Match Thread: Lincoln City v Grimsby Town | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Grimsby Town

An odd derby match really because despite what you'll see in the paper when you look at the red and yellow cards wasn't really blood and thunder and the atmosphere was comparatively flat. Thought the away fans would make more noise which would then get us going in response but didn't really happen. Maybe because attacking their own fans they didn't give them anything to get excited about. Can see that's their weak point not having a striker.
We were solid without being spectacular, Bolger good debut I thought. Akinde(and he can play better) copped a bit of flack near me (often for a ball played 20 yards to one side of him and wondering why he didn't get it) but playing one man up top against two strong centre halves often then you stand out if you lose the ball more than elsewhere in the team. As an opposing argument I would ask what McCartan did for example, but the role he plays is not so visible.
Not sure why there were so many yellows, Red yes, but normal league 2 Ref I'm sure would have been less

Better options off the bench now with due respect to the likes of Gordon who has done okay with us, but having someone like Rowe able to come on when he did makes a massive difference.

Also, I forgot how good Danny Rowe was. Pure quality when he came on. Gave us that much need zip in the middle of the pitch. Get him to full fitness and he'll be very dangerous.

Thought Rowe playing through the middle was very positive and in there he will see lots more of the ball and can provide good link play and has ace control in tight situations.
(pressure now building for a starting role in the 10 slot......and that can only be a good thing)

We did what we had to, which, as it turned out, was very little. About as routine a win as you can get. As it panned out, it was an ideal game ahead of the two away games this week and good one for Bolger to come in to.

Grimsby are better than last season but so are we so the gulf in quality is still there.

A win is a win is a win. For the first twenty minutes. I thought we looked a lot better than lately, and back to ourselves. It's a good job we got the goal because for the remainder of the half, Grimsby could easily have had a couple from goalmouth scrambles. Not sure if we lost our way or we were a bit sussed.

Second half we weren't anything special but improved whilst they ran out of ideas. I don't think anyone particularly shone. Eardley looked much more like himself. Akinde seemed pretty ineffective but there are such fine margins with him that had a couple a chances have come off, we may have thought he'd had a blinder.

I thought Bolger looked class. The odd moment, which is to be expected with a newby, but on the whole I thought he was excellent. I don't expect him to be out of the side between now and the end of the season.

Rowe is probably the shot in the arm we needed. Whether Bruno's slight dip is down to injury or otherwise, Rowe's energy I hope will give him a kick up the arse and food for thought for the remainder of the season. Anderson didn't have his greatest game but likewise, it is a good thing that the established wingers have a bit of competition.

Form often goes out the window during derby matches, though it didn't have the usual intensity of some of the more recent games against them. Had we not known Dean was a premier league ref, we may not have guessed, but he was at least consistent. He seemed to give out cards for challenges which warranted yellows in the premier league, which is exactly what he should have done. The rules are the same for us all.

Given that we had a couple of regulars out through suspension, and bringing in a couple of new signings, it was a decent enough performance. Three points. I'll take that

Rowe was better than I remember him, his pace put their back line under pressure and won the race with their keeper, he had to go imo.
Decent derby game on a very cold day !
Rowe was just I remembered him, last seen taking the vale defence apart before they injured him. That's a big relief given the ' not fit' comments from Ipswich.

McCartan started well, flitted out 2nd quarter, was getting back into the game when subbed. Rowe's performance in the same role was an intriguing option for the rest of the season and makes the 'need another striker' claim less urgent?

Last man is no longer a straight red offence from a couple of seasons back.

Studs mid way up leg up is the reason he was sent off

Deliberate fouls still incur a red..
"Players who commit a foul to deny a goalscoring opportunity will no longer automatically be sent off, football's rule-making body has confirmed.
The previous 'triple-punishment' rule required a red card - and therefore a suspension - as well as the award of a penalty under those circumstances.
However, players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead.
But deliberate fouls will still incur a red card."

No doubt in my mind he took the man when he didn't reach the ball, hence his foot up..

"Players who commit a foul to deny a goalscoring opportunity will no longer automatically be sent off, football's rule-making body has confirmed.
The previous 'triple-punishment' rule required a red card - and therefore a suspension - as well as the award of a penalty under those circumstances.
However, players committing accidental fouls that deny a goalscoring chance will now be cautioned instead.

No doubt in my mind he took the man when he didn't reach the ball, hence his foot up..

The difference is the length of the ban it seems- 1 game or 3 games.

If Mckeown gets 3 matches then the red was for studs up and dangerous play. If he gets one match ban then it was for denying a goalscoring opportunity.

Nah I think he is going for the ball. Recklessly going for the ball. And a very poor challenge. But still going for the ball. Still a red either way.

I look forward to see who Steve Evans will blame in the post-match press conference. Everybody but himself I would imagine.

Wonder if his move to China will be back on in a few weeks' time...?

Seems like DC may have called the Woodyard move correctly, i.e. not a great move for him football-wise. Take no pleasure from saying that as he's a good player and was obviously a terrific servant for us. No doubt the Cowleys would get him back here in a heartbeat if things really did go pear-shaped for him at Posh.

Odd one today, never known a derby feel like such a routine win.

Thought new lads settled in well enough. Bolger superb in the air. Rowe very lively when he came on.

Toffolo man of the match for me. Best game in an Imps shirt and fitting that he got the winner.

Toffolo has really impressed me in recent weeks. Consistent, solid at the back, and a threat going forward.

Just as well he's turned out to be a very good signing, as poor old Sam Habergham seems to have disappeared off the radar again. It's coming up now for a full calendar year since he got crocked... really pains me to say it as he was one of the heroes of the 16/17 campaign, but you'd have to start worrying about his future career in football if he can't get fit before the end of the season.

Anyone heard any updates on him lately?