Aston Villa vs Millwall Match Thread Mon 22nd April 1pm. | Page 11 | Vital Football

Aston Villa vs Millwall Match Thread Mon 22nd April 1pm.

Davis has the best first touch out of our 3 centre forwards. His hold up play is very good. Yes he needs to add goals to his game , but I reckon if he was given a run of games , those would come as well.

He was given a run last season though SD. You can argue he helped with the build up more with his arrival, but the goal threat from our centre forward went with the change to in my opinion.

I struggle to fathom the anti-Kodjia view. People say he looks lazy, etc. To me, his stance is no different to 3 seasons ago when he scored the goals that prevented us being part of a Championship relegation scrap. It can also be deceiving (when living on the south coast, some Bournemouth fans used to throw the same jibe at Brett Pitman).

What he does offer is a goal threat. Without doubt, he should've done better when in one-on-one in the first half; although I was impressed he still reached the ball before the keeper after such a heavy first touch. However, he didn't let it affect him and within minutes was on the scoresheet. The opportunity in the second half was the Kodj from 3 seasons ago and him at his best. He created that out of nothing and if it had nestled in the net (could/should have used his left-foot?), would've joined the already ludicrous list of contenders we have for goal of the season.

I guess the question is would Keinan have done better than the above (even had the chance to replicate it)? We will never know, but I wouldn't bet on it. In the past few weeks as well his game time surely must be on par with Kodjia's?

I too struggle with the anti-Kodjia view. He scores goals. He knows how to do it. He misses a few but not as many as Tammy. He worries defenders more, that's why they often put 2 players on him. He's way ahead of Davis.

With Davis I think the choice is between sell him or send him out on loan. Think I'd do the latter. He needs to play.

I can see Kodj being here next year. I suspect Tammy won't be. I think Pursloe & Co will line up a replacement.

At 21 given Davis' strengths he's a sensible alternative option. Nowhere near regular first team, but definitely bench to offer a different option.

Let him go and see him ala Callum Robinson find a pair of goalscoring boots, or keep him with and see how he develops and adjusts further. No brainer for me.

Depends on your outlook, Abraham is a star in the making but largely flopped in the Prem. Davis wasn't fancied and ended up lower level and non league yet has proven (goals aside) he's useful at Champ level at also a potential star in the making. Who has taken their shot and chance depends on perspective in fairness HL.

I agree and see the same thing - the kid is certainly good enough to hang onto it would be silly to discard him. It's not like we're blessed with talent under contract at Villa 4 key players are on loan.

9 times out of 10 a striker is either a goalscorer or not very few guys suddenly or even gradually become prolific. Some guys have a couple of seasons then turn disastrous so its worth keeping that in mind.

With all that said Deano has turned water into wine with some of these lads. I think a good pre-season with Deano and/or loan out to a championship team assuming we go up could be the makings of him. I am not expecting a 2:1 return but 3:1 should be doable for any striker with a good coach.

Thought Koj was, just the same as Abraham has been for several weeks poached a goal but did very little else. He won us the game so can't be too hard on him.
Personally, I think Davis offers more than either of them as a team player and in this team even I would bag a few goals .
I hear stuff about his finishing but Abraham misses loads, different players one is a goal poacher the other a proper target man who can knock a 7ft centre back about.
Let us not forget despite all his badge kissing Abraham wants to play for Chelsea, he used to kiss the badge of Bristol city and Swansea remember.

Can't knock the lads 25 goals but he's no Peter Withe

We seem to score more when Hourihane plays ??
As for Davis and Green, will they won't they make it, very hard to say . Nice problem to have , let's not give them away this time a la Callum Robinson / Daniel Johnson.
I always thought Luke Moore would make it but think his mental resilience wasn't there .

Also we can still finish 4th if we win our last 2 and Derby beat Smethwick on the final day.
That would be massive as we would then be away to Smethwick first leg and then get the most down to B6 .

Thought it was a comfortable enough win, despite being slightly flat at times. Should've won by 3 or 4 but oh well.

Ain't got a clue what Deano should do for the next 2 games. One thing for sure is McGinn must be rested for obvious reasons. I'd play Jack in one of the games, maybe bring him on as a sub in the other? Can't go fully rotating the starting 11 and I'm sure DS won't be thinking of doing that anyway. Maybe bring in Conor for McGinn, Hutton for Elmo, Elphick for Jedinak etc. Might be a blessing in disguise having two top Championship teams to play before the play-offs. Gives us a chance to really test ourselves before the Baggies.
Perhaps Dean Smith will consult with the guy who has achieved 4 promotions in the past
:rofl::shake::wagging:

Norwich are up... or will be by the time we play them. Leeds however will prob miss out on automatic promotion and have to play the playoffs.... id be worried about their tactical fouling during the league game trying to take out our important players- super jack/John etc. We're guaranteed play off so maybe a few fringe players-:Hutton, Elphick, jedinak (in Whelan position) lansbury and Davis could be used against them in the league instead? Keep the big guns for the play off final against them!

There is an old adage in football - don't change a winning team.

I don't think we can underestimate the feel good factor of winning games and I would be loathed to "throw" a game against our potential opponents at Wembley (if indeed we get there).

I am hearing complacency within the ranks, and all we have to do is turn up to win. If we lose the next two, all our momentum will vanish.

Strongest possible line up please and smash whoever is in front of us.

I'd view the next two as nothing more than preparation for the playoffs - Leeds I'd play all those needing game time and rest SJM,Grealish, Mings and prob Whelaniho.
Norwich can then strengthen up as a sort of playoff warmup game.
Should win em all regardless
utv

There is an old adage in football - don't change a winning team.

I don't think we can underestimate the feel good factor of winning games and I would be loathed to "throw" a game against our potential opponents at Wembley (if indeed we get there).

I am hearing complacency within the ranks, and all we have to do is turn up to win. If we lose the next two, all our momentum will vanish.

Strongest possible line up please and smash whoever is in front of us.

Agree totally. If Sheff Utd win on Saturday then Leeds will already be doomed to the play offs when they play us. Anyway, we can still finish 4th which is worth playing for.
In the playoffs I think individuals will find an extra percentage or two even above what we’ve been used to of late.
We shouldn’t worry anyway, we’ve got a manager who will know exactly what to do.

Honestly?
He was bored by half time but I’ll get him there in the end :arrghh:
Thats good gdav. My son was bored from start to finish and only went to one more game before declining a third outing and never been since. Keep at it.

Given that Leeds will probably be out of the automatic places come Sunday maybe it will be them that rest players against us.
I wouldnt like to be the one who has to make the decisions.

Amazing stuff, do we rest players for the play offs or concentrate on keeping a winning run? Just hope that for the first time in years we get the rub of the green in the playoffs. Well done DS and the squad.

Thats good gdav. My son was bored from start to finish and only went to one more game before declining a third outing and never been since. Keep at it.

Well he asked to go so I thought it was worth a shot. He’s never really been in to football so I never pushed it but all of a sudden wants to be playing it all the time. Hopefully it will happen otherwise I’ll just take the wife she loved it.

Amazing stuff, do we rest players for the play offs or concentrate on keeping a winning run? Just hope that for the first time in years we get the rub of the green in the playoffs. Well done DS and the squad.

Get with the beat Wurz they are called Groups these days :throw:

I have looked at the play off dates and realised there is a long time in between each one relativly? We should therefore start the strongest team and switch players as required and by circumstances at the time? Lets try and keep the run going. I thought the games would come thick and fast to complete the season but apparently not. Im clearing the decks for a day out in London :giggle: