Lloris; 'It's all about finishing in the Top4' ... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Lloris; 'It's all about finishing in the Top4' ...

Where we’ve come from? Do you mean the first club to do the double and English club to win a European trophy?
The achievements of many decades ago have no bearing on what is being achieved today. The past 15 odd years has been about steady growth from mid-table mediocrity to top 4 challengers and now title challengers(sadly not able to win one yet, but it'll come!).

City had De Bruyne, Mahrez and Aguero on the bench last night, I'm sure their fans and manager are quite happy with the squad.

Injuries will always happen, especially with how Poch works the players, I don't think we've had a season under him where we've gone a season without getting a lot of injuries. I think Kane has been out injured for over a month in every season as well.
Until our revenues go up, we can't have players of that quality sat on the bench. We don't pay enough for that. We have to accept where we are until the benefits of higher revenues from the stadium take effect.

Agree, you don't buy because of injuries. We know we'll see a natural attrition of Dembele, Vorm, Llorente based on their contracts and surely have to back ourselves to shift unwanted players like N'Koudou and Janssen.

There's plenty of space to buy a player that can have a short, mid and long term impact on this squad. With Dembele leaving, Doucoure would fit in that category. Amazing performer in the Prem right now and if he found new levels under Poch, then we'd have a major player on our hands. Price might be inhibitive though but when you hear we might get £10m for Dembele, you start to wonder whether we can find the other £30-40m.

Also, for a club that can't operate at the top end of the transfer market, isn't it mission critical that we're buying the best U21's. Dier, Dele at Spurs or Gomez, Robertson at Liverpool are great examples. Even buying them and loaning them back is a progressive move. Max Aarons would fit that category and I bet there are others on Spurs radar.

I still have a feeling that we'll assess where we are on the 29th/30th/31st of this month and see, at worst, a youngster or two come in.

City had De Bruyne, Mahrez and Aguero on the bench last night, I'm sure their fans and manager are quite happy with the squad.

Injuries will always happen, especially with how Poch works the players, I don't think we've had a season under him where we've gone a season without getting a lot of injuries. I think Kane has been out injured for over a month in every season as well.

Poch has certainly had to contend with a significant injury list.

Should Harry face a long spell on the sidelines, he will become the 10th Spurs player of 12 engaged at last summer’s World Cup to suffer a fitness setback. Eight of those have been muscular problems, the type caused by playing fatigue and no long down time.

Basically, exactly what I expected to happen with so many players playing through the summer, has.

We have a ridiculously thin squad at times, but we have the same number of players as most in the in the PL - but it's being able to afford the quality that matters, because it's that what really wins you silverware - not having the best 11 around on their day - and as of now, we cannot afford that type of luxury.

Sad, but true.

Dier had appendicitis, Kane was taken out by 2 players, Lamela had a virus, Wanyama injury was not by being overplayed, all our world cup players suffered due to no rest, that wasn't Poch's fault, it happens every 4 years and we had a lot of players taking part. Dembele has been crocked for years. Poch tries to rotate MF and wing backs if possible. Aurier injury is not through overplaying.

Sissokos possibly was due to overplaying. Constant sprinting in explosive bursts but we don't know how bad that is yet.

Agree, you don't buy because of injuries. We know we'll see a natural attrition of Dembele, Vorm, Llorente based on their contracts and surely have to back ourselves to shift unwanted players like N'Koudou and Janssen.

There's plenty of space to buy a player that can have a short, mid and long term impact on this squad. With Dembele leaving, Doucoure would fit in that category. Amazing performer in the Prem right now and if he found new levels under Poch, then we'd have a major player on our hands. Price might be inhibitive though but when you hear we might get £10m for Dembele, you start to wonder whether we can find the other £30-40m.

Also, for a club that can't operate at the top end of the transfer market, isn't it mission critical that we're buying the best U21's. Dier, Dele at Spurs or Gomez, Robertson at Liverpool are great examples. Even buying them and loaning them back is a progressive move. Max Aarons would fit that category and I bet there are others on Spurs radar.

I still have a feeling that we'll assess where we are on the 29th/30th/31st of this month and see, at worst, a youngster or two come in.

I know all of this must at times seem very simple and straight forward - but you'd probably be amazed at how many youngsters we try to approach through their advisors and get told 'no interest' or make demands that we would never agree to.

Even more mature, more able players will often not consider us when they know they might be second or even third choice in our squad, let alone forth placed players.

Agents make money when their clients are playing, they often don't or see their fees minimised when they aren't - and that's why agents will often advise their clients to sit tight.

Dier had appendicitis, Kane was taken out by 2 players, Lamela had a virus, Wanyama injury was not by being overplayed, all our world cup players suffered due to no rest, that wasn't Poch's fault, it happens every 4 years and we had a lot of players taking part. Dembele has been crocked for years. Poch tries to rotate MF and wing backs if possible. Aurier injury is not through overplaying.

Sissokos possibly was due to overplaying. Constant sprinting in explosive bursts but we don't know how bad that is yet.

I'd lay good money on Sissoko taking one for the team and having some injections into his groin this week.

