Brighton v Tottenham Hotspur | Page 11 | Vital Football

Brighton v Tottenham Hotspur

Keep them all fit and we have good depth. Get Kane and Son back to their best and we'll trouble anyone.

Just have to work out how best to utilise these players, but the fact that 2 of Lamela, Son, Lucas and Dele are likely to be on the bench in any given game if all are fit will finally give option the opportunity to influence games with his subs more effectively.

I think everyone would rather we played Son or Lucas up top than Llorente at this stage, possibly even Llorente himself. Need to ship him out in January whatever we get for him.

Keep them all fit and we have good depth. Get Kane and Son back to their best and we'll trouble anyone.

Just have to work out how best to utilise these players, but the fact that 2 of Lamela, Son, Lucas and Dele are likely to be on the bench in any given game if all are fit will finally give option the opportunity to influence games with his subs more effectively.

I think everyone would rather we played Son or Lucas up top than Llorente at this stage, possibly even Llorente himself. Need to ship him out in January whatever we get for him.

If Lamela, Son, Alli, Lucas, Erkisen, Dier, Dembele, Rose, Davies..... could be precise with their final ball, delivery from set pieces, improve their passing, choose better options around the opposition box and if the whole team could play at a quicker tempo, we would be better enabled to shift the opposition out of their comfort zone & into areas they're defenders don't want to go. We continue to have an abundance of possession, but far too much of it is in front of the opposition defence and easy to contain. We need to get them shifted, turned and running back towards their own goal more often than we currently do to create space for our attackers and get the whole team higher up the pitch.

I would be inclined to keep the tall striker option so we are covered for every eventuality, should we need to take the aerial route. Llorente is one that needs as much assistance as possible if he is to make his mark with us, of course some of that responsibility must fall on his shoulders as well to do better. We need to lose the fragmentation and get back to the good place of fluent continuity in our approach play of a few seasons ago and hopefully get better output from struggling players.

Why is an opinion valid just because we are entitled to have it. ? If you don't agree or think it's biased or spiteful is it not right to challenge it ?

NRD, let it go brother. We all know Rich doesn't rate Lamela...regardless of how he plays.

Having Eriksen, Dele, Moura, Son and Lamela in the same squad should be our strength. They all offer something slightly different and give Poch the sort of squad depth we've never had before. I'm just quite happy for them to slug it out and hope the team gets selected on merit. If Lamela can step up and start getting on the scoresheet regularly then that will give Son a much needed rest. He was playing with injections at the end of last season and has then had no rest all summer.

If only we could switch out Llorente with someone that is of their level, we'd be in great shape in the attacking areas. It's the players behind them that need to step up or get replaced.

Muttley, I agree to an extent. I do think that their playing styles should compliment each other though. What I am seeing WAY too much of is a group that are not synching well. Right now Kane/Eriksen/Lucas are not jiving well. The movement off the ball simply does not exist. It is very stagnate & predictable...thus easy to defend.

I would like to see a group of Lucas/Son/Lamela/Dele

This group could attack from all angles and drive the channels...which we really don't do at all with the previous group...it is all push wide and hope for a good cross for Kane....holy shit...if I was a defense I would eat that up hope we keep doing it.

Just my 2 cents for attacking

Muttley, I agree to an extent. I do think that their playing styles should compliment each other though. What I am seeing WAY too much of is a group that are not synching well. Right now Kane/Eriksen/Lucas are not jiving well. The movement off the ball simply does not exist. It is very stagnate & predictable...thus easy to defend.

I would like to see a group of Lucas/Son/Lamela/Dele

This group could attack from all angles and drive the channels...which we really don't do at all with the previous group...it is all push wide and hope for a good cross for Kane....holy shit...if I was a defense I would eat that up hope we keep doing it.

Just my 2 cents for attacking

There is an article on Lamela on his recent form and ideal position. The players mentioned are compared to Erik and they all have differences. Son is more of a finisher, Moura runner and dribbler,Eriksen a playmaker. The article suggests Lamela is more box to box and presser. So he does have games and periods in games where he could be more effective than the others and visa versa.

The only way to find out is start him and see how he affects the game as opposed to coming on as a sub. It also suggests Lamela exploits stretched defences as is often unmarked after he has created space with his reading and movement.

There is an article on Lamela on his recent form and ideal position. The players mentioned are compared to Erik and they all have differences. Son is more of a finisher, Moura runner and dribbler,Eriksen a playmaker. The article suggests Lamela is more box to box and presser. So he does have games and periods in games where he could be more effective than the others and visa versa.

The only way to find out is start him and see how he affects the game as opposed to coming on as a sub. It also suggests Lamela exploits stretched defences as is often unmarked after he has created space with his reading and movement.

Good conversation. Could it be that the opposition got so used to the predictability of the Spurs attack playing sideways and backwards (instead of running directly, crossing or shooting) that when Lamela came on and didn’t do that, they were surprised?

The other point I was making the other day is just because Spurs have strength in attacking midfield and an under-performing centre mid, doesn’t mean that Eriksen should be moved into a water carrying role. He is our BEST player, bar none, in my opinion and that team should be built around him. His best position is forward of the midfield, tucked into the right channel, with license to go wherever he wants to surprise the opposition. He’ll always take responsibility and defend when he sees us stretched and runs a marathon to find space. We’ve upset his rhythm this season by messing him around game to game.

For the same reason I wouldn’t want Son and Moura in the same team until they start switching on defensively and not leaving it all to Eriksen and Dele. With Dele, I’d want him to be less elaborate in deeper areas and take more responsibility to keep possession. Keep the work-rate up though. I’d also want Moura to think more about the left channel. Since his arrival we’ve become lop sided and our left backs have been exposed horrribly at times. They need an out ball.

When we start sorting out a few of these subtle things, we’ll look a different team. Even someone like Dier will look much better as he’ll have 2 or 3 passes on.

The performance was nothing to write home about but i'll take the win, as for our defending in the last 10 minutes Gertcha cowsons Gertcha

It's not specific to Richmond. It's more a general question. Why is it ok to have an opinion and not have it challenged. ?
I can't speak for anyone else but I have no problem with challenging others view, for me that is healthy. The point I was trying to make was simply that a certain poster would make a comment on the game that would for me has some merit, but he then goes on and attacks Lamela and at that point I personally switch off. Where in reality I probably would have entered into a discussion with him.

I can't speak for anyone else but I have no problem with challenging others view, for me that is healthy. The point I was trying to make was simply that a certain poster would make a comment on the game that would for me has some merit, but he then goes on and attacks Lamela and at that point I personally switch off. Where in reality I probably would have entered into a discussion with him.

That is a good point. The constant negativity is so predictable. That was my point with Raph, you know what to expect but that doesn't mean you have to ignore it. Unless of course you are giving them what they want...dialogue. That's what Asian Durham does. Argues the controversial option to get a response.

The performance was nothing to write home about but i'll take the win, as for our defending in the last 10 minutes Gertcha cowsons Gertcha

Can someone break down how the goal came about please. I know it was an end to end thing but were we culpable as a unit or was an individual more to blame. Rose sèems to be a possible culprit but is that fair and clear cut ? I have tried to find video of it to no avail yet.

I have to say that what I've seen of Lamela this season he looks really good, I've always like his total commitment to the team. He brings a lot of energy to the team, now it looks like he's added a final product to his game. This is exactly when we need to get behind him.

Can someone break down how the goal came about please. I know it was an end to end thing but were we culpable as a unit or was an individual more to blame. Rose seems to be a possible culprit but is that fair and clear cut ? I have tried to find video of it to no avail yet.
If my memory serves me right our attack broke down at the edge of the box and we lost possession, at that point Rose was way too far up the pitch, for me at 2-0 his priority should have been on his defensive responsibility. Also both Rose and Dembele in the middle of the park were way too slow in recognizing the threat and were slow to react, and finally when Rose got back in the box he got wrong footed and allowed the guy to cut inside and get his shot away.

Can someone break down how the goal came about please. I know it was an end to end thing but were we culpable as a unit or was an individual more to blame. Rose sèems to be a possible culprit but is that fair and clear cut ? I have tried to find video of it to no avail yet.
NRD, I have tried to PM you link. Never PM'd before so don't know if you got it. Also not sure if allowed to put up a link here.

My take, Kane was 'one on one' with their keeper. Our defence was lined up at centre line. Kane smashed the ball against the keeper, bounced back to their player just outside their box. One diagonal ball in Rose's vacated area, the rest is history. Credit to Rose though, re made up the ground, got turned over (slipped) and a curler from eck-fart from an acute angle.

Like I said y'day, It was as if our defenders were all ready to charge up to Kane to celebrate (a miss that you wouldn't associate with Kane of last season).

I did see Rose slip trying to get back. It sounds a bit unlucky in a way how it rebounded favourably, but as has been suggested maybe we were complacent as a group which would piss Poch off.

NRD, I have tried to PM you link. Never PM'd before so don't know if you got it. Also not sure if allowed to put up a link here.

My take, Kane was 'one on one' with their keeper. Our defence was lined up at centre line. Kane smashed the ball against the keeper, bounced back to their player just outside their box. One diagonal ball in Rose's vacated area, the rest is history. Credit to Rose though, re made up the ground, got turned over (slipped) and a curler from eck-fart from an acute angle.

Like I said y'day, It was as if our defenders were all ready to charge up to Kane to celebrate (a miss that you wouldn't associate with Kane of last season).
Thanks for the video, it worked . One interesting thing is a couple of defenders stalled in the box rather than continuing up to the goal mouth to make a smaller target for the shot. That kind of thing ain't gonna happen very often but they will learn from it.

Watching Kane steaming in and getting powerful shots off towards the end of the game is refreshing to see. Didn't look jaded to me.

Wonder if he'd have more goals if he wasn't trying to learn to be Lucas strike partner. Definitely looked better when he went off

Was actually an interesting goal.

When Lamela scored, Rose had got the freedom of the left hand side as Knockhart had given up tracking back. He was at fault.

For the goal, Knockhart had long since given up tracking back. When that ball was pinged to their right wing, they had 4 players still up field with only our centre halves back. Rose and Trips were slightly upfield with Dier and Dembele and all 4 were way past the half way line as the ball came out to their right wing. You can give credit to Trips and Rose for recovering, sort of, but neither were in a position to really help out. Trips never got back to pivot and Rose overshot and slipped. Worst for me though was as the ball hit the back of the net, Dier had only came into view of the camera 10 yards behind Dembele. If either of our centre mids of full backs been taking responsibility at 2-0 up, Vertonghen may have been able to vacate the central area and make it difficult for Knockhart. If Rose had stayed in, its possible one of the other 3 forward players could have still exposed Jan and Toby centrally as they still would have been 3 on 2. Very disappointing.......again !!!

Was actually an interesting goal.

When Lamela scored, Rose had got the freedom of the left hand side as Knockhart had given up tracking back. He was at fault.

For the goal, Knockhart had long since given up tracking back. When that ball was pinged to their right wing, they had 4 players still up field with only our centre halves back. Rose and Trips were slightly upfield with Dier and Dembele and all 4 were way past the half way line as the ball came out to their right wing. You can give credit to Trips and Rose for recovering, sort of, but neither were in a position to really help out. Trips never got back to pivot and Rose overshot and slipped. Worst for me though was as the ball hit the back of the net, Dier had only came into view of the camera 10 yards behind Dembele. If either of our centre mids of full backs been taking responsibility at 2-0 up, Vertonghen may have been able to vacate the central area and make it difficult for Knockhart. If Rose had stayed in, its possible one of the other 3 forward players could have still exposed Jan and Toby centrally as they still would have been 3 on 2. Very disappointing.......again !!!

This is something I hope and presume Poch will work on. At 2-0 up with not much time left rather than try to batter the opponent, it's better to show caution and see it out.