targets | Vital Football

targets

Martinez1986

Vital Squad Member
Before people say it's a long season ahead and obviously it is but 13 points from eight games is not a bad return could of been more in my opinion .

what targets are people's aims for this season mine would be get to forty points and anything else is a bonus so another seven or eight wind and then see how we do.

Love to know people's thoughts on what possibleities this season could bring

We’d be second in the league if we’d held out at Villa and put Forest to bed before getting robbed. Says a lot about how well we’ve done. My target is survival and anything else is a bonus. That way I won’t be disappointed if we miss out on say the playoffs by a small margin. In terms of short term, I’d like us to match or beat the ten points we got in our first run of six games before the international break. So seven more points from our next four games.

Just keep picking up points from them teams That will be at the bottom end of the table like some one said its easy in this league to lose a good few games on the trot Bolton have had a good start be think they will down near the bottom

Before people say it's a long season ahead and obviously it is but 13 points from eight games is not a bad return could of been more in my opinion .

what targets are people's aims for this season mine would be get to forty points and anything else is a bonus so another seven or eight wind and then see how we do.

Love to know people's thoughts on what possibleities this season could bring
Survival..............

Don't set targets for yourselves - they just add unnecessary pressure. Simply focus on each game, keep scrapping away and picking up points. Cliched yes, but who knows where it could lead us come the end of the season.

If we're insisting on targets though....

50 points is usually the Championship's equivalent of the fabled 40-point mark that effectively guarantees safety in the Premier League. Since 2010, only Peterborough in 2013 (54) and Blackburn in 2017 (51) have been relegated after registering 50 points.

We already have 13 points through 8 games, so we only (!) need 37 points from our remaining 38 games to reach 50 - a more than achievable aim.

In 2014/15, it took us until gameweek 14 to overhaul our current points total, and until gameweek 15 in 2016/17.

It took us until gameweek 18 to win our current total of 4 games in 2016/17 and, astonishingly, it took us until gameweek 23 to win 4 games in 2014/15.

For comparison to our playoff season of 2013/14 within which we reached a total of 73 points and 5th place, we were on 11 points after 8 games with 3 wins so it's our best start in the Championship in the post-Prem era.

Wigan won 6 of their first 18 league games under Coyle/Barrow that season, and 15 of 28 league games under Rosler to reach 5th place. 21 wins from 46, so if we can keep anywhere near our 50% win ratio for the rest of the season then the playoffs are a very real possibility.

We've started pretty well, in short!

Last edited:
40 points would see us relegated Martinez, so we have to aim higher than that. Plus it's a long season.

We've had a really good start and yes the encouraging thing is we could have had more with a bit of composure and more competent officials. Points aside the most encouraging thing for me is we look able to compete at this level now and clearly have a plan of how we want to play, especially compared to recent campaigns at this level. Survival is success and progress, though being greedy I'd like us to be comfortable in mid table no mans land, stress free and being able to enjoy games instead of the constant anxiety of being at the arse end of the table watching dire football. Clearly this takeover needs to happen and personally I'd rather see incremental change and progress as opposed to a complete overhaul of the playing squad.

40 points would see us relegated Martinez, so we have to aim higher than that.......

I suspect he was thinking of the usual "38 point" mark in the Prem.

For me, survival would be acceptable, mid table would be most welcome, top half would be great, and play offs (based on what we've seen so far) would not be in the realms of fantasy - however unlikely it may have seemed at the start of the season.

First thing though ........another win agin Brizzle on friday.

I think it's a moving target for us to be honest as we are getting settled in the league. I think first thing you do is aim to get enough points to keep you up (50ish) then depending on how quickly you get there you re-evaluate and try and push on. It's looking decent at the moment but with so many big spending teams it's not out of the question to end up losing 1 game you'd bank on winning and end up on a 4 or 5 game losing streak with confidence collapsing.

So getting dragged into a relegation scrap is not out of the question but neither is a run at the play offs. It just depends on things like luck for or against you, injuries, the January window, keeping your manager etc as they can all change the course of the season quite drastically.

It's hard to predict as there as so many variables but before the start of the season i said my guess for us would be middle / lower bottom half flirting with the fringe of the relgation battle without ever getting involved in it. I think now i'd probably change my prediction to solid mid table something towards bottom of top half or top of the bottom half. If we can keep Cook and all our players, avoid any major injuries and have a decent January then i think we've got a lot to look forward to - but football is very unpredictable so i'm not taking it for granted that what we have now will be safe for the season.

Imagine this scenario. Latics continuing grafting the points out and are on the verge of the play offs next spring. The fabled takeover is still dragging on.
Could Dave change his mind with Latics on the verge of a potential place in the fantasy money league?

Imagine this scenario. Latics continuing grafting the points out and are on the verge of the play offs next spring. The fabled takeover is still dragging on.
Could Dave change his mind with Latics on the verge of a potential place in the fantasy money league?

Would love this to happen, just love it.

You just know he would. And if the impossible happened and we got promoted, prepare for absolute meltdown on here come summer time when every team is spending 20m plus on players and the most we pay is about 10m quid, taken from the funds generated from selling Powell back to Man Utd for 30m on deadline day. :LOL: