Who will stay who will go | Page 4 | Vital Football

Who will stay who will go

Raggett signed a 3 year deal on August 2017 with Norwich and now on a season long loan at Rotherham- on-sea.--------potential relegation fodder.

out of contract next summer 2020...... low..possibility of returning as an imp

Norwich are going to the Prem, Raggett will be surplus to requirements.

He’s already back at Norwich due to injury.

Rotherham’s manager likes him, but if they get relegated, surely we’ll have just as good a chance of luring him back here?

I know he won’t come cheap, but replacing Shackell isn’t going to be.

On Rheady, same here. Let's face it, he's going to be even more of a surprise/shock to L1 defenders than non-league or L2. If he's happy to stay as a supersub/finisher then I'd give him another year.
I would offer another year on his contract.
Rheady is Akinfenwa`s protege(scored 2 for Wycombe on Saturday)but Matt might not stay if an offer comes in for him as it did in January 2019 and it suits both the player and LCFC.

Norwich are going to the Prem, Raggett will be surplus to requirements.

He’s already back at Norwich due to injury.

Rotherham’s manager likes him, but if they get relegated, surely we’ll have just as good a chance of luring him back here?

I know he won’t come cheap, but replacing Shackell isn’t going to be.

Got a feeling Shacks will stay.He lives next to the training ground and in DC``S last presser he wasn`t dismissive about Shacks staying next season.

The biggest mistake a promoted team can make is to break up a team that has got a winning mentality. I know it is quite different but look at Fulham and Wolves, Fulham changed the majority of their playing staff, and look what happened to them. Whereas Wolves kept most of their squad and just added to it where necessary, and look how well they have done.
We need to keep the majority of the squad, and add only where needed - say older players leaving.
Going to be very difficult to keep all the first team regulars, but for continuity and for team spirit and confidence we should be very wary of what happens as regards to leaving players.
Not sure I agree with that for a number of reasons. Firstly, Danny has changed his playing staff very regularly despite being a successful side. Within 12 months of winning the National League and the FA Cup run, we had just three players of that squad left, and only one of those starting regularly. That is because the demands of a higher division are far greater than the lower one; players we believe to be easily good enough are actually not so; that can be hard to accept because we love our players here. But that is also the reality: we are never quite as good as we think we are, and there will be a good number of clubs in League One next season with better squads than we have currently. Danny has already signed a number of players good enough for League One, but inevitably we have some who are not. Debates will rage over exactly who they are.

For example, let's throw a spanner into the McCartan v Rowe debate. Both players are relatively untested at League One level: Rowe has hardly played a game above League Two and has actually spent his career mainly in non-league, while McCartan did well in League Two at Accrington but disappeared in League One at Bradford. So, should we actually sign neither of them?

Got a feeling Shacks will stay.He lives next to the training ground and in DC``S last presser he wasn`t dismissive about Shacks staying next season.

If Shack's has got the b*llocks, he will have told his missus that he is going to stay with the Cowleys, and see the Imps into the Championship. If however he is really a bit of a snowflake he will be following her to the States, like a Toy Poodle.

Last edited:
Do the usa rumors involve him having a job in football over there? If not then staying one more season would seem possible..players are a long time retired.

If Shack's has got the b*llocks, he will have told his missus that he is going to stay with the Cowleys, and see the Imps into the Championship. If however he is really a bit of a snowflake he will be following her to the States, like a toy Poodle.

Well having been married a quarter of a century this year I definitely rule the roost in my household.....

Right must get back to my list of jobs I've been left to do in the house today

Not sure I agree with that for a number of reasons. Firstly, Danny has changed his playing staff very regularly despite being a successful side. Within 12 months of winning the National League and the FA Cup run, we had just three players of that squad left, and only one of those starting regularly. That is because the demands of a higher division are far greater than the lower one; players we believe to be easily good enough are actually not so; that can be hard to accept because we love our players here. But that is also the reality: we are never quite as good as we think we are, and there will be a good number of clubs in League One next season with better squads than we have currently. Danny has already signed a number of players good enough for League One, but inevitably we have some who are not. Debates will rage over exactly who they are.

