Lovell planning to rebuild in the summer (KOL) | Vital Football

Lovell planning to rebuild in the summer (KOL)

Assuming we're in League 1.
Assuming SL stays.
Assuming he gets a decent budget.
Assuming players want to come.
Assuming SL changes the way we play at home.

Let's secure our League 1 status first.

Last edited:
Planning a big overall ?????

Needs to be gone but let’s support the man till the summer ?

With all this talk of SL going, out of interest, who could come in and do better with the budget he's had available?
Would people trust him with any extra money coming from the new sponsorship deal or, as above, who could we afford that could do any better?
I'd like to see him given a chance to prove himself with a budget where he could get in league one players rather than have to scrape around looking at league two and National League ones. He's not exactly had a level playing field so far as I see it and, should he keep us up, I'd like to see Scally show some loyalty and give him that chance.

But then it's not my money is it?

Agree Nobby. Can you imagine how SL would feel if he was replaced by a new manager with a nice big wad of cash for players?

I can’t help feeling that if we had any different “bigger name” manager at the moment with the same budget we’d be doing even worse. And the ire would be directed 100% at Scally for the budget, rather than 60/40 towards Lovell.

With all this talk of SL going, out of interest, who could come in and do better with the budget he's had available?
Would people trust him with any extra money coming from the new sponsorship deal or, as above, who could we afford that could do any better?
I'd like to see him given a chance to prove himself with a budget where he could get in league one players rather than have to scrape around looking at league two and National League ones. He's not exactly had a level playing field so far as I see it and, should he keep us up, I'd like to see Scally show some loyalty and give him that chance.

But then it's not my money is it?

I expect that we will be in L1 next season, but i`m not convinced that keeping SL will be in the best interest of the club. Having said that, and in answer to your question, I don`t know who could come in and do a better job. I suppose a lot will depend on the detail of the new deal with the returning sponsor.

Re calibre of players, yes, i`d like to see a proven quality player or two, from L1 or even Championship, come into the side. On the other hand I wouldn`t discount scraping around for players from the National League. A large pool of ex-National League players have been banging plenty of goals in at our level for the past couple of seasons. Affording a top National League player could be more of an issue. It can easily cost well into six figures to capture the top johnies. There`s a lot of quality in the NL.

Big decision to take Tom eaves off today and it worked , whether its enough to keep him his job remains to be seen that's 12 home wins in 2 yrs poor really . I think even though we won today mr scally needs to make a decision early if it was me I would change him .

The question is has SL got the best out of the squad and players hes had at his disposal this season. The answer to that at home is no.

The first half today was poor again the only difference was that he changed it this week at H/T and it improved us, unlike last week where we got worse. Continually playing the diamond at home will lead to him being replaced IMO. Our home reckrd for the last two seasons has been piss poor. PS programme notes today suggest his patience is wearing thin on our home performances so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a change in the summer.

You could argue PS will not give funds to SL if he doesn't hsve full faith in him and I'm not convinced he does and our performances at home (as well as results) have been dire. Our poor home performances aren't down solely to a lack of quality, there has also been a lack of game plan, poor tactics, poor substitutions and playing players out of positions as well as persisting with the diamond.

Yes given a better quality of player we would probably be better to watch but its the basics that SL has struggled with at times this season.

Agreed and that is why Steve Evans will be DOF. He'll be able to help SL with signings and aid him with tactics. Course if Lovell struggles then there is a ready made replacement. But I suspect that Evans is done with being a manager and his job is being a buffer between SL and the board. He'd also have a major say in getting a new manager if Lovell is not producing after given reasonable funds. I am sure funds are being made available because quite simply we can't carry on as we have been.

You'd obviously want to bumble along as we have been for the last few seasons then? Each to his own I suppose
Vinney, Alderman hasn't said that he doesn't want an improvement. Just because we've been up and down this season, that doesn't make the fat criminal the best person to be the director of football either, especially when he's only had success with teams with a large budget, something of which we don't possess.

I’m al for a Director of Football. Our best signings recently were all Peter Taylor signings.

But what credentials does Evans have that make him a good spotter of talent?

I think (maybe wrong) that the sort of players PT got in we’re diamonds in the rough, freebies and discards that turned out good.

Evans can spot a decent player that cost £millions. But I can spot those as well as him, if not better.