Football League Play-offs | Page 10 | Vital Football

Football League Play-offs

Who's Going Up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
During the course of watching Watford getting massacred, I could not help but notice a bit of trivia divulged by the **** with the microphone.

The record win in a FA cup final is Bury 6 Derby 0

So that's two records they own: worst club in PL history & worst club in FA cup final history.

Greedy bastards!

During the course of watching Watford getting massacred, I could not help but notice a bit of trivia divulged by the **** with the microphone.

So that's two records they own: worst club in PL history & worst club in FA cup final history.

Greedy bastards!
Am sure they would be thrilled to be reminded. Frequently.

Greedy bastards!

Joint worst now then!

Here’s hoping we’re all watching JT in a full Villa strip on Monday lifting the playoff trophy.

Greedy bastards!

Hahaha i also noticed that!

87 combined years since either of the finalists last won the league. Pointless competition.

Why?

I've seen this a few times, the idea that the champions League should be just the champions again.

There can be absolutely no doubt that in its current configuration it is much harder to win as it is.

You now have to play not only the champions of Spain but the four best teams in Spain, as well as the four best in England, etc.

The champions of any country in one season may not be the best team in that country the next- we weren't either time we won it.

And the top four sides in Spain or England are all vastly better than the champions of Sweden

Last edited:
Why?

I've seen this a few times, the idea that the champions League should be just the champions again.

There can be absolutely no doubt that in its current configuration it is much harder to win as it is.

You now have to play not only the champions of Spain but the four best teams in Spain, as well as the four best in England, etc.

The champions of any country may not be the best team in that country the next- we weren't either time we won it.

And the top four sides in Spain or England are all vastly better than the champions of Sweden

No

You have to win your own League first, and that is significantly more difficult than having to play the second best team in Spain or Germany, period.

The tournament has been devalued to prevent the big clubs forming their own competition.

Calling the whole thing the Champions League is a joke.

Why?

The champions of any country may not be the best team in that country the next- we weren't either time we won it.

Why not call it the European Elite League or something like that then?
Champions League my arse.

No

You have to win your own League first, and that is significantly more difficult than having to play the second best team in Spain or Germany, period.

The tournament has been devalued to prevent the big clubs forming their own competition.

Calling the whole thing the Champions League is a joke.
Yep. The word Champions says it all really.

Greedy Bastards League would be more apt.

Why?

The champions of any country in one season may not be the best team in that country the next- we weren't either time we won it.

Of course there is doubt lol the simple fact is neither of the finalists this year would have had the opportunity to win in previous years.

Factor in the seeding designed to ensure the same teams qualify for the knock out stages.

Then add in rules preventing teams from the same nation from playing each other.

And finally the vast sums of money (and prestige) in comparison to other teams for recruitment.

You're left with a closed shop which season after season the same teams have the same opportunity to win.

Of course there is doubt lol the simple fact is neither of the finalists this year would have had the opportunity to win in previous years.

Factor in the seeding designed to ensure the same teams qualify for the knock out stages.

Then add in rules preventing teams from the same nation from playing each other.

And finally the vast sums of money (and prestige) in comparison to other teams for recruitment.

You're left with a closed shop which season after season the same teams have the same opportunity to win.

Do the best teams in Europe actually win it though?

Put aside the money aspect, because that is a separate argument and I agree with you there, and on your closed shop comment.

But from a purely sporting point of view, do you agree that generally the best teams in Europe in any given year win?

I understand the self perpetuating part of it, but just put that aside a moment

Do the best teams in Europe actually win it though?

Put aside the money aspect, because that is a separate argument and I agree with you there, and on your closed shop comment.

But from a purely sporting point of view, do you agree that generally the best teams in Europe in any given year win?

I understand the self perpetuating part of it, but just put that aside a moment
From memory, the last time a side from outside of the ‘elite’ won it was Jose Mourinho’s Porto.

Other than that, in the past ten to fifteen years the winners have been Barca, Real, Bayern, Inter, Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool.

The closed shop analogy is very apt and even FFP plays into the hands of clubs that already have good revenue streams.

The extra money sides get for competing in the Champions League pretty much ensures that the same sides will continue to qualify unless they mess up a la Man Utd and Arsenal.

Last edited:
From memory, the last time a side from outside of the ‘elite’ won it was Jose Mourinho’s Porto.

Other than that, in the past ten to fifteen years the winners have been Barca, Real, Bayern, Inter, Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool.

The closed shop analogy is very apt and even FFP plays into the hands of clubs that already have good revenue streams.

The extra money sides get for competing in the Champions League pretty much ensures that the same sides will continue to qualify unless they mess up a la Man Utd and Arsenal.
I don't need you to explain it to me Basha

Separate the two.

These are the best teams in Europe. You don't see Leicester winning it do you?

Why they are the best teams in Europe is the other side of the coin and the CL is not the only one to blame there.

By and large though, the teams you listed have always been the biggest and best in europe

I don't need you to explain it to me Basha

Separate the two.

These are the best teams in Europe. You don't see Leicester winning it do you?

Why they are the best teams in Europe is the other side of the coin and the CL is not the only one to blame there.

By and large though, the teams you listed have always been the biggest and best in europe
Yes but count how many of those sides were actually reigning champions of their league when they won.

That’s the whole point. The so called ‘Champions League’ is nothing of the sort unless leagues are now giving out winners medals for finishing fourth.

The format is all about maximising money for UEFA and the clubs involved and as has been previously mentioned if UEFA hadn’t done it, there was the very real threat of the top clubs forming a break away European Super League.

The threat is still very much there because the big guns want pretty much guaranteed European football every season for the money it brings. It has even been mooted to allow big European clubs to qualify based on past history if they can’t qualify through the league.

Parasitic or symbiotic, the relationship between UEFA and the clubs boils down purely to financial self interest. Nothing to do with what the fans want and certainly nothing to do with watching the Champions of Europe compete against each other.