Bury! Get yourselves there! | Page 2 | Vital Football

Bury! Get yourselves there!

I'll be there. I was going to stay in Manchester for a couple of nights, but I think I'm just going to travel on the coach instead!

Aiming to make a decision on Monday or Tuesday!

Hi Jules
You have a PM for Dean I've sent you.

Moved to Bury around a year ago. Having never seen the Imps win League Two before there’s something quite poignant about the fact that Bury are currently our main rival! I will be sporting my Lincoln shirt with pride ahead of the game!

FYI - Whitefield (suburb of Manchester on the way to the ground) has a few decent bars for anyone travelling on the tram who fancies a walk to the ground. Recommend the Crafthouse, Blue Bell and The Swan and Century. Not a fan of Bury centre myself.

Do we think pay on the gate will be available?? City site says TBC still as usual.
I unfortunately have to take my eldest to London on Saturday for an interview but he should be done by hopefully mid-day.
London to North Manchester in about 5 hours is possible methinks ( unless that M6 stretch north of Stoke is still being upgraded) but I'm not buying beforehand just in case his interview is delayed

Do we think pay on the gate will be available?? City site says TBC still as usual.
I unfortunately have to take my eldest to London on Saturday for an interview but he should be done by hopefully mid-day.
London to North Manchester in about 5 hours is possible methinks ( unless that M6 stretch north of Stoke is still being upgraded) but I'm not buying beforehand just in case his interview is delayed
Of course you will be able to.

Moved to Bury around a year ago...not a fan of Bury centre myself.

I have been there twice - the first time was in the early 90s and we lost in front of a pathetic crowd with no atmosphere. The second time was in August last year when I was driving home from the Swindon game. Rather than stop for a bite to eat at a motorway service station, I decided on impulse to come off the cone-strewn M62 and into Bury. It was a bit further than I thought, and there was very little when I got there - I agree about the town centre. I decided on a KFC out of desperation, but that was deeply disappointing too - they had no chicken. There's a clue in your name, guys.

Nothing wrong with Bury at all . Worked on the Rock in Bury when i lived in Crumpsall (suberb of Manchester for those who dont know) and used to visit Gigg Lane quite often . Some great pubs for a few ales . A great Lancashire town .

For the love of God don't take the M6 unless you have to. I don't know which side of London you are but unless the M1 is fowled up take that and switch to M62. That brings you to the right side of Manchester for Bury as well.

Unfortunately I won't be there on Saturday. I have been to everyone of the Saturday away matches bar 1 this season but the change of kick off has made this a no go due to Saturday evening commitment. Was intending to go when it was the original kick off time. Will have to settle with watching it on the TV round my mates house.

Moved to Bury around a year ago. Having never seen the Imps win League Two before there’s something quite poignant about the fact that Bury are currently our main rival! I will be sporting my Lincoln shirt with pride ahead of the game!

FYI - Whitefield (suburb of Manchester on the way to the ground) has a few decent bars for anyone travelling on the tram who fancies a walk to the ground. Recommend the Crafthouse, Blue Bell and The Swan and Century. Not a fan of Bury centre myself.
I’m planning on getting the tram up, anywhere decent on the walk to the ground? Google says it’s about 15 mins

I have been there twice - the first time was in the early 90s and we lost in front of a pathetic crowd with no atmosphere. The second time was in August last year when I was driving home from the Swindon game. Rather than stop for a bite to eat at a motorway service station, I decided on impulse to come off the cone-strewn M62 and into Bury. It was a bit further than I thought, and there was very little when I got there - I agree about the town centre. I decided on a KFC out of desperation, but that was deeply disappointing too - they had no chicken. There's a clue in your name, guys.

I have been to Gigg Lane a number of times only two wins, the FA Cup on pens under Buckley and a 1-2 win under Thommo when Elvis and Jason Lee scored early on. I have a faint memory Dean West may have been playing for Shakers that day. An abject 7-1 defeat under Beck and inspid loss under Sam Ellis when Dean Keates scored a wonder free kick, to slightly brighten the day. Under KA when Simon Yeo had countless one on ones to have wrapped the game comfortably, yet the Imps lost 2-0. Also a 2-0 defeat in 2009.

Last edited:
Sat in just about every stand as an away end at Bury.

Keates FK, Simon Raynor was in goal for a trip to Bury (Mazza suspended from the Torquay game?), conceded a last minute goal there, too.

Sat in just about every stand as an away end at Bury.

Yours truly too.

For the Keates goal expedition only one and half of the ground open was open because Man utd were at home in quarter final of the FA Cup and there was a Rugby League Challenge Cup semi final match being played at Wigan. The Imps meagre away following were expected to sit in the far end of the main stand and Bury had upped their prices to compensate, there were a few youngsters who came on the Imps supporters coach who were not aware of the price hike and I gave a couple of quid to a dude who was short of the gate price and would not have got in otherwise.

Last edited:
I’m planning on getting the tram up, anywhere decent on the walk to the ground? Google says it’s about 15 mins
If you are catching the tram from Manchester City Centre you may want to take advantage of the gazillion hostelries there before heading on up to Bury. You could leave the city centre about 4.30pm and still be at the ground for kick off. 4pm would leave you loads of time. There are numerous individual pubs in The Northern quarter, plenty on the walk away from Piccadilly, The Printworks Complex near Victoria has a Wetherspoons and Beer Kellar. If you want some food the Corn Exchange has been beautifully refurbished and has about 15 reasonably priced restaurants. Also next to that is the Cathedral quarter that has all the olde worlde Tudor pubs. Corn Exchange and Cathedral are also a one minute walk to Victoria which is on the Bury tram line. As Salfordimp has previously highlighted there is a beer festival (doors at midday) within the Central Conference Centre which is also adjacent to the St Peter's Square tram stop for Bury.

If you are catching the tram from Manchester City Centre you may want to take advantage of the gazillion hostelries there before heading on up to Bury. You could leave the city centre about 4.30pm and still be at the ground for kick off. 4pm would leave you loads of time. There are numerous individual pubs in The Northern quarter, plenty on the walk away from Piccadilly, The Printworks Complex near Victoria has a Wetherspoons and Beer Kellar. If you want some food the Corn Exchange has been beautifully refurbished and has about 15 reasonably priced restaurants. Also next to that is the Cathedral quarter that has all the olde worlde Tudor pubs. Corn Exchange and Cathedral are also a one minute walk to Victoria which is on the Bury tram line. As Salfordimp has previously highlighted there is a beer festival (doors at midday) within the Central Conference Centre which is also adjacent to the St Peter's Square tram stop for Bury.
Thanks, probably should have mentioned I live in. Manchester!

Tickets are available for the Beer festival here:

https://mancbeerfest.uk/tickets/