Defoe&Long | Vital Football

Defoe&Long

Rod Currie

Vital Football Legend
Accordin to Alan Biggs Jermaine Defoe&Shane Long are both on our Chris's wish list for January,i just wondered what mi fellow BLADES think.UTCB

Accordin to Alan Biggs Jermaine Defoe&Shane Long are both on our Chris's wish list for January,i just wondered what mi fellow BLADES think.UTCB
defoe has been mentioned quite a bit on s2 board and we know chris has liked long for a while now if rumours are to be believed long would be the one for me but i still think we need a target man type to come in to give us somat a bit different up top

They will have combined age of 68 come January. Not for me thanks, we’ve had enough old crocks getting thier final pay packets at the Lane over the years. I thought Dean Hammond would have been the final straw.

I’d sooner us look at a younger player in the lower leagues.

They will have combined age of 68 come January. Not for me thanks, we’ve had enough old crocks getting thier final pay packets at the Lane over the years. I thought Dean Hammond would have been the final straw.

I’d sooner us look at a younger player in the lower leagues.
defoe is a no from me gray but i do think long is worth a look doesnt score in the prem but i think he would score plenty in the championship youve only got to look at the mitrovich situation for proof that its a lot easier scoring in this league than prem wonder if chris might go for a double swoop with gallagher coming in as well we know he likes both these players

defoe is a no from me gray but i do think long is worth a look doesnt score in the prem but i think he would score plenty in the championship youve only got to look at the mitrovich situation for proof that its a lot easier scoring in this league than prem wonder if chris might go for a double swoop with gallagher coming in as well we know he likes both these players
Just out of interest why such a downer on Defoe? He's gor a far better scorin record than Long.UTCB

Just out of interest why such a downer on Defoe? He's gor a far better scorin record than Long.UTCB
yeah agreed rod but hes 35 dont get me wrong wouldnt be a bad signing but i would prefer long mind depends on wages i suppose what do you think of my idea of taking a punt on kiefer ?

Defoe has been part of the 18 in all but one of Bournemouth's games this year. Seems to confirm he is an important member of Howe's squad, may change in January who knows.

Anyone remember Kevin Phillips when he got 'too old' at Sunderland then and he still went on scoring at Southampton, West Brom and Birmingham till he was 37.? I see Defoe as that kind of player. He's kept fit and healthy through his career and is still capable of getting a few goals. Less convinced about Long, tbh...

In my case it’s because he’s 36, broke his ankle nearly a year ago and hardly played a game for the first team since mate.

Nothing against him as a player, if he was match fit and had a few recent games under his belt maybe he’d be worth a gamble, but then again he probably wouldn’t leave Bournemouth if that was the case. The last thing we want is another crock who’s going to take months to get up to speed if at all. We’ve done that so often before, Dean Hammond was going to turn around our season, Leicester had our pants down there.

Last edited:
Anyone remember Kevin Phillips when he got 'too old' at Sunderland then and he still went on scoring at Southampton, West Brom and Birmingham till he was 37.? I see Defoe as that kind of player. He's kept fit and healthy through his career and is still capable of getting a few goals. Less convinced about Long, tbh...
He’s been on the pitch 4 times since last December FKB, too big a risk for me

Last edited:
In my case it’s because he’s 36, broke his ankle nearly a year ago and hardly played a game for the first team since mate.

Nothing against him as a player, if he was match fit and had a few recent games under his belt maybe he’d be worth a gamble, but then again he probably wouldn’t leave Bournemouth if that was the case. The last thing we want is another crock who’s going to take months to get up to speed if at all. We’ve done that so often before, Dean Hammond was going to turn around our season, Leicester had our pants down there.
I trust our Chris's judgement,dunt forget Hammond was signed cos Adkins insisted on gerrin him and as i recall plenty of forum dwellers wanted him also. UTCB

I trust our Chris's judgement,dunt forget Hammond was signed cos Adkins insisted on gerrin him and as i recall plenty of forum dwellers wanted him also. UTCB
i still think we need a target man at least that would give our wide men a target to hit instead of it constantly going backwards and back in to middle again we need to try something a little different when teams park everybody behind the ball personally i would like to see 3 players come in

Defoe at the right money till end of season is a big yes, scored goals everywhere and we have gambled on worse, look at last seasons January signings. Prefer Gallagher to Long due to age, but at the right price.

I also trust my own experiences Rod and in my experience, not many players come back after a bad injury at that age and I guess the fact that he’s hardly played says it all. If he was anything like the player he was before the injury surely he’d be getting some regular game time by now even if it was just off the bench to try and turn a game? According to reports, he was back in training by the end of February so what’s been the problem?

We need somebody to hit the ground running pal who can hopefully start games, we won’t have the luxury of giving somebody time in the hope he’ll eventually get match fit and do s job. (IMO) UTB

Defoe at the right money till end of season is a big yes, scored goals everywhere and we have gambled on worse, look at last seasons January signings. Prefer Gallagher to Long due to age, but at the right price.
The one I think we should have signed was Dack from Gillingham. He’s lost about a stone in weight since he joined Blackburn and looks a real player now.