This weekend. | Page 2 | Vital Football

This weekend.

Well if we get into a downward spiral it would certainly not be a bad idea to bin off Garner and Windass at the next window and re-call Walker and Cole. Up to now they would have done no worse than those two.
How bad must McManaman be to be behind those two in the pecking order.

Yes great idea bring back two players who can't make the starting eleven in the league below! A masterstroke!!

It doesn't matter as much who we play as it matters how we play.

If we are negative, with the fullbacks not attacking, the def mid not picking picking up the ball deep to play it out, the attacking mid not making runs and leaving the striker isolated - resulting in just long balls (basically what we did against Preston) - we will lose.

If we do the opposite of those things and get back to all the things that gave us a good start to the season, we will give a very strong West Brom side a game and give ourselves a chance.

I'd start McMannaman on the right and drop Windass - he will be desperate to do his old club over after having such a horrible time there. I'd fancy him to put on a good display and we all know what he can do when he's on song.

I'd start Garner, i don't think he's done a lot wrong but he's had zero support and service - if the rest of the team are failing to give him that dropping him wont fix the problem. If we can get the midfield up and around him and give him some crosses to attack he's proven over his career he knows where the net is. He's quite strong and better in the air than you'd imagine for a guy of his size, but he's no Andy Carroll or Emile Heskey so we've got to stop playing as if he is.

He's hardly played so far for Burton (who are L1 mid table) - usually an unused sub.
Ah, but Sid, you forget about the "ex player rule", which states that a player's competence, ability and potential triples as soon as they're out of a WN postcode, with the added mystique of that increasing further proportionately with the fewer games they actually played for us.

Amazing.

We're always pretty shite after international breaks for some reason. We've a few injuries to Grigg, Powell?and Garner? plus the suspended Gibson. Our form at present isn't great and although we've ground out a few results we are no where near as fluent in our style of play, in fact I'd argue we've regressed since the start of the season. West Brom are decent and have a strong strike force.

All things considered I can see us getting humped on Saturday and are likely heading into a period of poor results between now and the next international break given the up coming fixtures. Hopefully we can come out of it without being dragged too far into the relegation mix.

Ah, but Sid, you forget about the "ex player rule", which states that a player's competence, ability and potential triples as soon as they're out of a WN postcode, with the added mystique of that increasing further proportionately with the fewer games they actually played for us.

Amazing.

Quite true that Moonay, forgot about the remarkable improvement some see in players we send out on loan and don't play!

The funny thing with football is in situations like this when things look the most against you and the most nailed on for a loss could be the week we cause a big upset and play great.

I suspect West Brom likely had more lads away on internationals than us so maybe the break will actually take more out of them than us. You never know with Wigan, we never do anything by the form book.

Regarind Walker and Cole, the fact they aren't first team regulars in L1 i feel makes Cooks decision to offload look like a good one than some of us maybe thought it was at the time. If they can't hold down a 1st team spot in the league below, other than cover for injuries it's unlikely they'd be offering us more than the lads who are playing as it is.

Well if we get into a downward spiral it would certainly not be a bad idea to bin off Garner and Windass at the next window and re-call Walker and Cole. Up to now they would have done no worse than those two.
How bad must McManaman be to be behind those two in the pecking order.

Forgive me if I am wrong but hasn't PC said that Callum is still recovering from injury and not fully fit.

I just wonder if Cooks experiment at Preston could be a hint that he is considering three at the back.

Perhaps,
Walton
Kipre Dunkley Burn
James Morsy Evans Robinson
Jacobs Powell
Garner/Windass

We're always pretty shite after international breaks for some reason. We've a few injuries to Grigg, Powell?and Garner? plus the suspended Gibson. Our form at present isn't great and although we've ground out a few results we are no where near as fluent in our style of play, in fact I'd argue we've regressed since the start of the season. West Brom are decent and have a strong strike force.

All things considered I can see us getting humped on Saturday and are likely heading into a period of poor results between now and the next international break given the up coming fixtures. Hopefully we can come out of it without being dragged too far into the relegation mix.

corect

what is it with us and internateonal footy interupting are flow. but like you said. and i did as well before mooney tried to call a spade a pickaxe, are form, recently hasnt been that good. and i meen that overall. even in the wins are game has been a bit lacking in parts and i can see holes apeering. and i think this falls into your coment about the fluentcy of are style. i agree as well. i think we are going backwards. but theres no need for calls to the samaretans just yet. for some anywey.

west brom are going to be a tough nut to crack and like i sed in my post erlier i think itll be down to who cook selects on the dey. this is going to be a test of his caliber of manegement at chameonship level. heers hoping that the only humping going on this sat is not the sort you talked about.

oh mooney. pleese tell me that the 'get a grip lad' at the end of your last post werent trying to hint at sommart.

