The Official Steve Bruce Thread | Page 201 | Vital Football

The Official Steve Bruce Thread

People talk of options, there are plenty. With proper research and a management team to back it now is the time to be brave, I'm convinced we would storm this league with the right coaching setup and crowds would shoot up as well.

Size of our club.
New owners are mega wealthy (and ambitious)
Bodymoor is still impressive (bits need updating, the gym is poor)
The fanbase
The salary they'd get
The players they have at their disposal (just need to be made into a team)

Totally agree 68, to say we'd not have options is mad!

What was our highlight of last season, and how did we get there? For me the highlight would have to be beating Wolves 4-1.

How did we do it? We didn't do it by super-smooth fast well organised attacking football. We did it by sheer drive and determination. We wanted it more than they did, and that's no reflection on Wolves.

Trouble is, that's fine in individual matches, but it's not something you can comfortably do match after match. My guess was that the lads were exhausted both physically and mentally afterwards. So we went on a poor run of flat performances, while Wolves picked themselves up and sailed onwards to become champions.

Bruce's sides are to much about giving one's all, and not enough about playing good football. That's why we stall. And afraid he won't change.

Disagree; the problem isn’t that “no one knows” what our system is, it’s that it’s too obvious. We cross the ball more than any other team, that’s not an opinion it’s a proven fact based on both this season and last seasons stats

If we had more ingenuity and mixed it up a bit more we’d be much more successful

Disagree; the problem isn’t that “no one knows” what our system is, it’s that it’s too obvious. We cross the ball more than any other team, that’s not an opinion it’s a proven fact based on both this season and last seasons stats

If we had more ingenuity and mixed it up a bit more we’d be much more successful
Yeah, the famed Villa engine as quoted by Wyness.

It is too much Lance Corporal Jones from Dads Army "They don't like it up 'em", literally "pull your boots on" in Bruce speak.

I have never played any team sport where there was no strategy to counteract the opposition and maximise our own opportunities, and for that Bruce is the weakest link......Aurevoir

The very definition of stupidity, is to do today what you did yesterday and expect a different outcome.
Steve Bruce has not only been doing the same thing game after game but, has been coming out with the same, slightly modified, utter claptrap since before his Sunderland days.

In another post, I said I would give him until after the QPR game, at the end of October, before I came out and said either, sack him, or back him.
I am sorry but, I can see nothing in Mr Bruces style of play, or management of the team, changing enough to bring about any lasting improvement.
That being said, I now say, it is beyond the time for Mr Bruce to be gone.

Spot on David. I'm baffled that people think we haven't got a system or style. I think people get confused with something that's blatantly not working as not being a style or system.

The plan clearly is to work the ball wide at every opportunity . Hence the reason we pass...pass....pass...back and forth sideways across the pitch . Hence the reason he keeps buying wingers !!! . The theory behind this is that it stretches the opposition across the pitch thereby creating spaces to utilise. That's why we are slow because its all about working the ball across and wide waiting for that opportunity to present itself.
But what happens is our left back is right footed and cannot cross so that avenue is closed!. But most significantly teams work us out. They either press us high and cut off the ability to pass sideways, hence the long hopeless punts to the lone striker. Or we spend so long arsing about passing sideways that the opposition can get back into their defensive shape and there is no room to work anything and we grind to a halt.

It's now completely flawed and exposed for what it is. One dimensional and limited. It may have worked once but it's shelf life has expired. The players clearly either will not do what is asked or are incapable of doing so. Coupled with teams working us out and showing bundles more energy. It's a disaster.
That's my view on the style and system anyway. Not saying it's gospel btw.

I'm now completely done with watching other teams play us with pace and forward intent. Taking 15 yards of forward space quickly with the ball instead of what we do most of the time. Stopping and passing sideways when there is not another player within 10 yards, let alone pressing us.

Spot on David. I'm baffled that people think we haven't got a system or style. I think people get confused with something that's blatantly not working as not being a style or system.

The plan clearly is to work the ball wide at every opportunity . Hence the reason we pass...pass....pass...back and forth sideways across the pitch . Hence the reason he keeps buying wingers !!! . The theory behind this is that it stretches the opposition across the pitch thereby creating spaces to utilise. That's why we are slow because its all about working the ball across and wide waiting for that opportunity to present itself.
But what happens is our left back is right footed and cannot cross so that avenue is closed!. But most significantly teams work us out. They either press us high and cut off the ability to pass sideways, hence the long hopeless punts to the lone striker. Or we spend so long arsing about passing sideways that the opposition can get back into their defensive shape and there is no room to work anything and we grind to a halt.

It's now completely flawed and exposed for what it is. One dimensional and limited. It may have worked once but it's shelf life has expired. The players clearly either will not do what is asked or are incapable of doing so. Coupled with teams working us out and showing bundles more energy. It's a disaster.
That's my view on the style and system anyway. Not saying it's gospel btw.

I'm now completely done with watching other teams play us with pace and forward intent. Taking 15 yards of forward space quickly with the ball instead of what we do most of the time. Stopping and passing sideways when there is not another player within 10 yards, let alone pressing us.
The thing that begs belief is how few players we get in the box when we are on the attack. If you are going to work the ball wide then drop it in the box you need players attacking it. We only ever seem to have one player in the kill zone against 4 defenders! And people wonder why poor Scott Hogan had such a tough time of it

Size of our club.
New owners are mega wealthy (and ambitious)
Bodymoor is still impressive (bits need updating, the gym is poor)
The fanbase
The salary they'd get
The players they have at their disposal (just need to be made into a team)

Totally agree 68, to say we'd not have options is mad!

Hate to spoil your dream Jonathan but, it doesn't matter how wealthy our owners are.
There is a limit put in place, by the powers that be, to how much the club can spend. That alone could frighten off prospective applicants for the job.

What was our highlight of last season, and how did we get there? For me the highlight would have to be beating Wolves 4-1.

How did we do it? We didn't do it by super-smooth fast well organised attacking football. We did it by sheer drive and determination. We wanted it more than they did, and that's no reflection on Wolves.

Trouble is, that's fine in individual matches, but it's not something you can comfortably do match after match. My guess was that the lads were exhausted both physically and mentally afterwards. So we went on a poor run of flat performances, while Wolves picked themselves up and sailed onwards to become champions.

Bruce's sides are to much about giving one's all, and not enough about playing good football. That's why we stall. And afraid he won't change.
Well he had a big enough squad to replace those players that were drained with decent replacements..

Wasnt it after wolves he said he should of made changes?

Oh wait he did that after we had blown the next few games.

Hate to spoil your dream Jonathan but, it doesn't matter how wealthy our owners are.
There is a limit put in place, by the powers that be, to how much the club can spend. That alone could frighten off prospective applicants for the job.

Bit condesceding.

It's not a dream. We have owners who should be solid, can invest in the club, facilities and afford a decent CEO and sporting director. They can afford a decent manager.

Then any decent manager will know, once we get up, if we can get up, they have a fortune to spend.

I have been highlighting his faults for a long time now on here without making it personal but the Bruce effect has made me write some not very nice posts about him of late which I tend to regret as I generally find constructive criticism is the best way.

But then I remember how much he is paid and the foolish mistakes he repeatedly makes and then I think bollocks to it!

I think and hope my long-time wish will come true sooner rather than later.

I agree with Fear!
(It's a bit like those communist politburo conferences where the the first bloke to stop clapping, or not clapping loud enough, gets the bullet.).
However, I agree that any ambitious manager, willing to back his ability, should crawl over broken glass for the chance to manage Villa to the riches that promotion can bring. Let's face it, if they fail and get the sack, what's the worst they can expect? A nice big payoff and we go for the next, improved version.

Bit condesceding.

It's not a dream. We have owners who should be solid, can invest in the club, facilities and afford a decent CEO and sporting director. They can afford a decent manager.

Then any decent manager will know, once we get up, if we can get up, they have a fortune to spend.
Johnathan, it's when not if.aston villa are an average championship's and team right now but are
Bit condesceding.

Jonathan,it's when not if we reach the promised land, right now Aston villa are an average championship team but remain a magnificent club. the new owners are street wise and progress will happen.

Bit condesceding.

Not meant to be condescending in the slightest mate, sorry you thought that.
It's just that there will be a limit to what the club can spend without getting what could be a very heavy fine, which would curtail future spending, meaning that it would take longer to get back on an even keel.