Does anyone Remember | Vital Football

Does anyone Remember

ZAKKY

Vital Football Hero
I was reminiscing with a pal last night about old Latics players and a couple of names came up and I was wandering if anyone remembered them. Alvin Williams CF
Peter Higham CF Jimmy Prescott MF Ken Twiddle RW
One for the old timers

Peter Higham had three spells with us in the late fifties early sixties, barely remember him as a very young sprog. According to Wikipaedia started his career with us in the 48/49 season. Wasn't a prolific scorer.

Earliest names I remember were the recently deceased Bert Llewelyn , Roy Lace, Benny Cairney, Ian Sandilands and Sandford and H Lyon and Dave Gaskell .... about 67 I think ?

Earliest names I remember were the recently deceased Bert Llewelyn , Roy Lace, Benny Cairney, Ian Sandilands and Sandford and H Lyon and Dave Gaskell .... about 67 I think ?

Ian Gillibrand and Ian Kilford I think you mean, David Gaskell signed from Man Utd he played in goal in the 1963 FA Cup final probably the best keeper we have ever had

Last edited:
We got Jimmy Prescott from Southport in 1957, He spent 2 seasons with us before going to Horwich for season 59/60. He then returned for another 2 seasons. His last game for us was the 1962 LNLSC Final at Anfield. In all he scored 56 goals in 189 league and cup games. I did a playing record certificate for his 80th birthday,. Sadly ,he died a few months later.

There is a past article on Wigan World Album on Ken Twidle and Peter Higham. I'm sure Ken emigrated to Australia.

Ian Gillibrand and Ian Kilford I think you mean, David Gaskell signed from Man Utd he played in goal in the 1963 FA Cup final probably the best keeper we have ever had

Again, I remember Gaskell but the keeper that stands out for me was Denis Reeves.

N

No of course I remember Ian Gillibrand (all time favourite of mine) and Kilford , (well blood and sand) I was virtually middle aged when he was here !
Ian Sandilands and Ian Sandiford were the almost identically named players in the team around 67/68 ?....ish

Alvan Williams came from Exeter City at the start of season 1961/62. The centre forward played 11 games scoring 5 goals before moving on to Bangor City during the season. He record before coming to us is also on Wikipedia.