January 2019 Transfer Window | Page 53 | Vital Football

January 2019 Transfer Window

• Thread starter Deleted member 7310
  • Start date
All I'm gunna say is it is no coincidence that we sell Moose for around £9-11m and we start to be linked instantly to Jarrod Bowen who, in my opinion, is exactly the sort of player we should be buying. If we can't compete with the mega-signing of Liverpool and Citeh, then aiming for players who have masses of potential is the right move. Bowen may not be the finished article but I can see that lad really turning into something special with Poch fitness and guidance and Kane/Sonny/Dele to learn from too.

This £50m figure makes no sense to me. We very, very rarely stray from a sell first, buy second plan.

No issue with these sort of signing.

But we have to spend big on a CM

Only ManC and Arsenal have scored more goals than us from open play. Only Liverpool and ManC have a better shot to goal conversion rate.

Only Manure and Liverpool ( 1 and 2 more respectively) have scored than us from set plays.

Only Bournmouth.leicester and Liverpool have scored more than us on the counter (1, 1 and liverpool 2 more).

We've had 3 penalties and scored them all.

Of course everyone would love to be the no.1. in all area's, but that's no indication that we're wantonly spawning chances .

Does the evidence suggestion we aren't ruthless and clinical infront of goal, or are most teams simply worse than us?

Perhaps it is the difference between being third and first - I think we can aspire to be first, but still don't believe our squad matches or beats the two teams above us - which have a respective #1 bill and 400 mill difference invested in their squads...
Even Poch has said a few times, along with Hugo and others, that we need to be more clinical in front of goal, so yes we must be spawning chance after chance if the manager and certain players admit to and comment on it in interviews.

No issue with these sort of signing.

But we have to spend big on a CM
I totally agree with you, if you cant go toe to toe with your opponent then fight smart. My issue is we have not been aggressive enough with potential. I'll list four players I wanted us to bid for in this envelope. Maddison/Coventry
Bony/Vitse Arnem
Maguire/Hull
Robertson/Hull
I deliberately draw attention to Bony because yes I get them wrong but one in four compares pretty favourably. It's Time to get proactive take risks. Wanbissaka
already looks beyond us.

Even Poch has said a few times, along with Hugo and others, that we need to be more clinical in front of goal, so yes we must be spawning chance after chance if the manager and certain players admit to and comment on it in interviews.

I get it. We should strive for perfection, but the point stands we are profligate in wasting chances, not on any statistical measure that we can draw meaning from.

I totally agree with you, if you cant go toe to toe with your opponent then fight smart. My issue is we have not been aggressive enough with potential. I'll list four players I wanted us to bid for in this envelope. Maddison/Coventry
Bony/Vitse Arnem
Maguire/Hull
Robertson/Hull
I deliberately draw attention to Bony because yes I get them wrong but one in four compares pretty favourably. It's Time to get proactive take risks. Wanbissaka
already looks beyond us.

Great points Spurdon. It's seems like it only takes a minute to go from a raw 16/17 year old worth next to nothing to a £50m player that everyone is after. My guess is that it doesn't take long either to get revalued back to £10-20m when the illusion is over for some of them. Be interesting to see what Fulham want for Sessegnon at this point. From what I've seen, nobody in the Prem fears him.

I get it. We should strive for perfection, but the point stands we are profligate in wasting chances, not on any statistical measure that we can draw meaning from.
But isn't that just what my argument was in the first place, that we waste so many chances that should and could have been put away?
And that if we hadn't spurned all those chances by being more clinical and ruthless, then we may well be top.
But we are where we are and hopefully we will improve on how we are doing.

But isn't that just what my argument was in the first place, that we waste so many chances that should and could have been put away?
And that if we hadn't spurned all those chances by being more clinical and ruthless, then we may well be top.
But we are where we are and hopefully we will improve on how we are doing.