The statement of the recruitment team was made knowing about the injury record of Lamela/Wanyama/Dembele and at a push Toby/Rose

Plus on a back of a WC in which we had players going in deep (ooooo eeeer misses)

I’m not having injuries as an excuse when it was obvious to most ?‍♂️

Agree about the statement, but all I'm saying is that there was a massive feeling of fans underrating the backup players we already had. We are where we are in mid January because this was never true and they've contributed massively e.g. Foyth. I love eating humble pie about Sissoko and will derive as much enjoyment if Llorente goes on a goalscoring spree and gets a years extension to his contract.

We have the biggest senior squad of Poch's entire tenure. Right now we have 3 GK's, 5 FB's, 4 CD, 5 CM, 6 AM's and 2 Fwds. Add to that Skipp, Marsh and Eyoma and we are about 28 players that Poch feels comfortable having in and around the squad excluding Janssen and Amos.

Sorry Kiny, but that is ancient history and we haven't reached those heights or anywhere near it in a very very long time.

No I was being flippant, sorry.

It’s as relivant as being saying “remember the 90s” to me

The achievements of many decades ago have no bearing on what is being achieved today. The past 15 odd years has been about steady growth from mid-table mediocrity to top 4 challengers and now title challengers(sadly not able to win one yet, but it'll come!).

We have world class players in the squad, our squad is certainly better than Arsenal and I would argue united who add the double whammy of being mismanaged.

It would be a shambles not to get top 4 this season

Last edited by a moderator:
I know all of this must at times seem very simple and straight forward - but you'd probably be amazed at how many youngsters we try to approach through their advisors and get told 'no interest' or make demands that we would never agree to.

Even more mature, more able players will often not consider us when they know they might be second or even third choice in our squad, let alone forth placed players.

Agents make money when their clients are playing, they often don't or see their fees minimised when they aren't - and that's why agents will often advise their clients to sit tight.

I get that Ex, but it's a results business. If our recruitment team can't build a value proposition of our club then shame on them. New stadium, state of the art training facilities, a manager who promotes youth and a squad coming into a period of transition where opportunities will come for the best youngsters. I'd also be reeling out Kane and Dele in their may hours of time out of training and playing and get them involved. What youngsters would resist Spurs when they have the England captain telling his story of youth player to England captain?

As you know, I just find it a bit strange that despite the complexities that you talk about, there is a lack of Troy Parrott's coming through the door right now.

We have world class players in the squad, our squad is certainly better than Arsenal and I would argue united who add the double whammy of being mismanaged.

It would be a shambles not to get top 4 this season
That's all about perception. We do have a few world class players. But they've only become world class under Poch coaching. We can't buy world class players............yet! But if your world class players are getting injured, or are fatigued by too many games etc(December was insane!!!), then top 4 will be nothing less than another bit of Poch magic IMHO :clap:

That's all about perception. We do have a few world class players. But they've only become world class under Poch coaching. We can't buy world class players............yet! But if your world class players are getting injured, or are fatigued by too many games etc(December was insane!!!), then top 4 will be nothing less than another bit of Poch magic IMHO :clap:

If your world class players are getting injured, any player for that matter you ask why.

Over use of key players because we didn’t strengthen or the manager not rotating (Jan at Huddersfield) is not magical.

If your world class players are getting injured, any player for that matter you ask why.

Over use of key players because we didn’t strengthen or the manager not rotating (Jan at Huddersfield) is not magical.
Injuries happen. It's part of football. Always has been. It's worse this year because of the World Cup and Poch getting no Pre-Season to get the players conditioned ready for the season ahead. If we didn't over-use key players(your words, not mine), then who knows, we might not be where we are - In all four comps., & 3rd in league. Spurs can't have loads of quality players waiting in the wings in case if injury. What on earth would we do with them all? A squad can only be 25 players.

"We have said that from the beginning and we have not changed our mind.Everyone is talking about the teams in front of us, but it is important to keep an eye on the teams behind because in football things can change very quickly.
"It is important to stay consistent and focus on the main things."

Sorry Hugo, wrong mental attitde, you have just told the teams behind you that you are scared of them and given them the encouragemebt that they needed.
Instead you should be focusing on the teams in front of you and how to catch them.
You''ll be looking over your shoulder so much that you will stuble and fall heavily because you have lost sight of where you are actually going.
Step up and be a CAPTAIN because that is what we NEED, a leader, on and off the pitch not someone who is scared of the following pack.

Last edited:
Muttley.good to see we are reading from the same page. They said about Churchill 'came the hour came the man'.It's now Llorente's time to save Spurs .We shall fight them on the beaches,etc,etc.

Injuries happen. It's part of football. Always has been. It's worse this year because of the World Cup and Poch getting no Pre-Season to get the players conditioned ready for the season ahead. If we didn't over-use key players(your words, not mine), then who knows, we might not be where we are - In all four comps., & 3rd in league. Spurs can't have loads of quality players waiting in the wings in case if injury. What on earth would we do with them all? A squad can only be 25 players.

The squad is bloated and all over the place

That’s again down to the recruitment team, a winning squad doesn’t complain about missing out games - see pool and city

Yep we are third with one of the teams that invested in the squad over taking us.

Sorry mate, he’s not.

This squad was apparently unable to be improved upon.

It’s should therefore be top 4 with ease
The issue of squad improvement is the same now as it was when Harry said the same thing......it’s not that it can’t be improved it’s just that those players who could improve us cost more than Levy’s budget.