The Vaughan Family | Vital Football

The Vaughan Family

It's amazing that he has been at it for 25 years and is still able to own football clubs.

I went to a game at Barrow in the 90s when he was first involved there and rumours were rife back then of the reason for his involvement and were certainly proven to be true.

I was also at a game at Droylsden around the turn of the century when they were about to have their brief flirtation with the Conference. Droylsden were owned at that time by a Manchester businessman (they're always "businessmen") who had tired of appointing football managers and was picking the team himself if not coaching it. Vaughan was in the background then and he and his entourage arrived in three black SUVs with the obligatory tinted windows.

I made sure I turned and went to a different part of the ground.

It also reminded me though, Jules, that I met a guy named John Russell on more than one occasion as he was interested in owning a non league side and I was a go-between. Although a property developer I found him to be one of the dimmest businessmen I have ever met. Nothing came of it.

A few months later he turned up at Scarborough. Having run that club into the ground, and received a conviction for fraud in the meantime, he was then responsible, of course for almost putting Exeter out of business and was jailed for fraud after that one. That was the whole Uri Geller / Michael Jackson circus.

Luckily, Rob Bradley turned down Russell and his sidekick Mike Lewis prior to the Exeter debacle. If he hadn't done so there probably wouldn't be a Lincoln City today.

Thought this might be a thread about our club chaplain/photographer and his camera wielding son, or at least a similarly named much underrated ex keeper. Instead I suspect it is about persons we would not wish to have any Imps involvement whatsoever

Its extraordinary that Vaughan senior and his family are still able to have any involvement in football club ownership, anywhere. Even more so that none have done time for financial and other 'OCG' misdemeanors though they are familiar with the inside of Her Majesty's hotels for beating up a copper.

It was pretty well known around here at the time when they 'ran' (sic) Chester what the dodgy accounting was about.

Shame these odious crooks share the same surname as our venerable chaplain & photographers.

Our own Gary Taylor-Fletcher had been playing for Bangor. I think he's now took over as manager at Llandudno.

It does baffle me how the football authorities continue to allow this family to have any involvement in any club.

On another note, at least the FAW have had the balls to impose a proper penalty on them and for the 2nd season running too.
If the Vaughans can't be removed from Bangor, then I hope the new fans club can rapidly replace it as the official team.