No Derby news so let’s have a dedicated England thread... | Vital Football

No Derby news so let’s have a dedicated England thread...

ramAnag

Vital Reserves Team
...without it being moved to the now neglected O/T forum please.

So we’ve got at least another two matches, probably more.
In the absence of any Derby news let’s follow Frankie’s lead and concentrate on the England performances.
Can’t help feeling that England and Derby are similarly haunted by fear of failure and under achievement.
Last night we started superbly and should have been out of sight, if Lingard had produced his United form rather than what we saw from him at Derby, well before the penalty incident.
After the break we seemed to lose our way and missed - again like Derby - a midfield leader but credit where it’s due...we stuck at it and struggled to what could easily have been a more emphatic win.
Seven and a bit out of ten for me...better than either Brazil or Germany...but beware of the Belgians!
Thoughts?

About sums it up rA though the lack of a midfield general stood out especially when Ali became a passenger.
Also, quite how Young makes the team is beyond me!! Makes me look like a whippet, god he is so slow!!
Not a bad start but as my Head Master had a habit of saying 'must do better'!

I was surprisingly impressed by the formation which was very open, attacking and, it must be said, high risk. Playing a genuine three at the back, rather than having the wing backs as part of a 5 man defence may work against teams with limited ambitions such as the Tunafish, but I expect things to be a lot tighter as we progress (IF).

So if nothing else I have just watched an England world cup game where I was not thoroughly bored, edgy and begging them to play a higher tempo. I think I last said that was on 11 June 1986. So much for the positives.

We have to take the chances created rather than knee them at the goalkeeper or shin them out for a throw in if we want to get past the last 16. I am sure we can improve this and perhaps can forgive stage fright, but 3-0 up in 15 minutes would have been a fair reflection of play if chances had been taken,

We also have to stop whingeing about Kane's penalties. "unfair" maybe, but move on, it does no-one any good to obsess about them

But the best news coming out of the aftermath is that more people watched the game than did the ******* royal wedding. Priorities seem to have been corrected, although maybe Kieran Trippier (my man of the match) could have come on as a substitute for Megan Merkel!

BBC just confirmed that the VAR panel DID look at the 2 penalty incidents involving Kane and Big Daddy and they saw no reason to give a penalty.

The first might have been down to a Stones push a millisecond prior to the body slam on Kane, however, there is no such excuse for the 2nd.

Agree about Trippier Rog...though MM is definitely prettier...which is almost an anagram.

Megan Merkel...not Mel Morris!!!

Last edited:
Those officials just weren't up to the job. The linesmen have been instructed to let close offsides continue because of a goal is scored it'll be reviewed anyway, but last night they pulled up both teams when clearly onside.

Also at the end there were 4 minutes of injury time signalled during which Kane scored and spent half an hour celebrating, followed by the slowest substitution in history only for the ref to still blow for time on 4 minutes.

Also, with var did you find yourselves jumping around celebrating the goal, then anxiously watching the replay for any small misdemeanor?

Those officials just weren't up to the job.

Truest thing I've read of late.

They have the Laws. They have the interpretation given to them. Then they are told to act to cut out certain things. They then go on to ignore all 3..........

Sack the bloody lot of them.

I found it refreshing, and quite enjoyed it. Youth is the way forward. Only criticism is Henderson, thought he was poor, was like watching Butterfield.

Well done Gareth, onwards!!

We also have to stop whingeing about Kane's penalties. "unfair" maybe, but move on, it does no-one any good to obsess about them
No, but the whole VAR thing does need looking at, what would have been peoples attitude if we hadn't had won the game with a late Kane goal?

I haven't seen or heard a single person say that it wasn't a penalty appart from the ref and those half a dozen people in the VAR control room..................what were they watching to possibly have missed a stone walled penalty claim, and why wasn't it given on review, which we are now told happened?

The Brazilian FA have put an official complaint about the lack of var review of the Swiss equaliser.

I found it refreshing, and quite enjoyed it. Youth is the way forward. Only criticism is Henderson, thought he was poor, was like watching Butterfield.

Well done Gareth, onwards!!

I know he wasn’t that great Adi, but likening him to Butterfield seems a bit harsh. Maybe Liverpool would consider a swap! :shake:

I suppose we should agree with the gaffer, however, disagreeing with Shearer seems to me to be an admirable trait ;)

6-1...a more than decent result at any level and you can only beat what’s in front of you.
Remember struggling to beat mighty Trinidad and Tobago at a similar stage twelve years ago. Thoroughly embarrassing and frustrating so let’s not belittle the result against Panama.
With qualification assured how do ourselves and Belgium handle the final group stage match?

Martinez has already said he will be ringing the changes in his selection so you can expect all fit players from the first 2 games to be selected again ;)

What should Southgate do? The pundits on the beeb yesterday said play, as far as injuries allow, the same team. Winning is a great habit and one we should go for. That means Trippier is a doubt but the rest look fit enough. Of the others there may be a case for bringing Alli back in for Loftus Cheek. He might also look to Rashford rather than Sterling. Apart from those I would keep the same XI.

Absolute brilliant result, will be interesting to see what team Gareth puts out against Belgium?
Rest all the team that played Panama except Sterling,he is bound to come good sooner or later. We still have a decent side with Buckland, in goal Wellbeck up front, Dire, Jones, but who the feck is Trent Alexander Arnold?????

Brilliant result, very enjoyable. So refreshing to see these "going for it" performances, reignited my enjoyment for the England national side.

Next game should see the same line up for me, give them a chance to gel a bit more before the harder tests come, but make key early substitutions: Kane & Tripier being my 1st 2 off around the 60 minute mark.

Latest Rams News