Summer 2019 Transfer target speculation and fantasies | Page 37 | Vital Football

Summer 2019 Transfer target speculation and fantasies

I say stick to the plan of buying potential and polishing them up. Whilst I can say that perhaps this perfect storm season we could have benefitted from Drinkwater, I would be severely disappointed in the club if they present us with a 30 year old stop gap. That's even given him the benefit of the doubt with his recent indiscretion. Now's the time to buy the real deal (not you RD!!!) and make a statement, rather than buy a Chelsea last pick.

Let Drinkwater run around in midfield with Noble at West Ham and let's bring in Declan Rice, Wan Bissaka, De Ligt etc.
I like your choice of players but I don't believe Declan Rice or De Ligt are realistic for us at the moment, those two would cost over £100m plus some serious wages.

According to some sections of the press; (started in Italy by an ITK magazine) we 'have' to sell Eriksen to pay-down the stadium debt.

All I can say is they obviously haven't just read our accounts.

Sorry boys i did not know where to ask this question. What is the difference between finishing 3rd and 4th?
If Chelski draw or lose today we only have to win 3 of our last four to finish ahead of them and Manu on goal diff.
So at what point do we say 4th is enough and keep players fresh for CL?

Sorry boys i did not know where to ask this question. What is the difference between finishing 3rd and 4th?
If Chelski draw or lose today we only have to win 3 of our last four to finish ahead of them and Manu on goal diff.

In prize money terms it's in the region of £2-4 mill difference (exact amount can't be certain yet as media broadcast times is also a factor).

The one possible reason for NOT settling for 4th is this:

If a club outside of England's top four won the Champions League, the 4th placed club would be demoted to the Europa League in the following season. ... The UEFA Europa League winners will go into the UEFA Champions League group stage.

At the moment, I'd say the chances of that happening, are actually pretty high.

In prize money terms it's in the region of £2-4 mill difference (exact amount can't be certain yet as media broadcast times is also a factor).

The one possible reason for NOT settling for 4th is this:

If a club outside of England's top four won the Champions League, the 4th placed club would be demoted to the Europa League in the following season. ... The UEFA Europa League winners will go into the UEFA Champions League group stage.

At the moment, I'd say the chances of that happening, are actually pretty high.
I stand to be corrected Ex but I'm not sure you are right, I was under the impression that if a team outside the top 4 won the CL and one outside top 4 won Europa then fourth would drop down to Europa. Once M.U. were eliminated this scenario is no longer possible for us, as only pool and us can win CL. But if we finish outside top 4 and win CL it could affect someone else.

Sorry Ex, just to clarify...the only team likely to be outside the top 4 and win the CL is us so are you saying that if Chelsea or Arsenal win the Europa they would take 4th spot?

3rd goes in pot 2 of the CL draw, 4th in pot 3.

If we wanted a llorente esq striker we could do a lot worse than Wood

I was under the impression that UEFA changed the rules, again, to avoid more than 4 UK teams qualifying for the CL again? So if we finished 4th and say Chelsea win the Europa but finish 5th in the PL, we get relegated to Europa?

Or have I got that wrong and it was a rule change to avoid 6 UK teams qualifying in the same year?

I think a cap has been set at 5 teams from any one country, so if Chelski or Le Arse win Europa the PL will have 5 teams in CL

I think a cap has been set at 5 teams from any one country, so if Chelski or Le Arse win Europa the PL will have 5 teams in CL
Many conflicting and different versions about how many teams qualify for CL in the event of either Chelsea or Arsenal win EL. So which one is right ?

I was under the impression that UEFA changed the rules, again, to avoid more than 4 UK teams qualifying for the CL again? So if we finished 4th and say Chelsea win the Europa but finish 5th in the PL, we get relegated to Europa?

Or have I got that wrong and it was a rule change to avoid 6 UK teams qualifying in the same year?

That was/is my current understanding - but I'll try and check again today.

In short if the Chav's or the arse win the Europa, they get thr qulaifying placxe for the champions league that would normally be reserved for the 4th place finisher in the PL.

Of course, if we finish third and one of le arse or the chav's win the europa, then happy days, we're still in the CL next season....

Here's what Wikipedia says.....

From the 2018–19 season, the UEFA Europa League winners will gain entry to the UEFA Champions League in the group stage.

Also from that season, if English clubs win both the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, and neither finish the Premier League in a position that qualifies them for the UEFA Champions League, the following will happen:

• The club that won the UEFA Champions League will go straight into the group stage
  • The UEFA Europa League winners will go into the UEFA Champions League group stage
  • The club that finished fourth in the Premier League will transfer into the UEFA Europa League
With the current league table it would take us to finish below 4th and win the CL AND either Chelsea or Arsenal to finish below 4th and win the Europa League. Only then would the 4th place team (Utd/Chels/Ars) be demoted to EL.

The way I interpret it, if we finish 4th then we're fine as only Liverpool can win the CL as an English club and they can't drop below 2nd place. If Chelsea or Arsenal win the EL and aren't in top 4 then they get a 5th CL spot. If either win it as a top 4 side then I think we only get 4 slots.

The big caveat of course is that this is Wikipedia !!!

Anyway, let's get 3 points this evening and get ourselves to 70 points with a superior GD to Chelsea and 3 points ahead with the same games played. That's all we can do for now. Then we all become Wolves and City fans tomorrow night.

Got told again today that Zaha wants a move to Spurs. We are HIS preference over the other top four options. I'm not sold though I 100% admit he would have given more to us than Lamela. He will certainly get Harry a few pens. I rather fancy he ends up at Chelsea due to Palace wanting daft money even though they owe us for Townsend. If Poch wants him we need to move fast it might make Eriksen think we are worth another go if we spend early.

Last season, I thought Zaha was the best player outside of the top 6 sides. This season I don't think he's hit the heights but that might be because the press aren't paying him as much attention. Others like Rice, Wan-Bissaka and Brooks are now getting the spotlight.

He would make the attacking part of our squad more dynamic though. I'm guessing he won't be as prolific as Son, but will be way more consistent than Moura or Lamela.

Got told again today that Zaha wants a move to Spurs. We are HIS preference over the other top four options. I'm not sold though I 100% admit he would have given more to us than Lamela. He will certainly get Harry a few pens. I rather fancy he ends up at Chelsea due to Palace wanting daft money even though they owe us for Townsend. If Poch wants him we need to move fast it might make Eriksen think we are worth another go if we spend early.

I can't see how signing Zaha would make our best players want to stay?

I'd take him, but I wouldn't pay more than £40m for him.

We had our opportunity 3 years ago when he was worth 25m. At 24 it was worth the risk. It isn't anymore. He won't get any better.

Rather Redmond. Similar qualities but would cost half the price. Only 2 years left on his contract as well. Plus he is English and 18 months younger. No brainer.