January 2019 Transfer Window | Page 46 | Vital Football

January 2019 Transfer Window

• Thread starter Deleted member 7310
  • Start date
We keep hearing about operating in a different way....presumably that means finding the world’s best players as juniors ie: practically free, and paying them relative peanuts until they move to Utd, Madrid or Juventus. Unfortunately, clubs like Chelsea and Utd have stockpiled most of the top junior talent most of whom never see the light of day and the kids coming out of our academy show some promise but don’t look like world beaters yet.

I have seen nothing to suggest our scouting organisation have unearthed any gems other than those coveted by the clubs with the money to buy them.

The facts of life are that great players/prospects cost money both in transfer fees and wages and in spite of EX’s assurances that once the new stadium is up and running funds will flow, I have a hard time believing that given we are run by a guy who gave a contract to Mace to be in charge of building the new stadium without making them accountable.

Not about a Levy diatribe. Most of us get the bigger picture, but still know that standing still in the transfer market usually means going backwards. We also know the contract status of a bunch of our players and know that attrition of the squad is an inevitability at this stage. The right Jan business could just get us even ahead of the curve and I keep wondering whether someone like Doucoure might be that inspired signing.

I sort of agree with Poch about the performance. There must be a level of satisfaction by Poch knowing we battered Utd in the second half and created chances at will. That probably goes with the dissatisfaction of the reckless finishing and the couple of big refereeing decisions would be my guess. It would be hard of Poch to lay blame on his attacking players who so often find the back of the net. Quite rightly in my opinion, he's just putting it down to one of those days.

By the way, who clattered Kane in the last moments of the game. I saw it live, but never saw a replay? Phil Jones?

Jones was one of them but it was two players. One stood on his right foot which caused his left ankle to jar , then another came in and kicked Kane on his right ankle or foot. It was a triple whammy.

Not about a Levy diatribe. Most of us get the bigger picture, but still know that standing still in the transfer market usually means going backwards. We also know the contract status of a bunch of our players and know that attrition of the squad is an inevitability at this stage. The right Jan business could just get us even ahead of the curve and I keep wondering whether someone like Doucoure might be that inspired signing.

I sort of agree with Poch about the performance. There must be a level of satisfaction by Poch knowing we battered Utd in the second half and created chances at will. That probably goes with the dissatisfaction of the reckless finishing and the couple of big refereeing decisions would be my guess. It would be hard of Poch to lay blame on his attacking players who so often find the back of the net. Quite rightly in my opinion, he's just putting it down to one of those days.

By the way, who clattered Kane in the last moments of the game. I saw it live, but never saw a replay? Phil Jones?

No, it was Lindelof but it looked like he was trying to kick the ball not Kane

Get Drinkwater in now!!

Doucoure has said he wants to leave Watford but doubt we could afford him what with PSG in the mix.

I watched Leeds on Friday and still think Kemar Roofe is worth a punt.

We also want the young lad at Sunderland although that is one for the future.

Bournemouth apparently rate Brooks at £40M

I don't need to say anything because exactly everything I feel mutt has said. Not a diatribe, just a differing perspective. Spot on mate.

We keep hearing about operating in a different way....presumably that means finding the world’s best players as juniors ie: practically free, and paying them relative peanuts until they move to Utd, Madrid or Juventus. Unfortunately, clubs like Chelsea and Utd have stockpiled most of the top junior talent most of whom never see the light of day and the kids coming out of our academy show some promise but don’t look like world beaters yet.

I have seen nothing to suggest our scouting organisation have unearthed any gems other than those coveted by the clubs with the money to buy them.

The facts of life are that great players/prospects cost money both in transfer fees and wages and in spite of EX’s assurances that once the new stadium is up and running funds will flow, I have a hard time believing that given we are run by a guy who gave a contract to Mace to be in charge of building the new stadium without making them accountable.

