Who will stay who will go | Page 5 | Vital Football

Who will stay who will go

indeed, rural somerset yokels know no better I assume. I destest the man and all he stands for!

It will be interesting to see what happens next time around as he has been increasing his majority each time however i wonder if he has pissed enough people off to get ousted - i hope so!

How on earth would he cope financially if he did lose his seat?
Hope Somerset has a decent network of foodbanks.

If Shack's has got the b*llocks, he will have told his missus that he is going to stay with the Cowleys, and see the Imps into the Championship. If however he is really a bit of a snowflake he will be following her to the States, like a Toy Poodle.

Harsh.

I wouldn't like to see too many changes to be honest, the last thing we need is to be waiting half the season for a new team to gel

I think it might be time to let Vickers go. I think Gilks as 1st choice keeper with Smith his understudy will work well

As much as I love him, I think it's time to let Rheady move on, unless there are any plans behind the scenes re coaching

I'm an Akinde fan, but if a good offer comes in and we can replace with the likes of Chair then I would be tempted

Would love to keep all the rest, but inevitably I think we'll lose some. However, the Cowleys have always replaced well so I think we're safe in their hands. At the end of the day no one is indispensable and they haven't built a team around one or two star players which is a good position to be in

Great to see such a variety of differing opinions on this. My last post saying it was a big mistake to make wholesale changes to a team with a winning mentality was to try and show that I am hopeful of retaining the core of the squad. Our players have mostly been recruited from higher up the league, or who have the ability to play further up. DC and NC made wholesale changes to the squad in our first season back, as it was pretty much forced on them to do so, plus they recognized the fact some of the players weren't quite good enough to take city forward, despite the confidence they had gained.
Other teams have stuck with the same squad and failed, but this is because the quality of the team has not been good enough.
We have been top for so long because we have that "never lose" mentality, but also because we have the players that should be playing at a higher level.
I would hope we retain the majority of the squad if we are able to as the squad as it stands can finish lower mid table.
Next season will be a 'consolidation' season, as it was when we were promoted to the league (the play-offs were an unexpected bonus, but we weren't good enough to survive L1 then).
DC & NC now have the challenge of building a team that can challenge for (and I can't believe I am saying this) the Championship within a couple of years. Which means rebuilding over time not overnight.

I reckon Akinde may do even better in L1: he will prove a bit of a challenge for their defences and we're starting to figure out how to get the best out of him now.

a) DC and NC made wholesale changes to the squad in our first season back, as it was pretty much forced on them to do so, plus they recognized the fact some of the players weren't quite good enough to take city forward, despite the confidence they had gained.

b) Other teams have stuck with the same squad and failed, but this is because the quality of the team has not been good enough.

c) Next season will be a 'consolidation' season, as it was when we were promoted to the league (the play-offs were an unexpected bonus, but we weren't good enough to survive L1 then).

d) DC & NC now have the challenge of building a team that can challenge for the Championship within a couple of years. Which means rebuilding over time not overnight.
a) Forced on them? I can't recall anyone leaving who DC was not happy to see leave. The only players who left were the ones offered one-year deals (which is commonly done to assist their search for other clubs).

b) I am absolutely sure every team promoted to League One believes they are good enough.

c) Danny Cowley happy with consolidation? He may say something along those lines to restrain expectation, but he will be thinking differently.

d) Why over time? Why would we choose to do that?

It has taken 4 transfer windows to build a League 1 squad which we have now. I suspect the plan will be similar to try and build a Championship squad with incremental improvements and upgrades each window. Everything will be considered and planned (hopefully with an investment strategy) way beyond the next transfer window. Someone said that what happens with Danny and Nicky's contract is the most important thing. They will undoubtedly have other options and offers but if they commit to the Imps it won't be to survive or hang around in League 1 in perpetuity, they are far more ambitious than that. It would prove there is a plan to progress that is backed by the board. How many would back against them delivering that plan? Exciting times.

I get that the step up for some of our squad players from National League to top end of League 2 was a bit of a gap, but I also think it was a harder sell to get players in at that time e.g. the promise of a new training ground, but none in place; only just promoted after 5 years in the doldrums, and a couple of unproven PE Teachers in charge stepping into the League for the first time. Once the crowds not only stayed high, but grew, the training facilities started to be built and Frecklington joined Bossy & Eardley on board, we started to have something to sell. We then made the play-offs and won the Checkatrade and the quality of recruits took a step up - Akinde, McCartan, Andrade, O'Connor, Toffolo, & Shackell were all exciting signings that could easily hold their own or progress, above the level they were signing up for. In January it was more of a holding game, but we still added Bolger, Gilks and O'Hara and brought in quality loans in Roberts, Angol and Rowe.

What we are looking at in the summer is more Shackell's and Andrade's. Players that either have the experience and ability to play in the Championship, or unpolished gems from the National League, League 2 or the reserve squads of big clubs. All, of course, subject to budget.

Personally, I think that with what we have and what we will be trying to recruit, we will be in or around the play-offs next season.

Last edited:
You can imagine the response Saturday, when Akinde was announced as MOTM :wagging::shake:. I didn't keep quiet and wasn't alone.

Know some one from the sponsors of the man of the match last week.. big John was picked purely on favourite player and before the match had even taken place.

Would rather keep bozzie in defence than move him into CM for the return of raggett.

With regards to McCartan, i think he’s very talented, but don’t think we can afford some one who is guaranteed pretty much to need subbing every game.