The Politics Thread | Page 354 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

You are saying that Britain can't take asylum seekers because the government is incompetent.

Still, even with an incompetent government, they are coming. You can make it more difficult for them but it just makes it more profitable for the people smugglers.

Wouldn't it be better to have a competent government and fewer people smugglers?
A while back on this thread @colavfc asked the question where are we going to put all these people.
We have just had an influx of Afghans that need housing, we have given 5million Hong Kongers the right to reside here if they want to come.
Next to Netherlands we already have the highest population density persquare kl in Europe.Adding to it is madness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I massively sympathise with both economic migrants and genuine asylum seekers. I’m a fairly middle of the road person, but the other side of the coin is the security at home. It only takes a few bad eggs to create atrocities like the Manchester arenas of tube bombing. We’re too liberal and also try to operate everything on minimal cost to be able cover all bases. As a parent, the security threat gets more concerning for me, however minimal.

Putin must be laughing his socks off at the strain these proxy wars put on Western Europe.
I was going to comment on that angle but guessed I would be leapt on for being sensational.
It is however a fact that the last two attrocities committed in this country were by failed asylum seekers.
We don't have a clue who is entering this country.

More houses could be built. When I was in Wolverhampton, there were empty streets all around the city. It's a long time ago now but I don't imagine much has chanced in that shithole.

Britain would get the boom of a lifetime from 5m Hong Kongers. Build up a big, bustling city just like Hong Kong to replace some shit hole like Stoke or Coventry. Hong Kongers won't be dragging their knuckles around town all day like those dopes from Stoke.

More houses could be built. When I was in Wolverhampton, there were empty streets all around the city. It's a long time ago now but I don't imagine much has chanced in that shithole.

Britain would get the boom of a lifetime from 5m Hong Kongers. Build up a big, bustling city just like Hong Kong to replace some shit hole like Stoke or Coventry. Hong Kongers won't be dragging their knuckles around town all day like those dopes from Stoke.
And who is paying for this?

Pie in the sky mate.
We haven't built enough houses for our own citizens to buy, never mind building tens of thousands for foriegners to live in.
Political dynamite.

Taxpayers, including the successful asylum seekers - who are predominantly well-educated - working and paying into the coffers.

Who's paying to turn them all back and fly them or stick them on boats?
Well educated? That's surely a wind up.

Yep. Get the Navy to turn them back. We pay for the Navy anyway so no problem. No extra charge there.

I wonder how many of them speak English?
From the ones I have worked with for 15 years the answer is zero.

Well educated? That's surely a wind up.

Yep. Get the Navy to turn them back. We pay for the Navy anyway so no problem. No extra charge there.

I wonder how many of them speak English?
From the ones I have worked with for 15 years the answer is zero.
Yes. Typically it's middle class well-educated people who can afford to pay the traffickers.

English is a really commonly spoken language across the world, so quite a few will.

Neither of the above comes into whether it's right to offer people asylum or not of course.

Pretty sure most of our navy didn't sign up to repel desperate families in the middle of the cold sea to a high probability of death.

Yes. Typically it's middle class well-educated people who can afford to pay the traffickers.

English is a really commonly spoken language across the world, so quite a few will.

Neither of the above comes into whether it's right to offer people asylum or not of course.

Pretty sure most of our navy didn't sign up to repel desperate families in the middle of the cold sea to a high probability of death.
People signed up to the Navy to protect UK citizens.
I'm sure the army and special services also didn't sign up to go to an illegal war either.

It's not pie in the sky. Houses can be built.
Yes agree, they can, but it needs a massive sea change for it to happen, builders have to be forced to give access to their land banks and banks must forced to lend at affordable rates, but I don't know how you do that in a free market economy.

Wasting your time asking the question col.
When it comes to the hard practicalities no one has any answers.

The answer is simple: do what has been suggested over and over! Have processing centres in Calais.

That would do away with the people smugglers and people risking there lives.

I'm not saying no one would try to do the dinghy way. Probably those turned down however it would put a severe dent in the smugglers pockets.

France for processing centres is fine. The ludicrous places Patel is on about of Albania is not O.K.