The Vital World Cup thread. Comment, argue, debate... | Page 16 | Vital Football

The Vital World Cup thread. Comment, argue, debate...

The Belgium game won't be representative either. Both will be resting key players and giving chances to those who haven't had much game time.

Thing is though RD, both games have been played with just Henderson in the defensive role, and although I think he's played OK, he's not exactly cover for the back.

I think we'll see a slight change when we face better opposition, maybe Dier and Henderson , but definitely not so open in the middle.

Will be interesting to see what Gareth does.

With 3 at the back, Dier and Henderson in front of them is very negative though.

No point picking the team until Weds eve.

If Southgate is brave then he'll rest one of Walker or Trips and go to 4-2-3-1 with Dier and Henderson playing and the same attacking 4. Not a chance Martinez is ready for that.

oh god... the media are getting carried away already because we thrashed Panama. They're a pub side for crying out loud. We struggled against Tunisia... There's MUCH better sides to worry about before we start rating ourselves as favourites.

oh god... the media are getting carried away already because we thrashed Panama. They're a pub side for crying out loud. We struggled against Tunisia... There's MUCH better sides to worry about before we start rating ourselves as favourites.

But at least we haven't embarrassed ourselves this time and for now, that will do me.WhatsApp Image 2018-06-25 at 09.47.18.jpeg

Last edited:
I think it is more the case that almost everyone LIKES his team and wants them to do well.

Also, it’s a media response to being accused of lambasting the team every step of the way.

Quarter finals was considered acceptable for this team and it's looking possible. At that stage who knows, the Spanish are probably the best team although on paper Belgium look strong, it's just that they don't have any history really so far. Of all the big guns left England would have a chance IMO and not just a make up the numbers chance.

Quarter finals was considered acceptable for this team and it's looking possible. At that stage who knows, the Spanish are probably the best team although on paper Belgium look strong, it's just that they don't have any history really so far. Of all the big guns left England would have a chance IMO and not just a make up the numbers chance.
NRD, I am cautiously optimistic, but would like Southgate tested for his tactical nous v Belgium, The other night he brought on Vardy, but the lads stopped playing and I don't think he even got a touch. We've all been crying out for Rose to make an appearance, but imo, he did zilch. I worry though that Southgate may have his favourites, namely, Young, Sterling and Henderson. I am proud of Trippier. Hopes Poch utilises him for fee kicks and corners. The standout player for me so far.

NRD, I am cautiously optimistic, but would like Southgate tested for his tactical nous v Belgium, The other night he brought on Vardy, but the lads stopped playing and I don't think he even got a touch. We've all been crying out for Rose to make an appearance, but imo, he did zilch. I worry though that Southgate may have his favourites, namely, Young, Sterling and Henderson. I am proud of Trippier. Hopes Poch utilises him for fee kicks and corners. The standout player for me so far.

Vardy did a couple of good things when he came on.

Well, the opportunity is ripe for England to go far in the tournament. With several of the big teams doing poor and being runners up in their group, we now have some great matchups that will see one of them dropping out!

Brazil vs Germany
Uruguay vs Portugal
France vs Argentina.

England have Japan or Senegal!

I have to say, I wasn’t enamoured with Christians performance, poor passes, lack of activity on many occasions, I know it was hot there but he seemed almost uninterested to try and create play. As with ALL of our players who are out there, I hope being among different squads doesn’t demotivate them or change their play for the worse, we have an important season ahead of us.