Bobby Madley.. | Vital Football

Bobby Madley..

I’ve often wondered what makes someone want to take up refereeing football matches.

They are absolutely reviled and abused by everyone. Players, managers, coaches fans and media. And each week they have an assessment that says they had a good or bad game. All the while having to deal with cheating and abuse from players even when they get a decision 100% correct (and that’s most times).

They must be in it for the money and fame eh?

A referee friend of mine got into it as a route into the game was destroyed by a injury.That injury does not affect his refereeing.But it did stop him playing at a young age.He took up the whistle and found here was good at it.It is of course never easy.But he is a very level headed guy who I have never seen lose his cool . He may or may not be a example of what is normality. But I would say that my friend who supports a premier league club is definitely a frustrated player.Without referees the game could not exist. The best refs often go almost unnoticed.

A referee friend of mine got into it as a route into the game was destroyed by a injury.That injury does not affect his refereeing.But it did stop him playing at a young age.He took up the whistle and found here was good at it.It is of course never easy.But he is a very level headed guy who I have never seen lose his cool . He may or may not be a example of what is normality. But I would say that my friend who supports a premier league club is definitely a frustrated player.Without referees the game could not exist. The best refs often go almost unnoticed.
i got into reading accidently. The ref for my end game failed to show so I voluntered. 24 years later in still doing it.

When I first started i would have revved for free but not now because of the attitude from some involved.

i did a friendly recently and a player boots the ball 50 yards after i have a foul. I went to have a word but got mouth so out came the yellow as he walked away he started clapping and said well done. I said no, well done you. Here's another yellow. Bye!

that's what's changed in the game.

Last edited:
:censored:
i got into reading accidently. The ref for my end game failed to show so I voluntered. 24 years later in still doing it.

When I first started i would have revved for free but not now because of the attitude from some involved.

i did a friendly recently and a player boots the ball 50 yards after i have a foul. I went to have a word but got mouth so out came the yellow as he walked away he started clapping and said well done. I said no, well done you. Here's another yellow. Bye!

that's what's changed in the game.
:yes: There was a player did almost identical to my friend .Again a silly booking for persistent arguing i think ."Do you know who I am said this angry ex league player"."I didn't I do now said the ref ".
"Well you can f*** off".Said the player.After that my friend could not resist bringing out the red .
When I can i go and watch him .When Gills are away and he is local .It is a real eye opener .Watching games from the refs eye view .

There used to be some real characters that reffed the local sunday leagues in my far distant youth.

Particularly loved was an eccentric Irishman who on one occasion made a decision when the ball went in to touch. Several players of the other team remonstrated with him which prompted his reply "For f's sake, it is a bl**dy throw in, not a penalty". Players on both sides cracked up.

They don't make 'em like that anymore, more's the pity.

Anyone know if the video is real yet?
It’s almost certainly bollocks, he’s a Huddersfield fan and their nickname is the Terriers, but Leeds fans call them dog shaggers and this rumour appears to have started from a Leeds fans Twitter account.