Brick mate, how much of our failing form do you attribute to the injuries we have had. I'm thinking of the likes of Massey, Vaughan, and now Grigg, although according to PC he has been carrying a knock for a few weeks. There is also Callum McManaman who is struggling for fitness and apparently carrying an injury. We have seemingly been a little unlucky this season with injuries and with a small squad it must have an effect. By the way this in no way excuses the performance against Preston as PC admitted he had a selection headache as all but one of the squad were available.

fare points tb about injuries. and agen your rite they do pley some part but some of the selcteons of late have made a few of us look up and think wtf. i no i no that callum has alweys struggled with his fitness but some of the late showings of him in the game are a bit out of order for such a lad. when he came on last time he were involved straight awey and put in a perler that shuold of been better finished.

i think my point is prob aimed at the mojo of the teem as well as are form. i cant put my finger on it but sommart dont feel just rite. maybe its been the uncertenty of the takeover. maybe cook is strugling with puting teems out agenst bigger and better opositeon and needs time to ajust. the jan window cant come qwick enough for me an all.

fare points tb about injuries. and agen your rite they do pley some part but some of the selcteons of late have made a few of us look up and think wtf. i no i no that callum has alweys struggled with his fitness but some of the late showings of him in the game are a bit out of order for such a lad. when he came on last time he were involved straight awey and put in a perler that shuold of been better finished.

i think my point is prob aimed at the mojo of the teem as well as are form. i cant put my finger on it but sommart dont feel just rite. maybe its been the uncertenty of the takeover. maybe cook is strugling with puting teems out agenst bigger and better opositeon and needs time to ajust. the jan window cant come qwick enough for me an all.

All the sounds coming from the dressing room are of a squad very much together. I do agree that at first sight the substitution of Burn for Powell made me think wtf, however when I thought about it there was method in the madness as it bolstered our defence whilst allowing Robinson and James to get forward more.

Callums introduction later in games is possibly the result of a lack of fitness or a slight injury and hopefully can be resolved sooner rather than later and he can rightfully take a regular starting place. I never thought I would be saying this but we miss Massey. His pace going forward earlier in the season and his covering when James went forward is sadly lacking at the moment.

Robinson is not a natural defender and his recent displays have highlighted this, he is much better going forward and if he is to do this someone has to drop back to cover, sadly that is not Windass' game. Connolly is better suited to that role but unfortunately he has not got the pace to trouble anyone going forward so the wing spot is not comfortable to him. Callum is the ideal solution and I am sure that when he is fully fit and firing that will be where he finds his spot.

All the sounds coming from the dressing room are of a squad very much together. I do agree that at first sight the substitution of Burn for Powell made me think wtf, however when I thought about it there was method in the madness as it bolstered our defence whilst allowing Robinson and James to get forward more.

Callums introduction later in games is possibly the result of a lack of fitness or a slight injury and hopefully can be resolved sooner rather than later and he can rightfully take a regular starting place. I never thought I would be saying this but we miss Massey. His pace going forward earlier in the season and his covering when James went forward is sadly lacking at the moment.

Robinson is not a natural defender and his recent displays have highlighted this, he is much better going forward and if he is to do this someone has to drop back to cover, sadly that is not Windass' game. Connolly is better suited to that role but unfortunately he has not got the pace to trouble anyone going forward so the wing spot is not comfortable to him. Callum is the ideal solution and I am sure that when he is fully fit and firing that will be where he finds his spot.

i bow to your beter nowledge of the dressing room tb mate. its gotta be beter than grips dogs eh. :LOL:

thing about callum tho is hes only geting them scraps at the end of the games. 15 mins on average. point is to, that when he comes on we can all see his quality. he can change games around for us. and he still has it when he runs at the defense. heer it comes. but. if hes only geting this amount of game time then gotta ask is this down to his firtness levels. if it is then hes miles away from a start.

youve ritely. in my opineon. hilited robinsons nout suited to his positeon and that connoly lacks pace and i agree we are missing massey for that pace. if we could get him and callum fit together then maybe theres a part soluteon.

were lacking a bit in depth for me. its not cooks falt i dont think as his hands mite of been tied. so not getting humped at the weekend will be a good start and if we can keep up with the pack til new yeer and then have a good window then ill be happy

.......... oh mooney. pleese tell me that the 'get a grip lad' at the end of your last post werent trying to hint at sommart.

Haha. Don't worry mate. If I've summat to say, I'll make myself perfectly clear. You should try it sometime.
:whist:

Pretty shite in the last match before the break this time. Let's hope the break helps us bounce back.
God knows whose up top and more worrying whose going to supply the support and service for the one cast adrift on their own.

........ but that making youself perfectly cleer on heer will be a new concept to you.

Oooh. Ouch.

I tell you what...... I'll come clean & be clear about one thing........ I reckon you should pack it in with the spelling.

I know you've said before it's because of the coloured filament you have in front of your screen, but we both know that's bollocks.

If you can't spell, that's no problem. If you're dyslexic, again, that's no problem. However, if it's just deliberate misspelling - which I think it is - well, it's just getting a little tiresome.

I'm sure you had some reasoning behind it initially. Can't for the life of me think what though.

xxx

Sorry chaps just saying that Windass and Garner may not have brought anything to the team that Walker and Cole may have done. Whose to say that Windass and Garner would get in the Peterborough and Burton sides.