Pre match protest on Tuesday | Page 9 | Vital Football

Pre match protest on Tuesday

I am also uncomfortable about banning spectators in the interests of free speech but if we stood outside Tesco complaining about their products, their management, etc. we might very well get a store ban. It could deter others from shopping there and so be finacially damaging to the company.

I don't know - if Gillingham FC is the pub, Steve Evans is the landlord, and Paul Scally is the brewery. You can slag off Shepherd Neames beer, without slagging off the pub or the Landlord, can't you?
Of course, you can moan about the product (in GFCs case, the football) but personal abuse isn't criticism, its abuse. Should PS have to listen to that inside the ground?
What people forget is that to abuse a person using that sort of language on a public forum is actually a criminal offence, PS would be within his rights to report this guy to the Police.

What a complete See You Next Tuesday

Would you believe, there was an “underground” tourist advertising campaign for the Northern Territory over here, with the slogan -

“C U in the NT”.

I kid you not.

Apparently tho, their display gear (T shirts, signs, mugs etc) are banned from being sold in Darwin

I don’t think the authorities were best pleased…..

Last edited:
Drop his asking price ?
(whatever that is....?)
The whole point of the SOB is to find a new buyer who is intent on running the business outside of it’s current financial constraints.
If someone cannot afford to buy it at the going rate then they certainly would not be able to financially subsidise the club.

The whole point of the SOB is to find a new buyer who is intent on running the business outside of it’s current financial constraints.
If someone cannot afford to buy it at the going rate then they certainly would not be able to financially subsidise the club.

My interpretation of what the SOB want was different and I guess this is why PS says that he doesn’t understand what “Scally Out” means.

I thought they wanted a new owner / new direction. Wasn’t clear to me that they wanted someone with the funds to subsidise the club.

I think MiK mentioned before that he just wanted a new owner, not necessarily to take us to the Premier League, but to engage with the community more.

My interpretation of what the SOB want was different and I guess this is why PS says that he doesn’t understand what “Scally Out” means.

I thought they wanted a new owner / new direction. Wasn’t clear to me that they wanted someone with the funds to subsidise the club.

I think MiK mentioned before that he just wanted a new owner, not necessarily to take us to the Premier League, but to engage with the community more.
Oh okay.
I misunderstood.
I thought that the intentions of SOB was to improve things both on and off the pitch.
Off the pitch, Scally runs a tight ship and that part of the business is profitable. (Pre covid)
On the pitch, he gives the manager the budget that the club can afford (a bit more actually)
Unless a new owner would subsidise this part, then we remain in the same financial position.

Before he started doing his regular communications, he was slated for being unapproachable and not communicating with the fans.
Dammed if you do ………

Fair comment. I suppose I meant he wasn't the main topic of conversation but I wasn't that clear.

Fair comment. I suppose I meant he wasn't the main topic of conversation but I wasn't that clear.

He’s only been the main topic of conversation because of some fans hatred of him.

It’s a pity that the main drivers of the SOB movement aren’t more like you Mark. A pretty considered voice that simply wants a new direction and invigoration through the club. I’d love that too.

Unfortunately, from all the comments online I don’t believe most of the vocal lot have any idea what they want and what they think is wrong. Apart from wanting Scally gone whether GFC survives or not.

Not a lot he or anyone can do to change those entrenched attitudes.

I read that, so to add another part to the question, what behaviour do you think deserves being called a c*** on a public forum? We all agree that there are parts if his running of the club that aren't perfect but, IMO, he doesn't deserve personal abuse.
Would you let this bloke into your pub knowing that he calls you a c*** just because you don't sell his favourite crisps?

How many times have the RE called our current manager a **** in the past? The personal abuse SE has taken inside the ground from ours supporters over the years has been vile at times. PS hasn't banned all of them?

This isn't about personal abuse, it's more about people openly not liking him or his methods. His ego can't take it. PS is a football club chairman ffs, chairman have had far worse happen to them than being called a ****.

Is being called a **** nice, no, but kids nowadays use it more often than please in a sentence.

