Tranmere Rovers (h): Who Would Be In Your Starting XI? | Vital Football

Tranmere Rovers (h): Who Would Be In Your Starting XI?

A few running on empty today plus a suspension so :-
Gilks
Eardley Bolger Bostwick Toffolo
Pett O'Hara
McCartan Rowe
Akinde Rhead

Anderson and Andrade on the bench if fit enough

gilks
eardley bolger bostwick toffolo

o hara pett

rhead
rowe anderson
akinde

andrade carrying injury needs resting
oconnor/mccartan/wilson to play an active part possibly even roberts
very tough game ahead
can only see the draw again.

I would be very surprised to see either winger after Saturday's game, so expect to see Rowe and Roberts start - Rowe can play on either wing, although he prefers the right.

Anderson and Andrade indeed most likely to be missing due to injuries.

So it will be the front four where we need to do some guessing.
Rowe has to start, probably on the right with Roberts on the left.
McCartan starting behind Akinde with Rheady coming on for a lengthy chunk of 2nd half, and possibly Angol at last for Akinde.

So:
Gilks
O'Hara Pett
Rowe McCartan Roberts
Akinde

Subs: Vickers, Wilson, O'Connor, Rhead, Angol, Freck (if fit enough) and one or two of youth team.

Just what is Frecks, injury ? seems to have been out ages, just at the time we need him. Looks like being a warm day tomorrow, rotation from the bench will play a big part for both sides, here's hoping !!!!!!

Not convinced starting with Rhead is wise. We played very well at Tranmere till Rhead came on, Tranmere knew exactly how to handle him. To be honest we very rarely look like scoring with Rhead on the pitch.

Not convinced starting with Rhead is wise. We played very well at Tranmere till Rhead came on, Tranmere knew exactly how to handle him. To be honest we very rarely look like scoring with Rhead on the pitch.
Agreed - DC usually very sharp with his subs, but that night, having been dragged all over the shop by Akinde, bringing on Rheady was just what the Tranmere defence wanted. Apart from those last few minutes v Exeter and the following match v FGR when Rhead/Akinde worked a treat, Rheady's been effective at closing games out but not when we're chasing a game. Think we need a different set up to this for tomorrow.

Literally the fittest and freshest for me. DC will know best but if I was second guessing:
Gilks
Rowe O'Connor O'Hare Roberts
McCartan
Akinde
One question for me is will he try and shoe horn Pett into LM role (instead of Roberts) which is not his best position. Alternatively still play Pett but narrow it down using Pett and Rowe as false wingers giving them more freedom to go find the space, relying on the FBs to provide width.

gilks, bolger, toff, McCartan, rowe, o'connor, should be fresh enough to start. mccartan might have to do 90 in this game.

not been convinced at all by roberts... but maybe he would do better given a full ninety to get into it.

eardley, o'hara, pett, akinde - if in the first 11 - will be doing well to make a second 90 after friday... and we can only swap three. for that reason i would have pett on the bench, to share a shift with o'hara.

boz can do ninety even with all limbs chopped off.

so, four changes:
gilks
eardley, bolger, boz, toffolo
o'connor, o'hara [50-60 minutes]
rowe, mccartan, roberts
akinde [50-60 minutes]

subs:
vickers
wilson [in case eardley is struggling]
pett > for o'hara
angol > for akinde
rhead > injury time, to make a few fouls and keep the ball by the corner flag.
andrade - might as well have one injured winger on the bench
+
freck - might as well be on the bench, to pick up the trophy ;)

uti. #itscominghome

One question for me is will he try and shoe horn Pett into LM role (instead of Roberts) which is not his best position. Alternatively still play Pett but narrow it down using Pett and Rowe as false wingers giving them more freedom to go find the space, relying on the FBs to provide width.
I think he learnt that Pett isn't effective there in our style of play. Time will tell though.

Agreed - DC usually very sharp with his subs, but that night, having been dragged all over the shop by Akinde, bringing on Rheady was just what the Tranmere defence wanted. Apart from those last few minutes v Exeter and the following match v FGR when Rhead/Akinde worked a treat, Rheady's been effective at closing games out but not when we're chasing a game. Think we need a different set up to this for tomorrow.
I will be delighted if Rheady proves me wrong!

And aren't we all glad GBL or me don't select the team. Rheady had a good game ( shame he didn't put his foot through that shot more), Akinde does look a different, more liberated player off an even bigger man.

And aren't we all glad GBL or me don't select the team. Rheady had a good game ( shame he didn't put his foot through that shot more), Akinde does look a different, more liberated player off an even bigger man.

The combination of cunning, skill and strength with those two (various levels from both!) is definitely more than the sum of its parts. Also seems to give defenders purple kittens wondering which one is going to have a go next.

Much as I would have loved to see Rhead do really well, sadly we look toothless in front of goal with him on the pitch. He’s not been a regular goal scorer for a long time now. Refs have it in for Rhead, we get very few decisions our way when he’s using his strength, even when he’s doing nothing wrong. If we can get a more mobile partner for Akinde, one who can score and not wind up refs, we will have strengthened our only major weakness.

Last edited: