January 2019 Transfer Window | Page 52 | Vital Football

January 2019 Transfer Window

• Thread starter Deleted member 7310
  • Start date
It's a difficult concept but I can actually believe that Levy would sanction £50m spending this window under the right terms. It's all about how football finances work.

Firstly, look at football transfers like the Walker vs Sanchez summer trade-off. For both deals, you negotiate the up front fee and then the stage payments over 2 or 3 years. Walker is a massive profit as we bought him for nothing when we signed him and Naughton and we sold him for £45-50m 10 years later. We take that profit in the year he's sold. Sanchez was £42m that gets amortised over the life of his contract. Within a year, we then offered him a new and even longer contract and amortised over an even longer term on the balance sheet. All the time the Walker stage payments are paying for the Sanchez ones.

Then you take our more recent business. We've only actually bought Moura in the last 2 windows and previous stage payments on players bought 2-3 years ago are ending, covering this cost. So for Levy to sanction purchases in this window is relatively easy. As long as the player is young enough and we can amortise their value over a long contract then we're in good shape. We also predict increased revenues based on new stadium / NFL etc and know that we can cover any purchase we make now over 2-3 years of repayments. We've also got players like Dembele rolling off the wage bill and more will follow.

It's simply a case of whatever we do now will be offset by what we won't do in the summer. Therefore, if the right player becomes available now then I expect us to make a move. If not, we sit on our wallets. What you won't see us do is sell our soul for an old mercenary that doesn't fit the business model of buying young with a resale value i.e. that's why Sanchez type deals work.

I'm pretty certain we will see an incoming player this window. I have a feeling it will be an U23 though as that works into the financial model.

It's a difficult concept but I can actually believe that Levy would sanction £50m spending this window under the right terms. It's all about how football finances work.

IMO, Levy and THFC need CL next season... in the new stadium. If that was Poch's remit for his new contract, Levy has no choice but to fund the necessities.

This is no longer about spending to kick on.... more likely spending to hang on!

If we have 50 to spend, I would go all out for a dominate DM. (or if we are not going to do that at least start playing Foyth or Sanchez in that role)

But like some of you have said, why should we spend big on a Kane back up...because that is all he will be....(we have that already in Llorente)
If we are going to spend significant chunks of money, do it on an immediate impact starter.

IMO, Levy and THFC need CL next season... in the new stadium. If that was Poch's remit for his new contract, Levy has no choice but to fund the necessities.

This is no longer about spending to kick on.... more likely spending to hang on!

I agree 100 percent

The stupid thing it’s going to cost MORE now that the few quid being saved in the summwe

Spending to hang on is a bit desperate. In our last half of football we battered Utd, our so called nearest rivals. They must still be pinching themselves that they got anything from that game, such was our superiority.

That being said, I'd happily see Spurs sign big now and not get into the summer tap dance with all the other clubs. Werner or Doucoure would have a huge impact in the coming months.

Saying that, a fit Eric Dier is probably as important as any new signing. Same with a South Korea loss in the last 16 or quarter finals next week. Same with our RB's getting their act together and putting in a string of decent performances for a change. Same with Dele and Moura finding their scoring boots.

Spending to hang on is a bit desperate. In our last half of football we battered Utd, our so called nearest rivals. They must still be pinching themselves that they got anything from that game, such was our superiority.

Problem is we didn;t score so however much we battered them it all counts for nothing unless we win.
For once I agree with moaning Maureen.
If all you have to show at the end of the day is really good looking footbal but no results ie trophies then basically all you have is a team with style over substance.
Basically here he is talking about Klopp and Poch.

"It's very easy to play 'well' and not win, it's very easy to be behind a certain idea of a certain football without results. The people win and the people that win consistently, because you can win isolated and then disappear, have a different idea about that.
"If you speak about Guardiola, about Ancelotti, about the ones in which I belong that have a career of victories for a long, long period, where are the young ones in terms of a real impact of results? Where are they?"

That being said, I'd happily see Spurs sign big now and not get into the summer tap dance with all the other clubs. Werner or Doucoure would have a huge impact in the coming months.

Saying that, a fit Eric Dier is probably as important as any new signing. Same with a South Korea loss in the last 16 or quarter finals next week. Same with our RB's getting their act together and putting in a string of decent performances for a change. Same with Dele and Moura finding their scoring boots.