I haven't given 'assurances' - all I've done is apply the logic of what has and still is the long term planning of the club:

Make profit = invest.

That's a fact that is and has happened.

The 'debate' is whether that should have been team first, which unquestionaly wouldn have meant significant losses (which can only go on for three years before FFP would kick in).

IF as we should now ALL be able to see the infrastructure is on place to generate higher net revenues, the choice of the owners will be clear;

Invest in player salaries and compete in the transfer market for better (more expensive) players or stripe the clubs cash via dividends - which is something they've never done on any scale...

So why would they build all this and then change their strategy?

It would be entirely stupid and illogical.

As for the type of contract they awarded to Mace - for large projects this is NOT unusual - in fact most new stadia deal across the World now work this way, as so few (if any) main Contractors will take the risk on directly.

We don't know the details in respect of liability management - so I wouldn't rush to any conclusions yet.

So, in simple terms - if we all understand the big picture; continuiously blaming one man for the business we do or do not do makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

There will be no one better placed to understand the challenges the squad faces and what can and cannot be done other than Poch.

He has yet again this weekend shows that he understands the financial reality.

It's up to him now if he accepts it and works within it, or walks.

So, in simple terms - if we all understand the big picture; continuiously blaming one man for the business we do or do not do makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

There will be no one better placed to understand the challenges the squad faces and what can and cannot be done other than Poch.

He has yet again this weekend shows that he understands the financial reality.

It's up to him now if he accepts it and works within it, or walks.

That being said, I have absolutely no sympathy for Levy's own personal brand and the reason he takes bullets, rightly or wrongly. Still waiting for him to have his epiphany moment in life where he figures out it doesn't need to be like this.

That being said, I have absolutely no sympathy for Levy's own personal brand and the reason he takes bullets, rightly or wrongly. Still waiting for him to have his epiphany moment in life where he figures out it doesn't need to be like this.

He'll never change - he took the decision along time ago not to be another upfront publicity higging Chairman: loved one minute, hated the next.

Will it?

I know we all subscribe to the Levy diatribe - but if you still think that Poch isn't an integral part of the clubs planning and budgetting - you really need to think again - I've said as much here many many times - as I know it to be true.

Finally, over the weekend, Poch validated this view:

Tottenham Hotspur cannot complete financially with their direct rivals in the Premier League.

manager_mauricio_pochettino_l_and_chairman_daniel_levy_on_stage__1056566.jpg

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino sat down for an exclusive interview with Sky Sports over the weekend, and explained how both he and Daniel Levy are in total agreement about how they need to take the club forward.

Spurs have been fairly impressive this season, in spite of yesterday's defeat to Manchester United at Wembley Stadium, and they currently sit in third spot in the Premier League table.

And Pochettino deserves great credit for the job that he has done over the past four-and-a-half years, especially considering the fact that he has had a minuscule transfer budget at his disposal in comparison to the rest of the top six managers.

The Argentine spoke exclusively to Sky Sports, and shared how Tottenham need to gain advantages in other areas, rather than just splash the cash, if they are to stand a chance of winning the league sometime soon:

"In private we talk a lot and in private we share ideas and we try to do things differently, because that is the most important thing. In this business everyone believes it's only about money, to operate in a different way is only money. It's so clear that Daniel 200 per cent agrees with me that we need to find the way to operate in a different way if we want to challenge the big sides."

The whole transfer committee is garbage isnt it?

You have the chairman who penny pinches
Scouts who scout players like N'Koudou/Janssen
and a manager who can only work with the smallest box of players that are ££££ - which takes to back to point 1.

If we are doing things differently, we are not doing a very good job of snapping up the cheap or young talent we want. We need to be smarter with transfers and we just don't seem to do it. We wait too long for a players value to go through the roof and then complain about not being able to compete financially.

Levy is starting to lose his grip on our contract situation and the club look set to lose massive transfer fee's on the likes of Toby and Eriksen if they decide to run their contracts down.

