Rate the ref v Cambridge United (home) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Rate the ref v Cambridge United (home)

Do some of these clowns employed by the Football League actually get a kick out of fucking clubs like us over? Never in a million years is that a red card, and we should have had a penalty for the foul on Akinde.
It must be bad if Jules is swearing on his own board.

I have watched thousands of games of football and I cannot think of a more inept display. I don't think he would be capable of refereeing a Saturday morning kids game. There was the sending off - why didn't he take his time and consult his linesman and/or the fourth official, the two penalty claims within a few seconds of each other, incorrect calls on throw-in and corners... the list goes on. It looked like an easy game to ref in the first twenty minutes, and he single-handedly ruined the game as a spectacle. He should personally refund the admission fees to the 9100 who attended. If that is the standard that is required to ref a League 2 game, then I think I am in the wrong profession. If Mr Collins had flipped a coin every time he wanted to make a decision, then I reckon he would have got a higher proportion of his decisions correct today. Sunday League Division Eleven would be a suitable level for him. I will award him 0.5 points for managing to make the ground on time and not being stuck in traffic.

Didn’t know whether to wait until I’d calmed down before commenting but sod it, would it be easier to mention the decisions that he got correct ?
I reckon 3 missed pens, two for us, one for them, obvious major blunder with the red (which will be overturned)
Countless other very odd decisions,
Ruined what would have been a good game ? ruined my weekend
1/10
Also over generous?

The chants of "your not fit to referee' from 9000 fans says it all for me. Danny was fuming during his interview after the game and he doesn't normally moan too much about referees. As has been stated previously, he was a useless ####. 0 for me too.

4 (and I mark generously). He was so bad that Danny Cowley felt that Vickers could pull the fake injury ploy - twice.

However, he probably got both penalty calls right. The Cambridge one I couldn't be sure about as it wasn't clear on the stream, the Akinde one was absolutely definitely not a pen.

He also managed to read his watch with accuracy.
4??????

Zero. I'd have given him a point and a slither of respect if he'd just fucked off at half time. Should never ref again.
And if the doughnuts at the FA don't overturn that red card, the game is gone.
I am seething.

Just got back to Salford and still seething. What a pathetic jumped up little man. He positively sprinted over like a demented baboon desperately scrabbling to get the red out of his pocket for what was a slightly late routine mistimed tackle. I don't know what brought him the most pleasure; the opportunity to ruin a perfectly good game of football or the chance to send off a young kid. Perhaps it was simply that as there hadn't been any fouls in the preceding 20 minutes he had become frustrated at not being able to strut his stuff and blow his nice shiny whistle enabling him to be the centre of attention. What a complete and utter ****. A big fat zero.

You’ve mentioned an important point about the first 20 minutes. Until then that was a tremendous game of football, with no interference from the referee. However I was thinking at the time he was overly lenient, subsequent events showed it was more a case of incompetence. It certainly now appears he was itching to make his mark on the game. He certainly did that and took centre stage, in the course of ruining what could have been a great game. All credit to Cambridge by the way, they looked far better than their League position and also suffered from bad decisions.

Yep, why not? 4 used to be the lowest mark you could get in the People and he was a shocker, but not absolutely every decision was a wrong one. Just every other one.

And you might not be aware GBL that I am used to Spanish referees. This fellow would probably be on the La Liga list. Imagine losing at home to Real Madrid in the 95th minute after the award of a penalty following a foul on your own player!

This incident sparked a major controversy in Spain, TV even got the referee in the studio one year after the event to "explain" his decision.

edit: If you want to watch that clip it looks like you might have to do it through youtube

Zero. 210 mile round to watch a game ruined by this idiot. Both sets of fans short changed by this guy who was not even fit, constantly flexing his leg second half fighting crap and eating energy gels....embarrassing for him and the fa but don’t expect anything to be done about this

I have watched thousands of games of football and I cannot think of a more inept display. I don't think he would be capable of refereeing a Saturday morning kids game. There was the sending off - why didn't he take his time and consult his linesman and/or the fourth official, the two penalty claims within a few seconds of each other, incorrect calls on throw-in and corners... the list goes on. It looked like an easy game to ref in the first twenty minutes, and he single-handedly ruined the game as a spectacle. He should personally refund the admission fees to the 9100 who attended. If that is the standard that is required to ref a League 2 game, then I think I am in the wrong profession. If Mr Collins had flipped a coin every time he wanted to make a decision, then I reckon he would have got a higher proportion of his decisions correct today. Sunday League Division Eleven would be a suitable level for him. I will award him 0.5 points for managing to make the ground on time and not being stuck in traffic.

Did you go to Notts County at home last season? For me the ref that day became the standard bearer for appalling officiating that the gentleman today did not quite reach.

1/10 for managing to wear a shirt that didn't clash with either side!
Didn't see a tackle worthy of a card all game, besides maybe what should have been a penalty for them. If not a pen then a card for a dive, but neither!
When the Cambridge manager says he'll help with the red appeal that is all you need to know about an absolutely shocking decision.
If that fella is a football league referee I'll stand hanging. I also expect to see Anthony Backhouse take charge of a champions league game and Jarnail Singh getting the next World Cup final.
It clashed with Vickers shirt, you've been too generous, 0/10

I have thought long and hard about the ref's performance today and I have come to the same conclusion that I did at the game. He was nothing more than a useless lump of dog turd!

The sending off is a clear cut decision to rescind. Other (many) mistakes made the man look a complete fool. I don't think I have ever heard a louder chant of "You're not fit to referee" to any previous incumbent. Deserved too!

My score: a very generous 0.5/10

Overall his performance was pretty dire- however looking at the Chapman tackle on EFL and the ref's view of the tackle, it is a red all day long and will not be overturned on appeal. It is reckless. His foot his almost knee high when it comes into contact with their No 6. Thought it was an atrocious decision at the ground- but, it's clearly a red card.

But he then went into melt down- over ruling linesman, failing to control the slow play of BOTH goalkeepers, missing either stonewall penalties or stone wall yellow cards for diving.

2/10