Scottish Cup(Irn-Bru) R3 | Vital Football

Scottish Cup(Irn-Bru) R3

57harry

Vital 1st Team Regular
Has anyone noticed that Sutton United are in this competition ? A number of Irish teams are also taking part-in fact Sutton lost 4-3 on penalties to Bohemians after a 0-0 draw with the game taking place in Dublin ! I could perhaps see how some Irish teams were invited but Sutton ???

Has anyone noticed that Sutton United are in this competition ? A number of Irish teams are also taking part-in fact Sutton lost 4-3 on penalties to Bohemians after a 0-0 draw with the game taking place in Dublin ! I could perhaps see how some Irish teams were invited but Sutton ???

Boreham Wood have entered too as have clubs from the League of Wales.

I think two highest placed teams in nonleague who don't get promoted get invited to the competition now. God knows why.

It's the nearest they'll get to playing in Europe.

Remember the Anglo-Italian Cup they invented for Swindon?

Actually the new Irn Bru cup has been working very well with the extra teams.
The Scottish fans love travelling to the Welsh teams for sure...And in very large numbers (Basically cos it's welcome change from playing a small number of teams four times each (& more times if in play-offs)).

Also gets them tv coverage quite a bit.

And I think the U21 sides are not seen as a threat to the system as they're all fairly weak anyway.

I'd far rather proper clubs from other countries were allowed to play in the Checkatrade than U23 teams.

How many years ago was it that the EFL invited the top teams from the Conference to compete in what is now the Checkatrade Trophy?

I have no idea why they didn't persist with this format, as it had far more value to English football than inviting U21/23's Premiership sides into the competition.

Go figure!

How many years ago was it that the EFL invited the top teams from the Conference to compete in what is now the Checkatrade Trophy?

I have no idea why they didn't persist with this format, as it had far more value to English football than inviting U21/23's Premiership sides into the competition.

Go figure!

They could easily add 16 teams out of NatLge again, one per group and give each team four group games (and so a bit more opportunity for all clubs' squad players).

Would also dilute the chances of the U21 teams progressing so long as they remain part of it.