My point was/is the difference in chances taken between the top 3 is miniscule - less than 2% overall; perhaps if I did an analysis of when we missed those chances, it would be more telling - but far from being wasteful, the stats tell us, we're actually pretty good - just short of the very best, which I agree would be incredible if we could be...

Poch considering recalling Josh Onamah from loan, he is currently injured and receiving treatment back with us. Poch said we have 13 days to make a decision.

Poch considering recalling Josh Onamah from loan, he is currently injured and receiving treatment back with us. Poch said we have 13 days to make a decision.

I hope he does! Let him sink or swim. Desperate times call for desperate measures etc. Worst case, we find out he’s not good enough and let him move on.

Was wondering about Josh. Didn't know he was injured though, I'd send him back. Too big an ask to go from not fit championship squad player to holding his own for us.

One of Poch's biggest managerial challenges....taking the raw talents of Josh and turning him into a top quality performer. I still think he'll make it.

If Josh don’t make it at Spurs I hope he does somewhere else. British players seem to be en vogue on the continent. Just saying. He’ll have better options than owls or villans out there. Regardless of what happens with him, whether he’s recalled and what happens down the road - one of Skipp, Sterling, Parrot, Eyoma for good measure, may be able to put in a shift. Poch’s comments I read on Sky Sports suggests he has a lot of faith in academy players. I am sure he’s saying it, in part, to build confidence. Which anyone who’s played the game will know is crucial in football. Along with the skill and fitness one would hope is prerequisite to inclusion in the squad in the first place.

And for “squad players” like Winks and Lamela, I’d imagine it’s good for Winks to grow with the added responsibility. When was Lamela’s last good game?

You know the old saying:
“A striker is for many seasons, not just for January, February and March”

Every single season Harry has an ankle injury , sometimes twice in a season, and every season Son pisses off for some tournament or other and then comes back out of form for another few weeks.

The fact that both events have occurred at the same time this season was going to happen sometime, gambling like that always backfires eventually.

Every single season Harry has an ankle injury , sometimes twice in a season, and every season Son pisses off for some tournament or other and then comes back out of form for another few weeks.

The fact that both events have occurred at the same time this season was going to happen sometime, gambling like that always backfires eventually.

We could all see it happening. Half the equation was definitely happening in Son.

Mauricio Pochettino says to try and find a replacement for Harry Kane in the transfer market would be a mistake and believes Tottenham have to find a “new star” from their academy.

Spurs look set to be without their talismanic striker Kane for up to two months following an ankle injury and Pochettino has suggested they are not going to target the January transfer window for reinforcements.

The club have been linked with the likes of Barcelona’s Brazilian forward Malcom.

But there are some exciting striking prospects coming through the club’s academy, with the likes of Kazaiah Sterling and Troy Parrott highly rated, and the Argentinian says Spurs are more likely to find their next big name striker there.

“I think in the end, if for another transfer window we don’t sign players or we are not going to sign a striker, that is not going to be a gamble, it’s not going to be a risk,” he said.

“I think we have players that can cope with that place when it’s not Harry Kane available and of course if we want to find a player similar to Harry Kane, I think we are going to make a mistake.

“Because to find another Harry Kane is impossible because we are talking about the three, four, five best strikers in the world.

“We have the possibility to create our new star through the academy.

“You know different names, I don’t want to say as that might not help, but of course that is our objective – to try to create the new star of Tottenham, to find him here in our academy, would be the most exciting thing.”

Pochettino has a track record of turning prospects into world-class players as Kane himself was a young striker still making his way when he arrived at the club four and a half years ago, while he has helped nurture Dele Alli into one of the best young players in Europe.

And he wants to continue looking to the future.

“We look back four and a half years ago, we did not find here Harry Kane or Dele Alli as big stars,” he added.

“When we look back, and we compare with another big club in Europe, the two most important players in the squad were building here in Tottenham.

“How many clubs did the same as us in the last four or five years? That is massive. It is a massive thing to be satisfied about, for us and our fans.

“You were able to create two and build two big star players like Dele Alli and Harry Kane. Why not make the effort to add a few players more? And to help the club step up?

“Not all is possible because of the period that we built these two stars, in the same moment we are building the new stadium.

“We need time. It’s about time. That is why our wish or our hope is the moment we finish the stadium, we can pay the debt quickly and start to invest with these younger players who can be big stars of the future. That is the dream.”

Anyone else just seen the interview on Sky with Leicesters Hamza Choudrey?? Really level headed lad and the clips they showed of him in action were quite impressive. Good in the tackle and would be a good DM option for us at a decent price I would say. Poch could work defensive wonders with him.

Mauricio Pochettino says to try and find a replacement for Harry Kane in the transfer market would be a mistake and believes Tottenham have to find a “new star” from their academy.

Spurs look set to be without their talismanic striker Kane for up to two months following an ankle injury and Pochettino has suggested they are not going to target the January transfer window for reinforcements.

The club have been linked with the likes of Barcelona’s Brazilian forward Malcom.

But there are some exciting striking prospects coming through the club’s academy, with the likes of Kazaiah Sterling and Troy Parrott highly rated, and the Argentinian says Spurs are more likely to find their next big name striker there.

“I think in the end, if for another transfer window we don’t sign players or we are not going to sign a striker, that is not going to be a gamble, it’s not going to be a risk,” he said.

“I think we have players that can cope with that place when it’s not Harry Kane available and of course if we want to find a player similar to Harry Kane, I think we are going to make a mistake.

“Because to find another Harry Kane is impossible because we are talking about the three, four, five best strikers in the world.

“We have the possibility to create our new star through the academy.

“You know different names, I don’t want to say as that might not help, but of course that is our objective – to try to create the new star of Tottenham, to find him here in our academy, would be the most exciting thing.”

Pochettino has a track record of turning prospects into world-class players as Kane himself was a young striker still making his way when he arrived at the club four and a half years ago, while he has helped nurture Dele Alli into one of the best young players in Europe.

And he wants to continue looking to the future.

“We look back four and a half years ago, we did not find here Harry Kane or Dele Alli as big stars,” he added.

“When we look back, and we compare with another big club in Europe, the two most important players in the squad were building here in Tottenham.

“How many clubs did the same as us in the last four or five years? That is massive. It is a massive thing to be satisfied about, for us and our fans.

“You were able to create two and build two big star players like Dele Alli and Harry Kane. Why not make the effort to add a few players more? And to help the club step up?

“Not all is possible because of the period that we built these two stars, in the same moment we are building the new stadium.

“We need time. It’s about time. That is why our wish or our hope is the moment we finish the stadium, we can pay the debt quickly and start to invest with these younger players who can be big stars of the future. That is the dream.”

Yeah, he's gonna find that star in 2 weeks eh?! 4 years + and found Winks amongst the academy and suddenly he sees the production line at full speed!

Then you look at the likes of KWP with MoTM performances and still can't get a game!

Harry Redknapp has questioned whether or not Tottenham should look to bring in a striker this January to replace the injured Harry Kane.

The England captain is expected to be out until March with an ankle injury, as reported by the Evening Standard.

Former Spurs manager Redknapp admitted that he would be looking to reinforce his squad if he was Mauricio Pochettino, but questioned how effective a new signing would be.

Speaking on Saturday Sav (BT Sport 1, Saturday January 19th, 11.30am), he said: “I’d be looking for one but I don’t know where you’d find one. Who’s around who’s better than Llorente even?

“You’re only going to get somebody where you’re going to say ‘I want you to come and play for me at Tottenham, you’re going to be in the team for the next five weeks, after that you’re out again because Harry’s fit’.

“It’s difficult. If you go there you’re going to be short term, that’s all you’re going to get.”

Question at 40 million and Dembele wages would anyone chance Arnaugtovic? It's not like he could not play with as well as instead of H. I only mention it because I've got an ITK....