Bryne returns to training | Page 2 | Vital Football

Bryne returns to training

cannot see how you could drop Massey to be honest,been excellent so far this season!

In fairness to Massey he's improved over the summer. To state him as being excellent is certainly ott.

Don't forget we also have our marquee signing sat on the bench because he's not fit enough to get in the team who also plays in that position.

In fairness to Massey he's improved over the summer. To state him as being excellent is certainly ott.

Don't forget we also have our marquee signing sat on the bench because he's not fit enough to get in the team who also plays in that position.
Grigg and Powell apparently weren't fit enough again to complete a game. Well that's what some of our fans say to justify taking them off today.

Why consider dropping anyone when the team is playing so well?
Byrne may just have to wait for his chance however that might arise.
After all, everyone in the game says competition for places is important. We certainly have plenty of competition in this position. Byrne has an extra string to his bow in that he can, to an extent, cover the RB spot too.

Some of the posters on here have been scathing of Naismith with nothing to go off to make that assessment. Some have written him off.
I've seen Byrne enough to make my assessment of his ability as a full back. I am suggesting we have a better full back than Byrne and at the higher level it might be wise to stick with the better player in this case.
But writing Byrne off is not what I am doing at all, and I don't know why you feel the need to suggest I am.

I am not suggesting anything of the sort Henski, I am merely offering you the same advice that you gave others on another thread. Why not wait and see what he is capable of under a different manager playing a different system in the championship.

After yesterdays game it seems that PC may have other plans for him this season anyway.

The advice you speak of is not relevant in this case TB. I have seen Byrne plenty and have formed my opinion based on what i have actually seen. I'm sure you can spot the difference.
I'd be surprised if Cook doesn't have alternative plans for him this season.

The advice you speak of is not relevant in this case TB. I have seen Byrne plenty and have formed my opinion based on what i have actually seen. I'm sure you can spot the difference.
I'd be surprised if Cook doesn't have alternative plans for him this season.

I am sure you have seen him plenty of times in League One, but how many times has he played in the Championship under PC. Surely that's the point.

I do agree by the way that James should retain the shirt as I think up to now he has been more than capable and looks to have the ability to be a decent player. For my money Byrne will be used in a more forward role this season and as a back up to James at wing back.

Byrne and Powell stood out against Premier league opposition last season in the cup. Byrne fully deserved player of the season. It's crazy to me how quickly people forget how well he played last season. Regardless of the league, he adds an attacking ability to the team. He's underrated defensively. How many wide players had his number in the cup or league last season?

He's clearly not match fit yet, as Connolly was picked ahead of him last night. Its great to have three options that are good enough at this level. I fully expect Byrne to take his place back in the team when fit. Unless he's expected to leave at the end of the season.

My only concern, is that possibly Massey plays better with a defensive option behind him. Possibly Byrne's forward runs, might crowd his space. Although as we are more attacking this season, I think Byrne's forward movement should allow Massey some extra space and time on the ball drawing a defender away from him.

James has been decent, but you can't leave one of the best players we have out of the team.

He's clearly not match fit yet, as Connolly was picked ahead of him last night. Its great to have three options that are good enough at this level. I fully expect Byrne to take his place back in the team when fit. Unless he's expected to leave at the end of the season.

My only concern, is that possibly Massey plays better with a defensive option behind him. Possibly Byrne's forward runs, might crowd his space. Although as we are more attacking this season, I think Byrne's forward movement should allow Massey some extra space and time on the ball drawing a defender away from him.

James has been decent, but you can't leave one of the best players we have out of the team.
your last line is very contradictory,James has been one of our best players so how can you leave him out?

Decent doesn't mean one of our best players. I've said he's good enough to play at this level. Both goals against Wednesday he played a role in. Also Villa's 3rd. Again last night their best chance came from him losing his man completely. He had the run around by McClean last night. Got past him or created crossing opportunities. Bojan went past him a few times as well. Maybe to you he's been one of our best players. We all see the same games and have different views.

He's adapting to a lot of new situations this season. New team, first time playing professional football. New system and adjusting to a new group.

All in all he's done okay. Hasn't let us down. Which from a loan is all you can ask.

If Powell was out injured and say Connolly/Roberts/Jacobs or whoever was filling in for him. Once fit you'd expected him to be straight back in the side.

There's no difference for me, Byrne is one of the best players we have. He has a full season here, a partnership with Dunkley, Massey and Evans. He adds more to the team.

James has potential, I won't be complaining if he's in the team. As he hasn't let us down and will improve throughout the season. I'm much more content with him in the side than Elder last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reece James is 18 and playing only his 4 ever professional senior game - that is redicolous. The lad is an England international in the making for sure.

We are blessed to have 2 such good right backs. I suspected James could end up at CB eventually and give Byrne a route back into the side, but if Kipre and Dunkley perform like they did last night and stay fit then it's hard to see Byrne getting back into the defence.

James is one of the best players we have. As of now he’s one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Byrne is out of contract next summer. I reckon if he doesn’t sign on before the end of the year we’ll flog him in January and roll with James until the end of the season.

James is one of the best players we have. As of now he’s one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Byrne is out of contract next summer. I reckon if he doesn’t sign on before the end of the year we’ll flog him in January and roll with James until the end of the season.

Possibly for you, for me he'd be on the bench, Like he was today. Lots of potential. But not as good as Byrne, not even close.

Edit* Forgot to mention i think James would be better than Byrne on the Wing. Think he would handle tighter spaces when on the ball better. When your high up the pitch the player becomes marked against a tighter and more skilled defender. The deeper the players starting position the more early free space they get, once he beaten a forward/attacking midfielder they tend to stop running. Byrne's at his best when up to full speed on the ball. It's more difficult for him to do that on the wing. Also his movement at fullback is much better, he can go wide or inside.

Last edited by a moderator: