Takeover | Page 37 | Vital Football

Takeover

I know someone on the catering side and they’ve had preliminary plans to revamp the hospitality section for some time. I don’t know if this is linked to the takeover or always been in the works. Apparently the current set-up is not the best for maximising income. I assume that’s both matchday and non-sporting events.

I’m always sceptical when I hear things like “three years to reach the Premier League”. It’s so difficult to achieve and is a moving target as rival teams spend ever more. I’d be content to continue as we are with a little more financial muscle to secure current players and make key signings. In fact not unlike our business in the current transfer window.
Fully agree with you on that three year quote. It’s such a dangerous line to trot out. It raises expectation within the fans and this league is so tough that it never guarantees success. Sure if we’re lucky we could go the way of Wolves, but we could also go the way of Sheff Wed and Birmingham City, both failed with their promotion pushes, both in embargos and in huge trouble with the EFL for breaching FFP.

However the big thing we have in our favour is Cook. I truly believe that if we were to all of sudden come up with a boat load of money courtesy of the new owners and pushed the boat out to give Cook the right players, he’d get us promoted.

Someone asked Alan Nixon about the takeover going through and he said there's no reason it shouldn't at this point. The fact money was spent towards the end of the window also suggests those involved are confident after our hands seemed somewhat tied all summer.

Surely any money spent at the end of the window was the Dan Burn money being reinvested?
Rather than our new owners splashing out.

Surely any money spent at the end of the window was the Dan Burn money being reinvested?
Rather than our new owners splashing out.

If you say Kipre, Evans, Garner and Windass added up to approximately the same transfer fee we recieved for Burn - it's the increase in the wage bill that is the hidden extra cost that i think is telling. All of them plus the additions of Connolly and Robinson on loan will definetely be on a decent wage. Some will be on more and some less but for arguments sake say all of them are average 10k a week each, that's adding another 3m onto our wage bill which was already higher than our total income. So i think it's most likely that type of extra investment and addition of extra lucrative contracts would need to have been approved by the new owners.

I don't think it was the new owners spashing out, more a sign that Whelan is confident he wont be covering the extra costs just added for very long. I think if there was doubt he wouldn't have allowed Cook to spend 8m on replacement fees and wages when he only brought in 5m from the sale of Burn.

If you say Kipre, Evans, Garner and Windass added up to approximately the same transfer fee we recieved for Burn - it's the increase in the wage bill that is the hidden extra cost that i think is telling. All of them plus the additions of Connolly and Robinson on loan will definetely be on a decent wage. Some will be on more and some less but for arguments sake say all of them are average 10k a week each, that's adding another 3m onto our wage bill which was already higher than our total income. So i think it's most likely that type of extra investment and addition of extra lucrative contracts would need to have been approved by the new owners.

I don't think it was the new owners spashing out, more a sign that Whelan is confident he wont be covering the extra costs just added for very long. I think if there was doubt he wouldn't have allowed Cook to spend 8m on replacement fees and wages when he only brought in 5m from the sale of Burn.
We still have a wages budget for the season, players need to be paid irrespective of whether or not the came on loan, on a free transfer or via a purchase, the fact we received money for some players gives us a little bit more choice on here we get the players we need for the squad from, and may also mean we can add extra quality.

Absolutely no way is Kipre on anywhere near 10k a week. Last season was his first year of professional football and he only got a contract at Motherwell after a trial. There’s a good chance he may have even been on less than 2k a week at Motherwell. So I bet the max he’s on here will be around 5k a week. It probably explains why we pushed the boat out a bit on his transfer fee.

Absolutely no way is Kipre on anywhere near 10k a week. Last season was his first year of professional football and he only got a contract at Motherwell after a trial. There’s a good chance he may have even been on less than 2k a week at Motherwell. So I bet the max he’s on here will be around 5k a week. It probably explains why we pushed the boat out a bit on his transfer fee.

Absolutely that's why i said average it over the 6 players, as i imagine Windass would be one of our higest earners (Powell is on 15k apparently) so i picked 10k as i read somewhere that is average Champ salary. It was just for the purpose of example stating that if the current owners weren't confident of the sale going through i'm not sure they would've sanctioned us to spend overall more than we have brought in when you take into account wages and fees - as the Championship tv money doesn't cover our wage bill to start with so this season even without the deadline day spending would've been facing a loss for the owners. So to increase the losses by increasing the expenditure isn't something i could see someone who is looking to get out of the game doing - unless they were confident that it wouldn't be coming out of their pocket.

And the flip side of that i imagine you'd probably need to get approval from the new owners over those things too.

Last edited:
I was going to book a brass band for the celebrations but they're all booked up. So, it's down to a bottle of bubbly and a few ballons... or am I counting my chickens?...

If you’re smart you’ll stick any champagne on ice until we find out exactly how much cash they have to throw away along with their long term intentions.

If it does get done tomorrow, I’d still be surprised if they announce it (unless they are planning a farewell for Whelan on Saturday). Still believe what I was told that they want to announce it during the international break. We’ll see though.

IEC has just announced they have just completed acquisition..... but not us!
http://www.hkexnews.hk/listedco/listconews/SEHK/2018/0828/LTN201808281125.pdf

I'm not suprised in the least the FA appear to be looking at this one closely as IEC is blatantly not got enough money to buy us but appear to be connected to other people who certainly do. I've never seen anything as unusual as this. There must be a reason why Henry Cheng or whoever is involved has decided to go down this route (my guess is the FA could have rules about foreign betting companies owning football clubs and we need enough legal degrees of seperation to avoid any red tape) but it's probably a first for everyone involved including the FA.