More interested in Eaves... | Vital Football

More interested in Eaves...

SteveTreacle

Vital 1st Team Regular
We desperately need to get Tom signed up from an on field and business point of view. To lose him would be devastating for the team and as that would likely be on a free equally damaging for the club financially. Scally is a businessman and should be speculating to accumulate. It would be nice to hear a bit more assurance from chairman and manager that this is happening.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...om-eaves-hibs-neil-lennon-gillingham-january/

Don't like that last paragraph, makes it sound like we only opened talks with Tom because of interest from Hibs, I'd like to think we were at least in negotiations long before that ?

Don't like that last paragraph, makes it sound like we only opened talks with Tom because of interest from Hibs, I'd like to think we were at least in negotiations long before that ?
Hopefully, that is just the usual journalistic short-hand rather than an in-depth report.

I maybe wrong, but I thought Eaves had been offered and was considering a new contract - and prior to Nov 23rd.

SL said a while back he was talking to Tom about the future. The 2 problems in keeping him are 1/. that Tom will not be on a big salary with us. Also 2/. we have a chairman who needs to maximise quick profits. As a club we get more money if the buying club has to pay up part of a players contract. Clubs (and agents!) know this and will offer a player more personally to not re-sign as it will be cheaper for them in the long run.
The positives are that Tom likes working with Steve and hopefully that has a value too.

If Tom leaves in January, that's us all but relegated.

Unless of course the money we make from the sale goes back into the team, but that's nonsense talk. When was the last time that happened?

These bits are key:

"I am enjoying my football more than I ever have at the moment and that is great for me. There have been reports of contract talks and speculation and we will see what the next few weeks bring.

"Ultimately, I will be doing what I feel is best for myself and how I am going to be happiest. I am certainly enjoying my time here.
I feel I am doing what I should have been doing years ago."

I read this to say that he's ours to keep if we want him. All the club needs to do is show the same commitment to him as we want him to show us.

Tom is enjoying "[his] football more than ever". If a pay rise is then added with the knowledge that if a bigger club really want him they'll be able to get him, why the fck would he want to let to risk letting his contract run down?

FFS Scally, offer Eaves an improved deal with a reasonable buy out clause NOW!!