Woodyard, do we miss him on the pitch? | Vital Football

Woodyard, do we miss him on the pitch?

I agree, not missed. Indeed we are now a better midfield unit both defensively and, more important, in attack being somewhat more creative.

The answer to the question is "no" but it's an unfair question.

Last season the team played with two DMs in Woodyard and Bostwick. This year the whole team is better, more attacking and more prepared to play through midfield.

Pett and Frecklington are attacking midfielders so it's really not like for like. It's only O'Connor where there is a more direct comparison.

Probably not, but without bringing him back and playing him within the current system and alongside the forwards and midfielders we have now your never going to find out. All you can say is as a team we've got much better.

The answer to the question is "no" but it's an unfair question.

Last season the team played with two DMs in Woodyard and Bostwick. This year the whole team is better, more attacking and more prepared to play through midfield.

Pett and Frecklington are attacking midfielders so it's really not like for like. It's only O'Connor where there is a more direct comparison.

It's not a slight on Woody, I myself thought that we would miss him and said so on here. I'm not comparing like for like, just that we don't miss him.

We’re hardly struggling but I’m wary of this revisionism of the likes of Woodyard and Raggett. Woody was a fantastic player and I’d have him back in a heartbeat.

Definitely not. He did a great job in his time here, but would now be surplus to requirements.
I doubt DC would agree with this. Pretty sure had Woodyard not wanted to leave he would still be with us, and maybe someone like O'Conner wouldn't.

I doubt DC would agree with this. Pretty sure had Woodyard not wanted to leave he would still be with us, and maybe someone like O'Conner wouldn't.

That's probably very fair although I think at the time we said we were happy with the fee involved - I imagine it contributed to the squad we have now so it's maybe more a question of would you like Woodyard or would you like whichever player(s) his sale allowed us to sign.

I guess you're right, but it's irrelevant. As it stands, we don't need him and he didn't want us anyway.

Digressing, the team captain is not guaranteed a place in midfield when he comes back from suspension, though I suspect Danny will re-instate him from the off. Interesting times though.

Pert has surely played himself into a first choice midfielder.
Freck has also been playing really well and I'd definitely have him first choice too.
O'Connor is perhaps leavable-out but it's very marginal. He is probably the best deep midfielder atm (if Bostwick in defence).
But it is unlikely ALL our main midfielders will always be available...suspensions, injuries, need resting etc...So every one of them essential.

No because of replacements and change of style.

But he would still improve the squad through adding options.

Woodyard is undeniably a great player and would still be an asset to this team. Do we miss him? No I don't think we do. Not because we have better players but because we have a better team. We relied heavily on him during the last couple of seasons (and he never let us down) but we have strength in numbers now and don't rely so heavily on one or two individuals any more. IMO

I don't think it is a question that can be answered very easily really. He had a bit of a dogsbody role in our team last year and I think he would have really flourished this year. He is obviously doing well in League One and for me, in this system we play now, I think he would have really shone.

He is missed, as he has shown he has gone on to better things and has excelled so far. The question as to how someone is missed is generally...."Would you still have liked him out on the park?" If, like me, that is a yes. Then he is missed.