The Politics Thread | Page 352 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

How are you going to do that?

Surely we can debate this in Brussels, and perhaps use our leverage as a big power within the Union to create a Returns mechanism for migrants to return to the country they came from?

Oh shit, we voted that power away in 2016.

This casual phrase "illegal immigrants" is not accurate. Anyone fetching up in a dinghy in the vicinity of Dover is entitled to ask for asylum. They are therefore not "illegal" at that point. When their case is heard, they will either be given leave to remain or they will be told that their claim has been rejected at which juncture they will be illegal and subject to deportation.
I've just read that at least five people were drowned just off the coast of Calais earlier today. Very sad.

How are you going to do that?
There's the problem.
We give them a roof over their head, benefits and pocket money.
The French give them nothing.
Hence the pull.
It needs to stop, give them nothing the same as the French, which will act as a deterrent, introduce ID cards so they cant work in the black economy, cut down the appeals process to avoid multiple appeals and deport upon failure of appeal back to last known country, France or Belgium
The whole thing has to be speeded up and stop taking any notice of left wing pro immigration groups
We take enough through the legal channels, we don't need these.

This casual phrase "illegal immigrants" is not accurate. Anyone fetching up in a dinghy in the vicinity of Dover is entitled to ask for asylum. They are therefore not "illegal" at that point. When their case is heard, they will either be given leave to remain or they will be told that their claim has been rejected at which juncture they will be illegal and subject to deportation.
I've just read that at least five people were drowned just off the coast of Calais earlier today. Very sad.

I don’t know if this is media bias and influence, it always amazes me how much these people pay to make it here which gets into the thousands. Either they are more affluent, have been saving for years or are taking on debt. Those in the most dire circumstances arguably the most needing of asylum don’t have a cat in hells chance of getting close.

It makes you wonder whether the whole asylum thing is a bit of a political PR exercise, to tick a few boxes.

That’s not to say I think we can open the doors to hundreds of thousands of migrants each year from vastly different cultures, the news reports of Afghan refugees paints one picture but it isn’t always as rosy in reality when they settle here. The culture difference is vastly different and that causes problems in itself

Last edited:
Surely we can debate this in Brussels, and perhaps use our leverage as a big power within the Union to create a Returns mechanism for migrants to return to the country they came from?

Oh shit, we voted that power away in 2016.
Cheap shot. They refused to do anything when we were members despite many requests to take them back

They also to comply with the law should have requested asylum in the first safe country, and this was not the UK.

I don’t know if this is media bias and influence, it always amazes me how much these people pay to make it here which gets into the thousands. Either they are more affluent, have been saving for years or are taking on debt. Those in the most dire circumstances arguably the most needing of asylum don’t have a cat in hells chance of getting close.

It makes you wonder whether the whole asylum thing is a bit of a political PR exercise, to tick a few boxes.

That’s not to say I think we can open the doors to hundreds of thousands of migrants each year from vastly different cultures, the news reports of Afghan refugees paints one picture but it always as rosy. The culture difference is vastly different and that causes problems in itself
Fact is that of last week out of over 25000 that have arrived five have been removed despite many being told they have no claim

They also to comply with the law should have requested asylum in the first safe country, and this was not the UK.
Not the case, actually.
There was the "Dublin Accord" which agreed that asylum seekers could be returned to the first EU country they'd entered. But that wasn't international law. Anyway, the UK is no longer in the EU.
Realitively few people who come to Europe as refugees come to Britain.

Not the case, actually.
There was the "Dublin Accord" which agreed that asylum seekers could be returned to the first EU country they'd entered. But that wasn't international law. Anyway, the UK is no longer in the EU.
Realitively few people who come to Europe as refugees come to Britain.
Under the Dublin Accord hardly anyone was returned to France when we were in the EU.
The French have been given £150 Million
in the last three years to stop these people getting to the UK, but, understandably as they don't want them either have been turning a blind eye to launchings.
It's an election build up in France, with three far left candidates all vying to be as tough as they can on immigration, so letting them launch boats to come to the old enemy plays well with the French public

Last edited:
Under the Dublin Accord hardly anyone was returned to France when we were in the EU.
The point though is that the Dublin Accord never superceded international law. You don't have to make your claim for refugee status in the first safe country (which is the case of people fetching up in the UK was mostly not going to be France anyway).
Sabre rattling between the UK and France is not going to solve this very real problem.

The point though is that the Dublin Accord never superceded international law. You don't have to make your claim for refugee status in the first safe country (which is the case of people fetching up in the UK was mostly not going to be France anyway).
Sabre rattling between the UK and France is not going to solve this very real problem.
So what was the point of the Dublin Agreement if it couldn't be enforced. If the first safe country was not France, then that makes it more ridiculous that they have come through numerous safe countries to cherry pick the UK.
It is a very real problem and one that needs sorting before more people die.

So what was the point of the Dublin Agreement if it couldn't be enforced. If the first safe country was not France, then that makes it more ridiculous that they have come through numerous safe countries to cherry pick the UK.
It is a very real problem and one that needs sorting before more people die.

Indeed - what is the point of the Dublin agreement? But it was an agreement, not something with the force of law so far as I know so there was never any question of "enforcement".
As regards "cherry picking" the UK, 99% of the world's refugees don't get this far and nearly 90% of them live in developing countries, usually quite near to their original homes. In 2015, Germany had 10 times as many applicants.
But it is a very real problem and it is very sad that s many lost their lives today.

25 people drowned in the Channel yesterday. If the politicians would sort out a means to legal migration, those people could have got on an Easyjet like everyone else.

Britain has a shortage of workers and is also turning away people who want to work. It's a farce and it would be hilarious if vulnerable people weren't dying because of it.