Same with Eriksen sorting himself out so he doesn't go missing in the big games

You can't compare Klopp and Poch though. As likeable as Klopp is, his club have tried to buy the title, something THFC have never done. He happened to be in the same set of dominoes that saw Neymar go to PSG and on top of that his owner funded another £120m of net spending in his tenure at LFC. That's a different world to Poch to has been longer in the role and only got £40m of net spending over 5 years. The salaries bills won't compare either.

Also why Klopp and Pep are singing Poch's praises. Yes, we did batter Utd and on any other day our attacking players would have done the business like they normally do. That's just a subtlety of football.

When we're in that financial league, I can see an argument for less dependency on the young ones. For now though, that is our model in the same way as it was is for Dortmund and Athletico. Because Klopp came from that he now has best of both worlds with £75m Van Dijk joining young guns Gomez, Trent and Robertson.

Muttley, we all see things differently. IMO, yes, desperate as it may sound, don't be surprised if we get our 1st draw of the season v Fulham.

Honestly our two live wires (Son and Kane) absent, Eriksen and Dele have been very low key in the last 3/4 games, Sissoko out, Moura injured/returning. Hardly surprising I feel down about the the TW and the rest of the season. Past is not an indicator of the future so thinking we've got away with it and will do so again is a crazy approach to adopt.

Dele and Eriksen will have to raise their game. TBH, I find Dele the most frustrating. You give him responsibility and he seems to go in to arrogance/complacency mode. Watched him captain the side v Tranmere and imo he insulted the armband. Our forward play is always slowed down once he is in possession as he wants to pause and look for that fancy pass. Eriksen on the other hand moves the ball quickly but the quick recipients (Son and Kane) will be missing. With a makeshift midfield (Winks + Skipp?), the former two will have the added responsibility to drop deep.

A case of grind out results I feel.

Muttley, we all see things differently. IMO, yes, desperate as it may sound, don't be surprised if we get our 1st draw of the season v Fulham.

Honestly our two live wires (Son and Kane) absent, Eriksen and Dele have been very low key in the last 3/4 games, Sissoko out, Moura injured/returning. Hardly surprising I feel down about the the TW and the rest of the season. Past is not an indicator of the future so thinking we've got away with it and will do so again is a crazy approach to adopt.

Dele and Eriksen will have to raise their game. TBH, I find Dele the most frustrating. You give him responsibility and he seems to go in to arrogance/complacency mode. Watched him captain the side v Tranmere and imo he insulted the armband. Our forward play is always slowed down once he is in possession as he wants to pause and look for that fancy pass. Eriksen on the other hand moves the ball quickly but the quick recipients (Son and Kane) will be missing. With a makeshift midfield (Winks + Skipp?), the former two will have the added responsibility to drop deep.

Agree about Dele's first half performance against Tranmere. Said it many times that there's an area on the pitch to do the tricks and flicks and risk losing possession. When he comes back into his own half and does that stuff, it's truly frustrating and we'd all like to throw the tea cups at him at half time. However, then you see the other Dele who works relentlessly, retains possession, is an absolute handful with goals and assists. Totally different proposition and the one we need for the rest of the season.

As for Winks, I don't think it's an added responsibility to drop deep. I actually think that's his best position. Setting the tempo, working with the centre halves and orchestrating from deep is actually what he does best. What we'll miss though is the big, strong athlete covering every blade of grass alongside him. Sort of why I'd love to see priority given to the Doucoure transfer.

I'd be a lot happier if I saw Dier re-introduced into the setup and South Korea get beat on Tuesday. Things will looks differently then.

Sorry Muttley, seems I didn't make myself clear on that point. I was referring to (former being) Dele and Eriksen dropping deep.

Depending on whether Moura is fit, we could see Lamela paired with Winks and Moura up top.

I am with you 110% regarding Alli, I recall at the start of last season he was in his lackadaisical mode until Xmas. So, it's not something new. I think the imaginary halo over his head often gets in the way.

Sorry Muttley, seems I didn't make myself clear on that point. I was referring to (former being) Dele and Eriksen dropping deep.

Depending on whether Moura is fit, we could see Lamela paired with Winks and Moura up top.

Yeah, did occur to me the other day that it may not be working in our favour to keep Eriksen at the club if he's always the one that is being dropped into the water carrying role. Part of him must be thinking that may never happen at a top European side.

You can't compare Klopp and Poch though. As likeable as Klopp is, his club have tried to buy the title, something THFC have never done. He happened to be in the same set of dominoes that saw Neymar go to PSG and on top of that his owner funded another £120m of net spending in his tenure at LFC. That's a different world to Poch to has been longer in the role and only got £40m of net spending over 5 years. The salaries bills won't compare either.

Also why Klopp and Pep are singing Poch's praises. Yes, we did batter Utd and on any other day our attacking players would have done the business like they normally do. That's just a subtlety of football.

When we're in that financial league, I can see an argument for less dependency on the young ones. For now though, that is our model in the same way as it was is for Dortmund and Athletico. Because Klopp came from that he now has best of both worlds with £75m Van Dijk joining young guns Gomez, Trent and Robertson.
It is more to do with both of them playing good looking footbal and playing a certain way but not getting the expectedd results rather than comparing them as to how much they have spent.
Anyone who plays good looking and ecitinfg football is praised for the style of play, but that goes out of the window when the factor rought into play is no trophies in five years.
As for we would have scored on another day, we have battered loads of teams without scoring or just scoring the one goal, we have had plenty of games where we've had corners into double figures et bee unable to score from one of them.
Let's face facts, we just aren't clinical and ruthless enough in that final third, if we were then we'd be on the top of the pile instead of third.

Imagine if we could pick up a MF player that would fit right in and immediately strengthen a real problem area, and he only cost 11mil.

Letting Moose go seems suicidal now.

It is more to do with both of them playing good looking footbal and playing a certain way but not getting the expectedd results rather than comparing them as to how much they have spent.
Anyone who plays good looking and ecitinfg football is praised for the style of play, but that goes out of the window when the factor rought into play is no trophies in five years.
As for we would have scored on another day, we have battered loads of teams without scoring or just scoring the one goal, we have had plenty of games where we've had corners into double figures et bee unable to score from one of them.
Let's face facts, we just aren't clinical and ruthless enough in that final third, if we were then we'd be on the top of the pile instead of third.

Only ManC and Arsenal have scored more goals than us from open play. Only Liverpool and ManC have a better shot to goal conversion rate.

Only Manure and Liverpool ( 1 and 2 more respectively) have scored than us from set plays.

Only Bournmouth.leicester and Liverpool have scored more than us on the counter (1, 1 and liverpool 2 more).

We've had 3 penalties and scored them all.

Of course everyone would love to be the no.1. in all area's, but that's no indication that we're wantonly spawning chances .

Does the evidence suggestion we aren't ruthless and clinical infront of goal, or are most teams simply worse than us?

Perhaps it is the difference between being third and first - I think we can aspire to be first, but still don't believe our squad matches or beats the two teams above us - which have a respective #1 bill and 400 mill difference invested in their squads...

Imagine if we could pick up a MF player that would fit right in and immediately strengthen a real problem area, and he only cost 11mil.

Letting Moose go seems suicidal now.

He's finished and has been for a very long time; his long term hip (injuries) makes his contributions slim and have been for far too long.

He's done well for us, but we should have replaced him at least 1 season ago, perhaps even two.

All I'm gunna say is it is no coincidence that we sell Moose for around £9-11m and we start to be linked instantly to Jarrod Bowen who, in my opinion, is exactly the sort of player we should be buying. If we can't compete with the mega-signing of Liverpool and Citeh, then aiming for players who have masses of potential is the right move. Bowen may not be the finished article but I can see that lad really turning into something special with Poch fitness and guidance and Kane/Sonny/Dele to learn from too.

This £50m figure makes no sense to me. We very, very rarely stray from a sell first, buy second plan.

All I'm gunna say is it is no coincidence that we sell Moose for around £9-11m and we start to be linked instantly to Jarrod Bowen who, in my opinion, is exactly the sort of player we should be buying. If we can't compete with the mega-signing of Liverpool and Citeh, then aiming for players who have masses of potential is the right move. Bowen may not be the finished article but I can see that lad really turning into something special with Poch fitness and guidance and Kane/Sonny/Dele to learn from too.

This £50m figure makes no sense to me. We very, very rarely stray from a sell first, buy second plan.

Agree, but still a little confused about the impact of not signing anyone for a year. To my knowledge, when you sign a new player you pay money up front and stage payments over 2-3 years for the rest. That must be slowing down like crazy if you stop signing players. Doesn't that disrupt the usual zero net spending and sell first, buy second rules we're used to? It feels like it should to me :-)