We do have some top talent coming through but we don't give enough chances imo. I'm surprised we havent seen Kaz Sterling get a few more chances in the first team in games like against Tranmere.

If we are doing things differently, we are not doing a very good job of snapping up the cheap or young talent we want. We need to be smarter with transfers and we just don't seem to do it. We wait too long for a players value to go through the roof and then complain about not being able to compete financially.

Levy is starting to lose his grip on our contract situation and the club look set to lose massive transfer fee's on the likes of Toby and Eriksen if they decide to run their contracts down.

We do have some top talent coming through but we don't give enough chances imo. I'm surprised we havent seen Kaz Sterling get a few more chances in the first team in games like against Tranmere.

Missing out on Brookes and Maddison another example of taking the eye off the ball, two players that would fit our MO.

It is a complete myth we give academy players more of a chance than others.

The whole transfer committee is garbage isnt it?

You have the chairman who penny pinches
Scouts who scout players like N'Koudou/Janssen
and a manager who can only work with the smallest box of players that are ££££ - which takes to back to point 1.

The head scout(s) that scouted N'koudou and Janssen were replaced by Steve (as an aside, Nkoudou is now being spoken of in the Eto class!! And looks set to be soon be getting a big money move! eeek!)

NO question, they all have to work within a budget that is generated by our financial position;

It's why we're building a stadium capable of all year round use.

It's a Chicken and Egg situation; the bus has gone that allowed owners to chuck in fast sums for players without liability (brought in to protect clubs who went through the boom and bust scenario).

We've maintained a 50-55% of rev's payment structure (that which is recommended by UEFA and EBA - which is now a stalwart of the FFPR!)

It's circular argument now, our strategy is there for all to see - if it works, we are transported into one of Europe's elite clubs that will within a decade be able to (financially) compete with all of them...

Missing out on Brookes and Maddison another example of taking the eye off the ball, two players that would fit our MO.

Yet still we have more minutes accumulated by our Academy in the PL than any other club in it.

- How do we square the circle?

Not so sure of Brooks at all, as for Maddison it looks like a big miss - but he and his team insisted on joining a PL club that would guarantee him a PL place and playing time, and we know Poch won't do that deal for anyone...is he wrong?

Last edited:
Not so sure of Brooks at all, as for Maddison it looks like a big miss - but he and his team insisted on joing a PL club that would guarantee him a PL place and playing time, and we know Poch won't do that deal for anyone...is he wrong?
If you're not sure on Brookes get down to spec savers fast Maddison well I was banging that drum since Coventry. Brookes will be twice as good as him by the way. And You mean Cliton N'jie not N'kudo

Yet still we have more minutes accumulated by our Academy in the PL than any other club in it.

- How do we square the circle?

But the way we go on about the Academy is our team is full of players via it.

We have Kane and Winks who can be classed as first team regulars from it.

Arsenal Have Iwobi

United Rasford

etc etc

If you're not sure on Brookes get down to spec savers fast Maddison well I was banging that drum since Coventry. Brookes will be twice as good as him by the way. And You mean Cliton N'jie not N'kudo

I do totally endorse Matic's point though. Where's the aggression in the transfer market for these kids. Troy Parrott is 16 and seems like the only player in a couple of years we've grabbed. Some of our best signings like Bale, Walker, Lennon, Rose, Dele have been at the 16-19 age group. When you can't compete at the other end of the spectrum, this end is mission critical for a successful club especially when you have a great story with the manager giving them chances.

Brooks is different though. He's already 21 and playing week, in week out in the Prem. Depending on what you read, we may or may not have tried to sign him from Sheff Utd in the summer and could have been long term admirers. Like with Sessegnon, the ships sailed on that one once the big money is talked about.

You're right I did get my N's mixed up! But as for Maddison, he was demanding something we'd never give him - an automatic starting place, so the debate about him is moot.

Last edited: