Wayne Routledge - to get the same treatment as Rangel? | Vital Football

Wayne Routledge - to get the same treatment as Rangel?

eye_nose_hat

Vital Squad Member
Rangel got left in the dark and eventually he had to move on, realise he wasn't getting a new deal here and join QPR.

I cant help but feel that the club will treat Routledge the same way. Whether or not he deserves a contract, the club should make a decision and keep him informed. Incomings and new contracts rely on others moving on first so it wouldn't be a surprise if Routledge was also left to hang around and wait. It's disgraceful how the club treat our long serving players like this.

Seems the management don’t know what players are staying either.

Pre-match Press Conference:
Billy Reid standing in for GP “Wayne has been brilliant both on and off the pitch and he’s chipping in with goals. But I don’t know the situation with a contract.”

On transfers he said “Like any other club, we’d like to keep hold of our players. But we know teams are looking and if the bids right, they might go. But that’s like any other club.

enh, looks as if you were right, the truth has outed -
Routledge waived his right to an automatic contract extension earlier this season so the club would play him, and now he is desperate for a new deal after doing his bit for the Swans.
“My priority would be to extend my stay in Swansea as they hold a special place in my heart and the heart of my family, but I have yet to hear anything from the club.
I have loved my time here with some great memories along the way and the fans have been great to me.
I would like some clarity on my future as my next decision is arguably one of the biggest of my whole career.
I have do my best for my family and my family are really happy and settled in Swansea.
When I was not able to be available for selection earlier in the season I reached out to the club to waive the clause in my contract to try and help the club and get back playing.
I just wanted to play football and I feel since I have come back into the side I have performed well.
I feel I have proved I am more than capable of still doing a job for the side and still have a lot to offer.
I know other clubs have been in touch with my agent to register their interest in me.
But I am not thinking about that right now as all I am focusing on is Swansea City and I hope we can come to a successful resolution for all parties.”

Same with Dyer and same with Narsingh. It's an impossible situation for Potter and he's got his hands tied in more ways than one. He's stuck for options, dictated who he can and can't play, players not offered new contracts and very limited to who he can bring in. Fair play to him if he sticks around.

Wayne commenting on Potter’s departure :

"The players have not spoken about it, but I'd say the mood would be one of shock and disappointment."

And on his being released after the end of his contract and chances of a new offer:

“There's been a small amount of dialogue, but no official paperwork or contract, it's why I tweeted that if I have played my last game it's been an honour. I've loved every minute of it.

I have a club I've played for a long period of time which is quite unusual in my career. I have an affection for the place. I've said to the club I'm willing to work with what's on offer as long as it's something respectable.

I can't wait forever, but I feel I can continue to help the rebuilding process and get us back to where we want to be. It's going to take a lot of work, but I'd like to and I'm willing to stay - but I can't stay without an offer."

Better news today as Birch says he hopes to get Routledge to sign a new contract on lower terms, let's hope it works out.

Yes it’s in his statement. I thought he played well after returning from enforced exile this season. He has said he will accept a reduced offer, although he’s a multi- millionaire anyway so money is not so important to him.

Good news he's signed a 1 year deal, sensible option as he's earned it. He might be 34 but he doesn't play as one, still another good year left in him and we'd be stupid to let him go.