Rams still in pole position for Liverpool striker | Vital Football

Rams still in pole position for Liverpool striker

Wilson is 5' 8" and 11 stone so will make an ideal strike partner for Luke Thomas who stands all of 5' 7" who is 10 stones 8 lbs. Put the pair of them alongside 5' 11" Mason Bennett and we have a huge forward line :grinning: ..................

As it appears FL wants to play a fluid 1-4-3-3 we would have the following for our front 3. Big guys in Nuge, Jerome and Blackman. Smaller and more nimble in Lawrence, Vydra, Wilson, Thomas, Bennett plus a couple of possibles from the U23s in Vernam and Zanzala.

Going on the premise that Blackman will be loaned out again or sold as he was won't want to be #3 to Nuge and Jerome if we even play a big lad up top. Will we still have Vydra in 3 weeks time? I hope so. That leaves, provided Vyds stays and we do play a big un, Bennett, Thomas, Wilson (if we get him) and Lawrence fighting for the 3rd spot in the starting XI.

If we are to give the likes of Thomas and Bennett a chance, and on Saturday's performance we should, do we really need Wilson?

If we then add the alleged possibility of Jozefzoon coming in from Brentford, that's another one to add to the possible permutations. He is also 5' 8" and 11 stone.

Do you see a pattern developing here?

because there is no way we can fit all these "tiny players" into any team - and so I cannot believe we are going to retain/acquire all the ones noted above, and surely not start them all. We would get bullied off the park. there would be no point having wingers or wing backs putting crosses in....

because there is no way we can fit all these "tiny players" into any team - and so I cannot believe we are going to retain/acquire all the ones noted above, and surely not start them all. We would get bullied off the park. there would be no point having wingers or wing backs putting crosses in....
t

Well he is a winger and much better than what we have already got No reason you should get bullied with the likes of Huddleston Ledley Jerome Johnson and Thorne in the team

True but if you have those 5 in there, you will only have room for the one "small guy" and hence the small forward line approach MA alludes to would not be happening!

In reality the "front 6" would need to include Huddlestone, Vydra (if he's still here) and one more of Ledley/Thorne/Johnson if not two. Throw in Lawrence and Jerome to start and that leaves one place for Wilson/Thomas/Bennett or anyone else that we may want - Elsnik? So do we need the extra shortarse? Bringing Wilson in would simply condemn our young players to another year on the fringes - is that what we want?

True but if you have those 5 in there, you will only have room for the one "small guy" and hence the small forward line approach MA alludes to would not be happening!

In reality the "front 6" would need to include Huddlestone, Vydra (if he's still here) and one more of Ledley/Thorne/Johnson if not two. Throw in Lawrence and Jerome to start and that leaves one place for Wilson/Thomas/Bennett or

Vanyone else that we may want - Elsnik? So do we need the extra shortarse? Bringing Wilson in would simply condemn our young players to another year on the fringes - is that

Roger i think it's totally irrelevant about height except for defenders Football is about skill not brute force Man Cty have just won the title without playing a big man up front Liverpool don't use one The only reason I want us to sign Wilson is because I know he is a lot better player
than Thomas Bennett or Elsnick at the moment Next season this division will be hard to even stay in it anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded Don't worry about our young players being on the fringes if they are good enough they will get their chance But you can't play them Just because they are our youngsters unless you want to watch Div1 football next season

Thats an interesting observation - would I rather drop down a division and help our homegrown players mature and become starters at championship level, or bringing in and providing an experience to better premiership youngsters who currently cannot find a place in their host club.

On balance, having seen how ineffective "not quite ready PL players" have been for us over the last few years: Lingard, to a degree Ibe, James Wilson, Palmer didnt light the sky up, I think I would stick with our own rather than give experience to someone who would never join us on a permanent

... just realised that I forgot Chris Martin in all this talk about the available forward line.

That gives us Blackman, Jerome, Nugent, Martin, Vydra, Bennett and Thomas plus Vernam and Zanzala from the U23s.

Bring in Wilson and Jozefzoon as well and that's 11 players for 3 positions.

We really need to shift some players out. FLs first choice Exiteers are likely to be Blackman and Martin IMO

Thats an interesting observation - would I rather drop down a division and help our homegrown players mature and become starters at championship level, or bringing in and providing an experience to better premiership youngsters who currently cannot find a place in their host club.

On balance, having seen how ineffective "not quite ready PL players" have been for us over the last few years: Lingard, to a degree Ibe, James Wilson, Palmer didnt light the sky up, I think I would stick with our own rather than give experience to someone who would never join us on a permanent

Roger I suppose it comes down to preference really you maybe wouldn't be concerned if we stuck with the youngsters and got relegated But I would be mortified I want Prem football and don't care how many loans it takes to help get it along with the majority of fans Huddersfield went up with a host of Man Cty and Chelsea players then bought some of them But harsh on the loanees Ibe was good for us Lingers was ok Wilson played three times and then long term injury Rowett hardly played Palmer but I don't rate him anyway I think if you check there will not be many Championship clubs who don't have Prem players on loan of course like any signing and no matter how much you pay some will be a success and some will not the same as youngster you try

Latest Rams News