For example, let's throw a spanner into the McCartan v Rowe debate. Both players are relatively untested at League One level: Rowe has hardly played a game above League Two and has actually spent his career mainly in non-league, while McCartan did well in League Two at Accrington but disappeared in League One at Bradford. So, should we actually sign neither of them?

But who has actually been discarded by DC that anyone sensible thought was good enough? I cant think of any... where as our current best xi i think all could make a very good go of it in L1. Pett, Anderson, Andrade and Akinde are also pretty untested at L1 level, but like Rowe, i think they will do well.

If you look at the core group of say 13/14 players I think you could start next season with these and the side will be perfectly fine, let's say mid-table.

I have no idea if it's intended to sign the loan players who are actually used (O'Hara, Rowe, McCartan) but even allowing for what I said above I wouldn't be surprised to see a fairly substantial turnaround either.

If you look at the core team from only two years ago it would have been: Farman, Wood, Habergham, Raggett, Waterfall, Woodyard, Whitehouse, Anderson, Arnold, Marriott/Angol, Rhead.

Only Anderson now gets a look in. Though three of them would probably still be in the side if they hadn't moved to a higher level.

This season alone 12 contracted players were let go for one reason or another plus another five loan players were released in January. That's a fairly hefty changeover.

As we already have 6 on loan that's more guaranteed summer departures.

All in all it's a very good position. I don't think there's any cause for concern in the short term by keeping the majority of the existing squad. But I expect it will be improved.

I'm just happy to see what happens.

The biggest mistake a promoted team can make is to break up a team that has got a winning mentality. I know it is quite different but look at Fulham and Wolves, Fulham changed the majority of their playing staff, and look what happened to them. Whereas Wolves kept most of their squad and just added to it where necessary, and look how well they have done.
We need to keep the majority of the squad, and add only where needed - say older players leaving.
Going to be very difficult to keep all the first team regulars, but for continuity and for team spirit and confidence we should be very wary of what happens as regards to leaving players.

The flip-side to that is, for exmaple, Cheltenham after winning the Conference. They put faith in the team that got them up and failed to add enough of the required quality for the step up to the next league and nearly got relegated for it.

I don't think big changes are needed however as Danny and Nicky have added a lot of players they think can make the step up where as last promotion they were still working with a lot of players they didn't sign and perhaps felt they were getting all they could from them already and needed to change things.

From the BBC:

"Cowley said his players are under no illusions and are aware of a big gap in quality between the third and fourth tier."

Make of that what you will.

The flip-side to that is, for exmaple, Cheltenham after winning the Conference. They put faith in the team that got them up and failed to add enough of the required quality for the step up to the next league and nearly got relegated for it.

I don't think big changes are needed however as Danny and Nicky have added a lot of players they think can make the step up where as last promotion they were still working with a lot of players they didn't sign and perhaps felt they were getting all they could from them already and needed to change things.
Not just Cheltenham either.

Mansfield, Grimsby, York, FGR, Macclesfield have all struggled after keeping faith with their NL sides.

mcnulty dropped out of the side. tranmere started to really get to grips with L2. coincidence?

fans are sentimental about the players, especially at our level, where it is even possible to be actually touched by them. but who misses waterfall? farman? power? muldoon? green?

who will miss rhead? O'Connor? freck? when we have new heroes by ten games in next season.

no sentiment in football management. just win. probably why dcnc are doing fairly well at it.

never mention his name - that individual (i have some choice words) is my MP, i have had the displeasure of bumping into him on more then 1 occasion. Horrible Horrible experience

You have my sympathy. Always amazes me how even in such a pro-Tory area as Somerset people could vote for that cabbage.

You have my sympathy. Always amazes me how even in such a pro-Tory area as Somerset people could vote for that cabbage.

indeed, rural somerset yokels know no better I assume. I destest the man and all he stands for!

It will be interesting to see what happens next time around as he has been increasing his majority each time however i wonder if he has pissed enough people off to get ousted - i hope so!

If Shack's has got the b*llocks, he will have told his missus that he is going to stay with the Cowleys, and see the Imps into the Championship. If however he is really a bit of a snowflake he will be following her to the States, like a Toy Poodle.
I don't know this first hand but I was told that most men would do anything Mrs Shackell says

If Rheady is happy to continue in current role for another season, then absolutely keep him !
He has pretty much been on every teamsheet and played in most games so still a key player.