Grabben/Brereton | Vital Football

Grabben/Brereton

redderthanred

Vital Reserves Team
Sometimes you can't catch your breath!!!

I've now read several reports where, 3 games in and the knockers
are getting onto Grabban's back - Unbelievable!!

I can only imagine it's only our loyal armchair supporters that
can't be arsed to go to matches but love picking on and having
a go at someone.

We have the best squad in God knows how long (but wait a minute)
we still need a scape goat :eek: Arghh - Grabban's not scored in 3 so
let's give him some sh!t.

For me that's the top and bottom of it but now let's look at all the
Brereton lovers that still think he should be leading the line.

(At this juncture I must say I do like Brereton and I'm sure he will
come good)

Coming through the ranks he did well to get into the first team at the tender age of 18 but that was more luck than judgement (we lacked strikers) He did well enough initially but it was obvious we still needed experience - Ben needs to get back and learn his trade and he will be better in the future for those games he's already played.

His Record: 38 appearances (15) Goals: 8 - On that average he is not going to get us promotion and this is why we have gone for a proven striker in Grabban - someone every supporter was crying out for!!!

So to all those that are calling for Grabban's head already and advocate Brereton leading the line please go back to your armchairs and STFU because you know nothing - You Are Deluded!!!

Rant Over.

Last edited:
I think Grabban has been very good but starved of service a little. He has missed a few but not sitters and I don't mind that. His hold up play has been superb.

Ben misses sitters. That's not because he's crap, it's because he's 18 and has plenty of learning to do. He'll have his part to play and will be a brilliant striker in the future

I think Grabban has looked good so far, he made some good runs against Reading but the final ball was never good enough to get through to him, which I think will improve as Reading looked a bit of a leggy off day. Thought he looked a lot better when he had Soudani with him, not convinced he is the right sort to play as a lone striker as he looked more comfortable out on the wings/running with the ball rather than winning headers and holding it up. Not worried about him at all

The 2 posts above makes the points I was making, in so much that those who have watched him live knows what he gives and has witnessed his performances first hand.

It is only those stay away "Fans" (if you can call them that) that make such stupid comments based on hear say or rumors.

Last edited:
I too have been impressed with Grabban. We instantly look better as an attacking unit when we have somebody like him up there who can hold the ball up and play with his back to goal.

He didn't have a full pre-season with us and is still getting his sharpness back. I think at some point we'll see it all click with the Portugese players and Grabban, at which point the goals will come.

With Grabban coming from a premiership outfit, they are a week behind the championship in preparation. This has shown with Grabban as it has been his match fitness that has prohibited him rather than anything else. I thought his back to goal play has been excellent, particularly against WBA. OK he missed a couple of half chances but it was his alertness and mentality that was just fractionally slow. This will come after 4/6 games.

BB was away with England up until end of July thus missing much of Forest pre-season. He has had a bit of a rest and is ready to go again.

3 games in 8 days so early in the season, especially with so many players not used to playing either at the intensity of the championship, in England or the regularity. Thus the under-performance on Saturday. They will all benefit from having a week off and watch the so called second string play for their places.

Judgements should be reserved till end of August. Players, squad and table starts to take shape between games 5-8.

The only negative comments I've seen are suggesting he's lacked a tiny bit of sharpness but that will come with a goal and match time.

Can't recall anyone demanding he be dropped for Ben, bar the league cup game. He's a kid who was previously starved of service so his past is largely irrelevant. A couple have wondered how Soudani would get on up top but that's reasonable to wonder given his start.

The usual on here have a bit of an agenda with our fullbacks but hey ho.

Think its a couple of negative throw away comments by some on twitter and the digital media have put it out as a story. They do this with every club to gain connections (pays for advertising) and generate interest. The fact all on here have responded positively suggests a no story.
Move on. Nothing to see here!

Have been quite impressed with Grabban so far, as you say just lacking a little match sharpness and confidence, but that will come. Once he scores one, think he will really start firing.

Some will always find reason to moan.

This side are still learning about each other - Grabban has already shown his quality, just needs to build his match fitness.

Has anyone actually complained about Grabban?

I cannot for the life of me find any evidence of Lewis being criticised, even by the retarded stay at home types.

Has anyone actually complained about Grabban?

I cannot for the life of me find any evidence of Lewis being criticised, even by the retarded stay at home types.

I haven't moaned, not about LG anyway... my only issue is with Benny being played at LB, but I do appreciate that Robinson may not yet be match fit.

Enough of the "stay at home" bullshit. We aren't all lucky enough to be able to get to the CG week in week out. Questioning the support of those that can't get to games is dickish at best. Personally I work weekends and have a young family, which makes Tuesday games tricky (kids bedtimes) and Saturday games impossible. Sorry if keeping a roof over my families head makes me less of a fan in your eyes. I can form opinions over the Internet just fine. I think my opinion of you is pretty accurate for example.

All of the above comments are reasonable and fair assumptions. To early yet to form an opinion one way or another. Good posts though.

I agree with an above poster that he hasn’t really had all that much service, as in ‘easy’ scoring opportunities. But I also believe this is due to his lack of sharpness and team familiarity to put himself in those positions also, half a yard in football is huge when it comes to end product! So I think as both of these areas improve he will be putting them away for us no issues. Calls for his head!!:D why would you entertain anybody with that stance at this stage? More fool you honestly.

I do hope Ben gets a game tonight though, although I do want to see him with the ‘first team’ behind him, be very interesting.

I haven't moaned, not about LG anyway... my only issue is with Benny being played at LB, but I do appreciate that Robinson may not yet be match fit.

Why? You're normally one of the more astute posters and Ben has been solid defensively and played a huge part in our change of style.

I did mention that Grabban didn't look on his toes yet , almost as though he was reacting rather than anticipating , i did say he'll come good though .
His hold up play has been very good anyway.
I'll be surprised if he doesn't hit 15+ goals for us this season put it that way.