Tonight’s match - Mansfield v Scunny | Page 7 | Vital Football

Tonight’s match - Mansfield v Scunny

Has anyone ever won it twice on the trot?

Good question. Don't think so?
But not expecting us to do it again. Every extra game though a bonus financially and for player extra game time.

Tough next time with three of the possible opponents defeated by us last season (And wanting a mild dose of revenge) or else the biggest club in it...

Has anyone ever won it twice on the trot?

No - closest is Blackpool who won it two years out of three - 2002 and 2004.

Four teams have appeared in successive finals:

Stockport in 1992 (lost) and 1993 (lost)
Southend in 2004 (lost) and 2005 (lost)
Carlisle in 2010 (lost) and 2011 (won)
Oxford United in 2016 (lost) and 2017 (lost)

The stat I like concerns Stoke and Port Vale: each time Stoke have won it (twice), Port Vale have won it the following season.

It appears that if you are in successive finals, you have a 75% chance of replicating your first result. This bodes very well for City if we make it to Wembley.

mmm, statistics and rose tinted glasses................

rochdale had their pitch relaid with fa cup money, before their game with spurs last season.

No they didn't, they took action against the company that relaid the pitch in the previous summer. Furthermore, Spurs ahead of their FA Cup tie at Spotland made a contribution to the relaying of the pitch in advance of funds forthcoming from Rochdale's contractual action coming available to them.

OK we are lucky to get through, but I hope we make more of a fist of progressing than we have to date.
DC, quite rightly, will apply the same selection policy, so it's up to the likes of Slocombe and Crookes for the next round at least. Will O'Connor or Wilson be available?

DC, quite rightly, will apply the same selection policy, so it's up to the likes of Slocombe and Crookes for the next round at least. Will O'Connor or Wilson be available?
I'm not so sure about that. Team selection may depend upon whether we have reached the third round of the FA Cup a few days before. If the Checkatrade is the only cup competition remaining, DC will probably play a stronger team in it. Remember, we will also know which team we are playing in the FA Cup third round by then, and that may also have an impact on selections.

As for O'Connor and Wilson, refer to the Yellow Card thread:

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/yellow-cards-current-state-of-play.85614/page-2

Crookes has improved each time but Slocombe gives me no confidence at all.
When is his loan up? And could another loaner keeper be brought in and when?

Crookes has improved each time but Slocombe gives me no confidence at all.
When is his loan up? And could another loaner keeper be brought in and when?

He may give you more confidence if he can get some protection from a first choice defence.

Question - Would you choose

Slocombe - with
Eardley, Bostwick, Shackell, Toffolo

Or

Vickers - with
Gordon, Crookes, Wharton, Toffolo (2nd 1/2 back 4 v Wolves) ?

I would prefer an ordinary goalkeeper behind an excellent defence, rather than an excellent goalkeeper behind an ordinary defence.

Like the question you ask a novice guitarist: expensive guitar into a cheap amplifier, or cheap guitar into an expensive amplifier?

I'm not so sure about that. Team selection may depend upon whether we have reached the third round of the FA Cup a few days before. If the Checkatrade is the only cup competition remaining, DC will probably play a stronger team in it. Remember, we will also know which team we are playing in the FA Cup third round by then, and that may also have an impact on selections.

As for O'Connor and Wilson, refer to the Yellow Card thread:

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/yellow-cards-current-state-of-play.85614/page-2
Ta - should have known reds would be under yellows :grinning:

He may give you more confidence if he can get some protection from a first choice defence.

Question - Would you choose

Slocombe - with
Eardley, Bostwick, Shackell, Toffolo

Or

Vickers - with
Gordon, Crookes, Wharton, Toffolo (2nd 1/2 back 4 v Wolves) ?

Well a fairer question (not a choice of 1 good 4 bad vs 1 bad 4 good) would be of the 5 defenders would it be best for the keeper to be the weakest or one of the back four in front of him to be the weakest ?
Think I would definitely NOT want the keeper to be the weakest link...