Gills Friendlies 2018-19 | Page 4 | Vital Football

Gills Friendlies 2018-19

Interesting that we do not have a home friendly. Would not be surprised if we have an EFL team at home before the season starts.

Beat Tonbridge 5-1 and drew 3-3 at Margate having led 3-0, although we appear to have brought the kids on in wholesale changes at half time.

Interesting mix of first teamers at both matches. Goals for Hanlan (2) Reilly, M'bo and Moussa at Tonbridge and Nash (2), and Wilkinson at Margate. Margate scored their three after we changed our entire team for a more youthful outfit on the hour. No Eaves at either game. Not sure if there's a story there.

Positives coming from both friendlies today. First teamers comfortably leading Margate 3-0 before all being replaced. Both Nash and Hanlan scoring twice in their respective games. Another goal from Moussa and Wilkinson hit one in from 20-odd yards.

Only negative is that, according to reports, Eaves was seen using crutches and wearing a protective boot yesterday.

Luke Cawdell just tweeted that Steve Lovell said that Eaves had turned his ankle in training and it wasn't worth risking him. That doesn't sound too serious.

I used to frequent The Red Dog back in my cricket days. I played 1 season for High Halstow, but also for many seasons with away teams we'd often have a few in the cricket club pavillion then retire to the RD till closing time. And when I was back in UK 2 years ago I went through there and stopped off for a lunch time pint. Still going. i had a nostalgic stroll across the wicket too, as well as at Leeds (overlooking the Castle).

Is that the cricket ground with a watery ditch around it ? (or at least part of it)
If so , I too played there.

Looking forward to my first game of the season tonight at Dartford. It hammered down with rain this time last year -how different now.

Anyway, anyone know if it's a "1st" team and "2's" at Whitstable, or is it going to be a mix?

I'll get down to Dover this afternoon. Seems that they'll be splitting the first teamers, young pro's and a few youths, equally between Dover and Ebbsfleet.

Dover are usually a good test. Even more so when only half our first teamers will be there.

To date, our friendlies have probably been played with the main aim being fitness. Next week at Colchester, will hopefully see SL`s projected L1 starting line-up take to the field and play the game out. We`ve several new signings and it`s time to get them gelling. I`m a little surprised that we hadn`t started the gelling process by concentrating, all out, on one of the two games yesterday. IF we did, I hope it wasn`t aganist Ebbsfleet. I watched a friendly yesterday involving EFL players and they were certainly already in "gelling mode". Are we on course or is the pre-season a bit tame ?

So SL says today:

"We’re all right and it’s just a matter of us putting out a team now to gel together in the next couple of weeks".

Seems probable that (injured) Eaves won`t be involved until, at least, Burton Albion at home. But Wilko is likely to spearhead the attack next week at Colchester ? Hope that Wilko has a good game there as it seems we will likely be depending on him at Accy.

I still think our pre-season is a week behind where it should be but, no doubt, SL has a crafty plan and will (hopefully) put whingers like me in their place at the Wham......

First & second year pros play at Chatham this evening, which means that Gills Gelling starts tonight at Eastleigh - pleasing. Anyone going ? Feedback will be interesting..