POTY/ YPOTY | Page 2 | Vital Football

POTY/ YPOTY

Without Eaves goals we'd have been down by Christmas

Without Eaves's goals we'd be 10 points worse off on 41 points and not yet mathematically relegated. And since some of those goals were penalties that someone else might have scored in his absence then then we'd probably *less* than 10 points worse off.

Tom Eaves has been really good for the Gills this season and is surely in the POTY reckoning. Not only has he scored vital goals but he has shown good attitude and works hard but for me, there`s an older guy at full back who`s worked even harder and has led the way in spirit and positivity.....

From afar, I get the impression if Tom had bagged a few more goals in recent weeks he’d be a shoo in. Not often we have a 20 goal striker in our team.

As it is, Baz, Brandon and Max seem the likely candidates.
y

Not sure Eaves would have been a shoo in as most people around me have been commenting Fuller has been our best player. Whereas over a month ago there would be a percentage of people unsure if you give the vote to Fuller or Eaves, the body language of Eaves recently probably now makes Fuller a definite shoo in rather than just the favourite.

Without Eaves's goals we'd be 10 points worse off on 41 points and not yet mathematically relegated. And since some of those goals were penalties that someone else might have scored in his absence then then we'd probably *less* than 10 points worse off.
Chaps, it's possible to disagree about this without denigrating one of our best players. Both of these guys have had a terrific season.

Fuller, just, as he has hardly had a disappointing game all season.
Hanlan as it has been a joy watching him graft and improve as the season has progressed.

Not sure Eaves would have been a shoo in as most people around me have been commenting Fuller has been our best player. Whereas over a month ago there would be a percentage of people unsure if you give the vote to Fuller or Eaves, the body language of Eaves recently probably now makes Fuller a definite shoo in rather than just the favourite.
You’ll never die; why? Because you won’t be able to have the last word

There can only be one winner: Ricky Holmes.

Cost us absolutely nothing (according to those "in the know")

Consistency (never made the squad the whole time he was here)

Never got booked or brought the club into disrepute

An inspiration around the club and to fans (according to some posters on here)

He's a great bloke apparently

Eaves for me over the whole season because of his goals - fuller doesn’t do it for me - he puts in a tough tackle but overrated - Can’t beat a man ... ? I remember him costing us 3 goals v Plymouth away and Blackpool’s winner at home and a goal v Luton
He makes a simple pass or hoofs it down the pitch and everyone thinks it’s world class. I don’t doubt his effort, but lacks skill for me think Ehmer is worth a shout with his consistency all season.
Byrne has been poor for most of the season and turns up one in 6 games.

Eaves for me over the whole season because of his goals - fuller doesn’t do it for me - he puts in a tough tackle but overrated - Can’t beat a man ... ? I remember him costing us 3 goals v Plymouth away and Blackpool’s winner at home and a goal v Luton
He makes a simple pass or hoofs it down the pitch and everyone thinks it’s world class. I don’t doubt his effort, but lacks skill for me think Ehmer is worth a shout with his consistency all season.
Byrne has been poor for most of the season and turns up one in 6 games.

I did wonder when you’d pipe up about Fuller :grinning:

I did wonder when you’d pipe up about Fuller :grinning:

Well Fuller is no Garmston.

How can List be in the reckoning? A goal in the cup match but not much more.

List has a better goals per starts ratio than Hånlan and has probably created more assists. He might start slightly deeper behind Eaves in the middle but it enables him to float onto both wings and either cut in on his stronger foot, or as per last Friday deliver a fantastic cross for Charles-Cook. List on the BBC website might be cited as starting in center midfield but he rarely actually stays there.

How can List be in the reckoning? A goal in the cup match but not much more. Hasn’t even played that much since the win over Cardiff and if he does it’s out of position, ie midfield instead of on the wing.

I wouldn't vote for him ahead of Hanlan, but he's had a decent season, with some crucial goals (Coventry at home, Bristol R and Burton away come to mind).

And as only players aged under 21 are eligible, who else would you have put on the shortlist in his place? We've already got Stevenson on there despite playing only 92 minutes of league football this season.

I don't think Eaves is anywhere near as good as he and his agent think he is. His contract is up and I have no doubt that Scally wouldn't have offered him a fair package. However, from what I understand, Tom hasn't even entertained evem negotiating as he thinks he's a level above us - I'm not sure he is. The last time we had someone scoring his sort of goals - Cody, with about 18/19 - when his contract was up, it was more a case of us not wanting to renew him and him making a sidewards/downwards to Wimbledon. Not sure why Eaves thinks he's so much better? For that reason, and that he has hit bad/lazy form at the time most people consider the POTY award, I don't think he should or will get POTY.

I'd vote for Barry, who has been a revelation this season. To be honest, I thought he was past it when he left us and wasn't enthused by his re-signing, bugbear he's been smashing largely playing out of position at left back. Max has been very good too, but beyond that no one stands out other than Hanlan and Ogilvie - do they qualify as young player?

I don't think Eaves is anywhere near as good as he and his agent think he is. His contract is up and I have no doubt that Scally wouldn't have offered him a fair package. However, from what I understand, Tom hasn't even entertained evem negotiating as he thinks he's a level above us - I'm not sure he is. The last time we had someone scoring his sort of goals - Cody, with about 18/19 - when his contract was up, it was more a case of us not wanting to renew him and him making a sidewards/downwards to Wimbledon. Not sure why Eaves thinks he's so much better? For that reason, and that he has hit bad/lazy form at the time most people consider the POTY award, I don't think he should or will get POTY.

I'd vote for Barry, who has been a revelation this season. To be honest, I thought he was past it when he left us and wasn't enthused by his re-signing, bugbear he's been smashing largely playing out of position at left back. Max has been very good too, but beyond that no one stands out other than Hanlan and Ogilvie - do they qualify as young player?
I wonder has fuller been the best player this season, or the biggest surprise? Ive seen alot of people justify him as POTY on the basis they didnt expect him to be any good at his age after being released also by wimbledon. Hes been a very good surprise, but has he really been the best player?

]
I wonder has fuller been the best player this season, or the biggest surprise? Ive seen alot of people justify him as POTY on the basis they didnt expect him to be any good at his age after being released also by wimbledon. Hes been a very good surprise, but has he really been the best player?

Fuller has given seven out of ten performances every match. People like Eaves have either given 8/9 out of ten matches when they score or 5/6 out of ten when they don't.

Ability wise He might not be the "best" player on paper, but he has been the most consistent and most reliable. And he has been consistent and reliable playing out of position.

]

Fuller has given seven out of ten performances every match. People like Eaves have either given 8/9 out of ten matches when they score or 5/6 out of ten when they don't.

Ability wise He might not be the "best" player on paper, but he has been the most consistent and most reliable. And he has been consistent and reliable playing out of position.
Consistent - yes but effective - not really. Eaves - consistent - no but effective - his tally of goals says yes

POTY for me is about the most consistent, reliable performer over the season.

Eaves , Ehmer and Hanlon have had good spells but only really Fuller has performed consistently throughout the whole season IMO. As someone who was sceptical about his return I'm delighted he's proved me wrong.

Eaves' work rate over the last couple of months is what will mean he doesn't win it. It's been nowhere near the standard he set in the first 18 months here.