England v Panama thread. | Page 5 | Vital Football

England v Panama thread.

England did what they had to,but some dodgy moments in defence.The back three seem to have a mistake in them
That goal was painful to watch. Even playing the offside trap you have to turn and give with your man. (Unless you can do it like Japan managed of course.)

So what.

You can only beat what's put in front of you and we did, 6-1. Panama finished above the US in qualifying and were there on merit.

I happen to agree we were flattered by the score, but let's enjoy the fact we have 6 points out of 6, and have scored 8 goals. I don't understand why we should be critical of that, and I don't feel the team deserves it. This team has a quite refreshing attitude and deserves more unconditional support - much more than some in the past.

At the end of the day we are not a great team, and therefore we should expect them to be mullered by a decent team. We are more than likely to lose to Belgium and another decent team later in the tournament. That's the reality of it. So let's enjoy our results so far and not let unrealistic expectation get in the way.

I don't follow nor support the England Football Team, never have.

The England and Wales Cricket Team, especially the One Day Team as it's captained by an Irishman, is the only national team apart from the Irish Rugby Team and the ROI Football team.

Father's side of the family is Irish and I will be applying for my Irish Passport when Brexit comes.

So for me, there is no ''We" in following the English Football Team.

Mrs Jeff supports Wales, as she is Welsh. Mini Jeffina thinks football is naff and that cricket is by far the more superior sport. Can't fault her really

??

The England and Wales Cricket Team, especially the One Day Team as it's captained by an Irishman, is the only national team apart from the Irish Rugby Team and the ROI Football team.

Father's side of the family is Irish and I will be applying for my Irish Passport when Brexit comes.

Mrs Jeff supports Wales, as she is Welsh. Mini Jeffina thinks football is naff and that cricket is by far the more superior sport. Can't fault her really

??

I only get behind England football in the Euros or WC. I'm also a big cricket fan myself, especially test cricket.

Great win yesterday, unlucky to be overshadowed by the football. Perhaps next time we should have a warm up game against the Aussies and a 5 match series against Scotland - might be more of a contest :lol:

Well no-one else has managed to put 6 past anyone at the WC no matter how poor they are. Thought we looked lively and (contrary to my prediction) fit and hungry. Not a good enough defence to go much further unfortunately but definitely progress from previous England teams at recent tournaments. I think Southgate is doing a good job here

I only get behind England football in the Euros or WC. I'm also a big cricket fan myself, especially test cricket.

Great win yesterday, unlucky to be overshadowed by the football. Perhaps next time we should have a warm up game against the Aussies and a 5 match series against Scotland - might be more of a contest :lol:

Or rather we fell over the line after Australia found a bit of bottle? Great innings from Buttler and a nice cameo grind from Rashid. Not sure our next opposition will be so profligate.

Or rather we fell over the line after Australia found a bit of bottle? Great innings from Buttler and a nice cameo grind from Rashid. Not sure our next opposition will be so profligate.

I know, but like the football, let's enjoy it while we can!

??

Why wait for Brexit Jeff, apply for your passport now and if you don't feel any affinity to England bugger off to Ireland now. Standard of living is OK over there at the moment, then when they've spent all there EU handouts they will apply for more and more......and more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played a pub team and scored few from open play. Some people on my social media feed thinking that the World Cup has been won.

Any decent team would have mullered England today. Belgium will be an appropriate test.

Not that I'm overrating us, but let's be honest Belgium can't have beaten anyone worth it either since they are in our group...

Not that I'm overrating us, but let's be honest Belgium can't have beaten anyone worth it either since they are in our group...

No, they have also been lucky in that they have been in a group with what's turned out to be two weak sides and fortunate to have played the hardest game last - unlike say Portugal/Spain/Germany who were put under pressure early on.

If you're looking at it rationally Belgium have a better keeper than England, better defenders, a better and far more creative midfield. England have a better striker, but even that's not by much.

There's no reason why England can't do well against anyone if they stay in the game, so from now defending (and what I believe they now like to call "transition") will be important. So far that back three and keeper inspire little confidence.

No, they have also been lucky in that they have been in a group with what's turned out to be two weak sides and fortunate to have played the hardest game last - unlike say Portugal/Spain/Germany who were put under pressure early on.

If you're looking at it rationally Belgium have a better keeper than England, better defenders, a better and far more creative midfield. England have a better striker, but even that's not by much.

There's no reason why England can't do well against anyone if they stay in the game, so from now defending (and what I believe they now like to call "transition") will be important. So far that back three and keeper inspire little confidence.

Our back 3 have scored more than Messi :-)

It’ll end up a back 5 against Belgium I’d guess. Rely on the pace and the fact that Kane can put almost anything in the back of the net.

Southgate better than Martinez?

Why wait for Brexit Jeff, apply for your passport now and if you don't feel any affinity to England bugger off to Ireland now. Standard of living is OK over there at the moment, then when they've spent all there EU handouts they will apply for more and more......and more.

Nothing like a bit of casual racism on a Monday. The reason for the Irish Passport is so I won't have any issue travelling around the EU. As for Ireland it rains too much there, it may be a bit too expensive to travel for my season ticket and worse, I'm scared of nuns.

I never said I didn't feel any affinity to England. Just not their football team.

I do pass the Norman Tebbit test mind. So that's OK by me.

Nothing like a bit of casual racism on a Monday. The reason for the Irish Passport is so I won't have any issue travelling around the EU. As for Ireland it rains too much there, it may be a bit too expensive to travel for my season ticket and worse, I'm scared of nuns.

I never said I didn't feel any affinity to England. Just not their football team.

I do pass the Norman Tebbit test mind. So that's OK by me.
He has a point about the passport. No harm to get one now.

Would anyone like a debate about how Brexit is a bad idea or should I leave that one?

I have suffered many indifferent England performances over the years (1990 excluded) but it is nice to watch a World Cup and see us score a few goals for a change. I still remember us struggling against Trinidad & Tobago for 83 minutes during the group stages in 2006 and still reaching the quarter finals. Watching the 0-0 draw with Algeria 4 years later was very much a drab experience as was the whole tournament. 2014 was very much the lowest point. Nobody really should have any expectations of us getting any further than the quarter finals but at least we have made a worthwhile contribution.

Looking at the performances of other teams so far in the competition I don't think we should be so hard on ourselves. Most teams are showing weaknesses. Who would you say looked better than us so far? Belgium- on a par, Portugal- if the ref lets Twatty do as he likes then yes, Croatia -yes, Mexico- can turn it on. But Argies, no, germany-no, brazil-no, spain-no, France-on a par, Uruguay- no, Colombia- no.
We've never had a better chance to win a World Cup. We'll need a bit of luck, but i think it's do-able.