally, it seems to me in the PL it never seems to go well or last long.

Edwin Van dee Sar at Ajax I don't think is one but could be doing the job of one. A respected ex player with multi layered connections and relationships with clubs, managers, scouts etc.

There are probably things some managers don't do too well and would rather concentrate on playing matters. Then also the chairman may not be liked or respected or speak 6 languages etc.

It's defining the role within the club, what gaps are there that need fixing. A trouble shooter that can see what's going wrong .

Agreed, no one can ever seem to point out a long term success story for having one.

Actually, if you look at Michael Edwards, it is a long term success. Joined LFC in 2011 after being our Head Of Analysis under Redknapp. He then moved with Commolli and stayed after he left.

Only 2-3 years ago they figured out a DoF role again as Klopp prefers it. Edwards has now overseen that amazing set of transfers that have propelled Pool to 97 points in the league and back to back CL finals, whilst getting £20m for guys like Solanke.

I actually think we're missing a trick and it's definitely not a role that needs to sit between Levy and Poch. They almost have it as a back office, low profile role publicly but very important internally. Would be really interesting to put the roles and responsibilities of the LFC DoF with how each element as managed by Spurs.

Perhaps we have our own Edwards in the background doing the same things? I don't see the same results though.

Isn't Begiristain still at City as DoF? If so hard to argue with his results, although we know they've had unlimited money to do it.

Personally, I can't see a DoF working out at Spurs. It's bad enough having revolving doors with players, then the scouts. We've been there before with DoF's and then without. If Poch wants one, who actually selects the candidate? Do we have a scouting team for DoF?.... a serious question.

Edwin Van dee Sar at Ajax I don't think is one but could be doing the job of one. A respected ex player with multi layered connections and relationships with clubs, managers, scouts etc.

There are probably things some managers don't do too well and would rather concentrate on playing matters. Then also the chairman may not be liked or respected or speak 6 languages etc.

It's defining the role within the club, what gaps are there that need fixing. A trouble shooter that can see what's going wrong .

being multi-lingual really isn't an issue for those in the business of football; all negotiations are in the international language of football: English - as are all contracts.

Being multi-lingual maybe an advantage as a manager, but moreoften than not, it's not as critical some think, many players enjoy the challenge of learning English and see it as gaining a life skill.

Compared to which other clubs?
How about our own club under Damian Comolli ? Names like Bale, Modric, BAE, Berbatov being stand outs but Alan Hutton, Kaboul ( not great but better than Nkoudou and Njie for example ) , Kevin Prince Boeteng ( who didn't work out but went on to have a good career ), Pavleachenko , Gomes (who I didn't like but who had one great season and was still playing in the Prem but perhaps not beyond this season ) and....Corluka !!! That's 10 players out of 14 that I know of that were signed under his watch.

I think we'd better start by appointing a new manager first.

I suspect unless we hear from him tomorrow to discredit the reports of him joining Juve, then it's all over with Poch.

We'll have to move quickly as we're going to have a directionless rebuild otherwise.

I think we'd better start by appointing a new manager first.

I suspect unless we hear from him tomorrow to discredit the reports of him joining Juve, then it's all over with Poch.

We'll have to move quickly as we're going to have a directionless rebuild otherwise.

Seen this.....https://www.oddschecker.com/football/manager-specials/juventus/next-permanent-manager

Poch is 5th favourite. The favourite by a long way is Pep and one of the Italian journal wrote on Twitter - . “It was supposed to be the decisive day. It was: Pep #Guardiola will be the new coach of the #Juventus. 4-year contract. Deal done.”

Does that mean he also has to come out tomorrow and discredit reports? Do you have an inside track?

Seen this.....https://www.oddschecker.com/football/manager-specials/juventus/next-permanent-manager

Poch is 5th favourite. The favourite by a long way is Pep and one of the Italian journal wrote on Twitter - . “It was supposed to be the decisive day. It was: Pep #Guardiola will be the new coach of the #Juventus. 4-year contract. Deal done.”

Does that mean he also has to come out tomorrow and discredit reports? Do you have an inside track?
I don’t think it’s unreasonable for him to deny the Juventus story if it is untrue and to reserve his position on his future pending discussions with Levy after the final....one thing for sure, the journos at the press conference will raise the issue and it could turn ugly if he dodges the questions.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for him to deny the Juventus story if it is untrue and to reserve his position on his future pending discussions with Levy after the final....one thing for sure, the journos at the press conference will raise the issue and it could turn ugly if he dodges the questions.

Not for me. I wouldn't give the journo's the time of day by answering any questions on the topic. In fact prior to Poch sitting down in front of them they should be simply told that only questions on the CL game are allowed. I wouldn't even let them talk about THFC transfers.

Can you imagine what would happen if every time a journo stepped into that unethical space of making shit up that a club or individual had to respond publicly? By either Pep or Poch rising to the bait, they would just be encouraging the stupid behaviour to continue.

It's about time journalism moved into this millennium and as fans we should be totally intolerant to the type of behaviour we've seen in Italy this week.