We are already safe | Page 3 | Vital Football

We are already safe

Nathan, you still haven't looked at the remaining fixtures of the teams below us. It is not possible for four teams to overtake us and put us in the bottom four. They would need to take three points from each game they play. However, when they play each other, they can't both get three points!

Nathan, you still haven't looked at the remaining fixtures of the teams below us. It is not possible for four teams to overtake us and put us in the bottom four. They would need to take three points from each game they play. However, when they play each other, they can't both get three points!

I don’t need to look now as I am finally satisfied we are safe. At 15:45 today we looked worryingly close to the bottom four so made that post in hope that the footballing Gods would deliver and make me look a twat - both succeeded!

I haven’t looked at all the other fixtures but with just a two point cushion and three to play, I personally believe there would have been a certain results mix that would have sent us down (if we lost every game) - whilst this scenario would be unlikely (I suspect a load of those teams down there still need to play some top sides as well as each other), if any team could fuck up an apparent place of safety it would be us.

In a few weeks time, if 21st place have 48 points or more then I’ll say “I told you so”, but in all honesty, I don’t expect that to happen.

We are safe. I`d like to see Oldaker and List start the game in Bradford on Monday. If De-Silva is fit, i`d like to see him start too, and he and Oldaker given the opportunity to spread the ball around and attack Bradford, the football team, not the place.
Who`s got their tickets for Blackpool ? party time and a 4-0 Gills win, it`ll be a good day.

We are safe. I`d like to see Oldaker and List start the game in Bradford on Monday. If De-Silva is fit, i`d like to see him start too, and he and Oldaker given the opportunity to spread the ball around and attack Bradford, the football team, not the place.
Who`s got their tickets for Blackpool ? party time and a 4-0 Gills win, it`ll be a good day.
Oldaker, dasilva and list? All in midfield i assume? Thats quite attacking, particularly for an away game.

Oldaker, dasilva and list? All in midfield i assume? Thats quite attacking, particularly for an away game.

Yes, i`d like to see an attacking performance. I prefer List as an out and out forward, IMO, he`s more effective at the cutting edge rather than along the middle. Besides, if DJ and DS are in`t middle, they can feed Listy through balls to run at. Thinking about it, i`d like to see the same cavalier approach at Blackpool, i`ve subsequently revised my score prediction for that game at 0-5 to the Gills ........

But hang on. Some people here were arguing it was so close a month ago that it would take waaay more points than usual to stay up. Even 53 and 54 pts were being touted.

I always thought that with more teams involved, less pts would be needed and looks like that will be the case.

Very glad we’ve got to 51, but I agree with Robbo (and said it weeks ago) that 48 is still possibly safe and was always likely to be so.
Nonsense! 48 is still dangerous.

Yes, i`d like to see an attacking performance. I prefer List as an out and out forward, IMO, he`s more effective at the cutting edge rather than along the middle. Besides, if DJ and DS are in`t middle, they can feed Listy through balls to run at. Thinking about it, i`d like to see the same cavalier approach at Blackpool, i`ve subsequently revised my score prediction for that game at 0-5 to the Gills ........
Well why dont we just play 11 strikers?

Luton's win tonight has made us that little bit safer .With them playing Wimbledon on Tuesday they win that they are promoted. They do that and I think almost regardless of our results we will stay up.

Nonsense! 48 is still dangerous.

Dangerous? Well, maybe not 100% safe.

But with 3 games left, Southend and Walsall both need to win 2 to get past 48. And Dons need a win and a draw. Southend no wins in 10+, Walsall no wins in 7. Dons no wins in 4. Are they all gonna suddenly start winning now? And remembering some of them play each other so can’t all win.

Then there’s Scunny who also need a win to get past 48. They haven’t won in 6.

Then our recent visitors Plymouth. They haven’t won in 6 either. Play Barnsley next. I bet they are cacking it.

I know this is Gills, and I know we can cock it up from anywhere. But 51 is 100% safe. And I’ll be gobsmacked if 48pts gets relegated (unless it’s with a worse GD than ours). And it was never going to be 53 or 54pts required.

6 minutes into over time Wimbledon have equalized. We're doomed.

No, wait. It's over. We're saved. Phew!

No we aren't. Technically we could still go down.

Ok, I admit I'm not seriously nervous but that Wycombe game did a lot of damage to me.

No we aren't. Technically we could still go down.

Ok, I admit I'm not seriously nervous but that Wycombe game did a lot of damage to me.

Still? Still? It couldn't really happen though could it -even though two teams can now catch us? I mean, be reasonable.

I think you will find there are still four teams that cannot get 48 points.

What?

The only team that currently can’t go past 48 is Bradford.

Walsall can win 2 and get to 49. They play PBoro and Shrews, so they are not stopping any other team from getting to 48.

Scunny and Dons on 46 both play Bradford so can both go past 48.

Plymouth only need 2pts to go past it as do Southend. They each have 2 games left.

Playing against other sides down there doesn’t matter. They can all go past 48.

I’m not sure they will though. 48 (and good gd) May still be enough

What?

The only team that currently can’t go past 48 is Bradford.

Walsall can win 2 and get to 49. They play PBoro and Shrews, so they are not stopping any other team from getting to 48.

Scunny and Dons on 46 both play Bradford so can both go past 48.

Plymouth only need 2pts to go past it as do Southend. They each have 2 games left.

Playing against other sides down there doesn’t matter. They can all go past 48.

I’m not sure they will though. 48 (and good gd) May still be enough
He's a business analyst apparently (or was). How many went bust relying on his calculations?

Never mind reaching 48pts, as things stand there's only 3 teams that can't reach 52 - Bradford, Walsall, and one of Plymouth or Scunthorpe. They almost certainly won't all get there, but mathematically speaking, they could.