January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts | Page 64 | Vital Football

January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts

Nothing in the air?

I know you probably don't mean that literally, but he won the header at Macclesfield for Pett. The header against Crewe for Pett. The header at Swindon for McCartan. And probably two or three others that I can't recall.
The head down for McCartan v MK Dons

Don't think Yeo ever played above the basement division. Akinde managed a few games for Bristol in the Championship with 1 goal. And Forrester had two seasons with Grimsby in the Championship, scoring all of 6 goals. That is as good as it gets. Other than that they did well in the fourth tier. You were joking weren't you?

So apart from being top scorer and providing the 6 or 7 assists that you talk of, he’s rubbish?

Sounds as if that’s aimed at me Westbanker. I have never criticised Big John, I know his worth to the team. His goals, his assists and his team play are pivotal our success this year. He stays fit we go up, in a nutshell. Ignore the ignorant.

League 2 defenders hate playjng agajnst Akinde. His ball control is sometimes erratic, hence he plays in league 2, but his strength on and off the ball gives him a real edge in this league. The Cowleys rate him because they can see what he brings to the whole team.. and, on balance, i think i go with the Cowleys footballing judgement.

Don't think Yeo ever played above the basement division. Akinde managed a few games for Bristol in the Championship with 1 goal. And Forrester had two seasons with Grimsby in the Championship, scoring all of 6 goals. That is as good as it gets. Other than that they did well in the fourth tier. You were joking weren't you?

He was very young and very raw when at the robins. At the time the robins had some excellent forward players. They were a dean windass kick from the premier league

At league 1 level an Akinde and a poacher (not the cheese) would be excellent.

Sounds as if that’s aimed at me Westbanker. I have never criticised Big John, I know his worth to the team. His goals, his assists and his team play are pivotal our success this year. He stays fit we go up, in a nutshell. Ignore the ignorant.

Not aimed at you specifically, just seems to be a number of people on here who just criticise the bloke relentlessly. If DC thinks he’s our man thats good enough for me and his goals and assists back him up.

Jeez! Not everything Akinde does comes off but I've just watched him single handedly occupy two and three defenders for the 80 mins he was on the pitch. I echo what others say in that it is up to other team members to either get closer to him and/or make intelligent use of the space he creates by dragging the defenders out of position. It's bloomin hard controlling the ball and laying it off every time successfully when you've got 2/3 opponents in your space, on your back (often in a tight channel) and no team mate within 25 yards. Sometimes the ball is going to bounce off him or he's not going to win it in the first instance but if other players were near him then we could press for a turnover even in those circumstances. My take on it is that we now put more emphasis on retaining shape behind the ball rather than pressing higher up the pitch. I feel that is a deliberate tactic and may be linked to having a less combative central midfield and older legs in there. I guess we can't have everything and DC has to set the team up in the most efficient way to suit the personnel he has and that puts a great deal of unselfish work on JA's shoulders. Three points clear with games in hand.

Can't believe we're still having these discussions, Akinde is a handful for any L2 defence, was again today, and for good measure gave a multi million premiership international defenders a good going over two weeks ago. It wasn't his best game today, but while his touch wasn't great at times today, those touches were usually under physical pressure and the quality will be less reliable as a result.

A lot of oppostion fans in the 'who are ya' piece want Akinde. He's one of the best strikers in this league and a key part of us being top.

If you aren't satisfied with that, you're supporting the wrong club in the wrong league.

How many goals have we actually scored as a result of his flick-ons? I can't remember many, but maybe I'm doing him a disservice.

No disrespect to him, but we are one dimensional when he's on the field.