Is being called a **** nice, no, but kids nowadays use it more often than please in a sentence.

My son knows to treat people and property with respect. When he hears someone at football shouting Scally is a ****, he knows it’s wrong and he knows not to repeat it.

Not sure whether you’re trying to normalise unacceptable language. Or maybe it is a Medway thing?

My son knows to treat people and property with respect. When he hears someone at football shouting Scally is a ****, he knows it’s wrong and he knows not to repeat it.

Not sure whether you’re trying to normalise unacceptable language. Or maybe it is a Medway thing?

Whether you like it or not (and I dont and i pulled my daughters boyfriend up on it the other day) it is the norm with youngsters.

Whether you like it or not (and I dont and i pulled my daughters boyfriend up on it the other day) it is the norm with youngsters.
Depends which youngsters you come across I suppose, it's not a word I've heard my kids or their mates use over the years but maybe they've been careful not to use it around me 🤔
Either way, doesn't make it right and the fact that some shouted it at SE doesn't make it right either. Directing it at someone on a written public forum is illegal as I have pointed out numerous times to some on this very board. If we can't have a difference of views without calling the other person a c***, we're in a pretty bad state.
Freedom of speech is fine until it crosses the line of decency and lawfulness.

So what do you think is "the going rate" ?

IMO, it should be possible to find a consortium of fans with enough business background and money between them to form a decent Board.
But not at any price. (e.g. Scally's asking price ?)

On the "fans" thread you posted:
There is a recognised formula for valuing a business LSB.
I suppose it depends on whether the seller is looking for top end or bottom end.
That is defined by the motivation of the seller.
It’s similar when selling anything.
When I bought our first house down here in Croyde, the seller was very keen to move back to the midlands so I made a bit of a cheeky offer and to our surprise, it was accepted.
When we bought the next one in Instow, they would not budge a fiver.
For GFC Ltd, do you have an idea of:
a) a formula for a football club ?
b) a "top" and "bottom" ?
And what about a stadium ?

I ask, because it is very frustrating when someone repeats Scally's line of "no credible offers" without asking whether Scally's ask is "credible" ?

On the "fans" thread, Trashbat suggested that GFC might be worth £1,000,000 - and justified that amount from the Accounts.

Such an amount should not be beyond a local consortium.
But it is almost certain that Scally wants much, much more.

IMO, it should be possible to find a consortium of fans with enough business background and money between them to form a decent Board.

I ask, because it is very frustrating when someone repeats Scally's line of "no credible offers" without asking whether Scally's ask is "credible" ?

On the "fans" thread, Trashbat suggested that GFC might be worth £1,000,000 - and justified that amount from the Accounts.

I don’t know what the value of the business is and to be honest, it’s not that difficult to find the market value.
A simple comparison of a similar size football club that owns it’s ground would be a logical comparison.
If that’s a million, then that’s the value of GFC ltd.
My guess is that it would be more than that.
How much exactly ?
Well your guess is as good as mine.
As I’ve said, it’s how motivated the seller is and how motivated the buyer is.
I wouldn’t imagine that there is a long line of people thinking to themselves that they would love to buy a provincial struggling football club with an irate fan issue.
I think we are stuck with each other or alternatively Scally just loses interest and lets it drift.

Couple of points of order:

First:

By deduction there have been offers to buy the club that meet PS’s valuation. He has said that he has engaged 3rd party advisors to do due diligence on potential buyers. He surely wouldn’t do that if the offer was significantly below his asking price.

When he referred to ‘credible offers’ I understood him to mean that either the buyers didn’t pass the initial due diligence because they couldn’t demonstrate that they had the funding; and/or there were concerns around money laundering.

Second point:

When I suggested a valuation of £1m - that is very much a floor valuation based on net asset value. It would probably only be accepted if the club was being wound up.

The cost of building land in Medway is about £3.5 million per hectare.
I don’t know how big the overall Priestfield site is but I would think that it's bigger than a hectare, and as previously developed land and considering it’s location, permission would probably not be an issue.

Last edited: