Well done Wayne... | Vital Football

Well done Wayne...

LancsGordoRoad

Vital Champions League
..Marques and fellow police constable Charles Guenigault who, yesterday, both received the George Medal for their extraordinary bravery at the Borough Market terrorist attack.

Highest praise also, to Spanish civilian Ignacio Echeverría, a posthumous recipient of the George Medal in recognition of his very brave efforts to fight off the attackers.

PC Leon McLeod was awarded the Queen's Gallantry Medal.

All very brave young men. Wonder whether certain people at the very top of the Metropolitan Police were a bit embarrassed about yesterday`s ceremony..........

..Marques and fellow police constable Charles Guenigault who, yesterday, both received the George Medal for their extraordinary bravery at the Borough Market terrorist attack.

Highest praise also, to Spanish civilian Ignacio Echeverría, a posthumous recipient of the George Medal in recognition of his very brave efforts to fight off the attackers.

PC Leon McLeod was awarded the Queen's Gallantry Medal.

All very brave young men. Wonder whether certain people at the very top of the Metropolitan Police were a bit embarrassed about yesterday`s ceremony..........
Well done indeed. Front line law enforcers and members of the public stepped in to protect and save lives without a thought for their own safety and they deserve all the accolades they get but; unfortunately, one poor guy lost his life. There were many heroes that night but four were chosen for special honours. Hats off to them all.

What about the Millwall fan who stepped in?

OK, well done Roy Larner, he showed courage. A reservation though. As he did spoil things somewhat a month or so following Borough Market, with actions and behaviour that landed him in court, narrowly avoiding a custodial sentence. .

Absolutely magnificent effort from the three officers and others that night and quite rightly recognised.
I would also hasten to add that the firearms officers who hunted down the terrorists, found them and approached and stopped them, even though they believed them to be wearing explosives, themselves deserve recognition. This country, unlike others, would never honour officers for basically killing someone but they acquitted themselves admirably.

As for your question about our distinguished Deputy Commissioner, all I would say is that Charles Guenigault had no radio, protective vest or baton that night but got stuck in.

I'll just leave that there.

It really does prove that the people who put themselves in the firing line do so without consideration (or despite it) for their own safety (unless you're a deputy commissioner) and have deservedly been recognized for their bravery.

So much easier to walk (or drive in one case) away from danger than to go towards it.

I tip my hat to anyone that has the courage to, whether that be civilian or police.:tophat:

Appreciate that you have to be careful what you say Nobby. I`m not in the same position as you though, so will say that the Dep Commissioner of the Met should resign. His testimony indicates that he was wearing uniform, shirt sleeve order. He should have got out of the car rather than lock the naffing doors. Doesn`t matter that he is the Dep/Com, above all else he`s a serving police officer. Doesn`t matter that he didn`t have protective clothing, a fellow officer was being attacked and he should have done something, anything, maybe got the car to drive at the attacker at the very least. Yes, things happen very quickly, but, it appears that his car was very very close to what was going on giving its occupant some time to assimilate and do something - not lock the doors then drive off ! Disgusting. I dare say he must have sat on numerous disciplinary boards in the past. In a case before a discipline board where a PC failed to act in similar circumstances, the PC would surely be dismissed. Disgraceful episode, and very unfortunate that the matter is in the press at the same time we are honouring those brave people from the Borough Market attack.

Last edited:
Whatever his other actions Roy Larner behaved courageously that day.

The Deputy Commisioner is paid a good salary for a difficult and responsible job and I don't envy his position. Each day his officers go out to do their jobs that might involve the possibility of injury, or worse. They do so motivated by a desire to serve and protect and we hope they are emboldened by our support and that of their superiors.

Members of the police and support services without protective gear stepped up as did members of the public. It's hard to get away from those facts.