Well, a stats challenge there, so ive been doing some sums.
Now no recollection as to who set up which goals, but I've got back through all matches for Matt Rhead and John Akinde and here are the total minutes played - goals scored by team - goals scored by player himself:

Matt Rhead: Mins - Team Gls - His Gls
2015-16: 3,997mins - 57 tmgls - 23 hsgls
2016-17: 4,258mins - 84 tmgls - 14 hsgls
2017-18: 3,202mins - 50 tmgls - 9 hsgls
2018-19: 1,098mins - 23 tmgls - 3 hsgls
Total: 12,555mins - 214 tmgls - 49 hsgls
Ave: 59 mins per team goal
Ave: 256 mins per his goal

John Akinde:
2018-19: 2,220mins - 43 tmgls - 11 hsgls
Ave: 52 mins per team goal
Ave: 202 mins per his goal

Can't believe we're still having these discussions, Akinde is a handful for any L2 defence, was again today, and for good measure gave a multi million premiership international defenders a good going over two weeks ago. It wasn't his best game today, but while his touch wasn't great at times today, those touches were usually under physical pressure and the quality will be less reliable as a result.

A lot of oppostion fans in the 'who are ya' piece want Akinde. He's one of the best strikers in this league and a key part of us being top.

If you aren't satisfied with that, you're supporting the wrong club in the wrong league.
Like last season when most of the 'Who Are Ya?' article had people naming Bostwick a lot. We had people questioning Bostwick initially but when they realised that he wasn't in the side to score or create, they finally saw the light and realised that what he was in the side to do, he did well.

I have a feeling it'll happen with Akinde soon, although it's taking longer than I anticipated.

I certainly do not want to we the long ball game.

Unfortunately a "short" ball game wouldn't have worked today because, after half time, Akinde didn't control the ball once. He had two very good opportunities to score but misjudged the flight/ trajectory of the ball.

I am desperate for him to do well but cannot see it happening on what I have seen so far.
But he is doing well... he’s leading the line and we’re top...

Well, a stats challenge there, so ive been doing some sums.
Now no recollection as to who set up which goals, but I've got back through all matches for Matt Rhead and John Akinde and here are the total minutes played - goals scored by team - goals scored by player himself:

Matt Rhead: Mins - Team Gls - His Gls
2015-16: 3,997mins - 57 tmgls - 23 hsgls
2016-17: 4,258mins - 84 tmgls - 14 hsgls
2017-18: 3,202mins - 50 tmgls - 9 hsgls
2018-19: 1,098mins - 23 tmgls - 3 hsgls
Total: 12,555mins - 214 tmgls - 49 hsgls
Ave: 59 mins per team goal
Ave: 256 mins per his goal

John Akinde:
2018-19: 2,220mins - 43 tmgls - 11 hsgls
Ave: 52 mins per team goal
Ave: 202 mins per his goal

Erm Rhead has 50, check with Scotimp.

Could someone total up the number of 'who are ya?' respondents who have said Akinde would be the player they'd have from Lincoln?

Nail on head. No matter how much our own naysayers moan incessantly that Akinde is not good enough, the fact is that most L2 fans would swap their striker for him tomorrow.

There's a reason why Rheady isn't first choice.

Today I'd have brought Rheady on 10mins earlier as Akinde was knackered. What we need in a new striker is a very good back up to Big John. A younger version. Rheady cannot do that role. And maybe the young lad will be brilliant in the air, have a great first touch, be able to run the channels all game, be as strong as an Ox and score 30 a season.

Last edited:
Sounds like the big Perce v Wardy debate in the 70s...

Wardy was derided as a goal grabber...

Perhaps we need a goal grabber to capitalise on JA's creation of space..

I recall similar discussions with Robinson. Who ran defences ragged and pulled several opposition players out of position...

As did Greeny...

If all we do is focus on what our players do with the ball we are missing out on what they create for their team when they don't have the ball.

It's a mistake for players to ball watch.

So too is it for fans.

We have beaten many teams who had greater possession of the ball than we had.

It's about the whole and how we stitch the skills, vision, spirit and experience of the team together with the designs and plans of DC and NC to create the wins....

Long may our opponents ball watch...

Come on you Imps!!!!!!!! ©