The January Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 13 | Vital Football

The January Transfer Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
But somehow he works in their. Carragher started as a CF, so defining a player as one thing or another is perhaps us being lazy - he is a big lump though and will probably end up as a centre back to prolong his career. Cash was a right sided midfielder wasn’t he?

I’m quite happy with a manager working out a players best position- otherwise Thierry Henry wouldn’t have been half the player he was.
I just don't like the carthorse midfielders like Rice Philips even Jedinak

I just don't like the carthorse midfielders like Rice Philips even Jedinak
I was thinking on the great white telephone the other day andit was apparent that a Calvin or Declan would definitely improve Aston Villa’s results and ultimately our league position. You don’t necessarily have to like it, just so long as it works and we win.

I was thinking on the great white telephone the other day andit was apparent that a Calvin or Declan would definitely improve Aston Villa’s results and ultimately our league position. You don’t necessarily have to like it, just so long as it works and we win.
I'd rather have 3 steven Gerrards in midfield or players of that ilk

They don't have to be big to do that role. Although our squad height could do with being bigger all round.

Thank god, a beacon of sanity. Mendy and Kante are 2 dominating players who aren't the size of a Declan Rice or Philips. I also think ruling out the latter is silly because those two have a good range of passing too.

Midfield is more about balance than one single player. Our midfield imbalance personified. Like sticking Doucore or Sissoko in our midfield wouldnt solve a lot.

Thank god, a beacon of sanity. Mendy and Kante are 2 dominating players who aren't the size of a Declan Rice or Philips. I also think ruling out the latter is silly because those two have a good range of passing too.

Midfield is more about balance than one single player. Our midfield imbalance personified. Like sticking Doucore or Sissoko in our midfield wouldnt solve a lot.
Right? Being able to win header tennis is no longer even a top five requirement of a Premier League midfield. Positional sense, awareness, speed, decisiveness in the tackle (NOT just having to clatter someone for applause) and being able to actually play a meaningful role in attack with good range of passing and shooting are what we should be looking for. Being a "double hard bastard" *feels* right because that's what that role was for so long, but is totally irrelevant.

I'd take any of the players you've named. I know we'd love Rice and Phillips to be overrated lumps but Rice has already totally showed us up this season and Phillips marked Kane out of the game yesterday. We should be so lucky to have either of them.

I look forward to Douggie being back fit, with the other two midfielders actually instructed to give him a bit more defensive support. Up until his injury I'd say only Cash was having a better season than Luiz out of the outfield players. Wouldn't hurt to get another player who can do that role, if indeed Sanson isn't to be that.

I'd be happier if we just kept on signing Brentford's best players instead. Y'know, traditional. Rico Henry would be perfect.

I'd be happier if we just kept on signing Brentford's best players instead. Y'know, traditional. Rico Henry would be perfect.

Henry would not join us. He still holds a grudge from when we released him from the youth system. He has even said that he became a Bluenose after that happened! A bit small minded methinks.

Tried to sign him but he doesn't want to return to Brum and his gangsta life apparent or allegedly or any other get out clause

I'd assumed the link was just lazy rumours, didnt realise we had genuinely tried to sign him. Still dont think he's all that anyway and if we want to challenge for European spots, we should be looking at better quality than him

I'm pretty sure Gerrard dropped Barisic this season as his form has dipped. Looks like we will be getting linked with half the Rangers team until the end of January. Makes a change to Brentford I suppose
If Klop came to villa, we would be linked with Liverpool players too, these so-called journalists are all stealing a living by fabricating stories and links on a daily basis

I'd assumed the link was just lazy rumours, didnt realise we had genuinely tried to sign him. Still dont think he's all that anyway and if we want to challenge for European spots, we should be looking at better quality than him
Back when we were in the championship or just promoted, My Son works with his Auntie , that's how I know the story. Obviously nobody will believe it but it's true

New Aston Villa boss Steven Gerrard wants to sign Croatia left-back Borna Barisic, 29, from former club Rangers. (Daily Record)

I think they're getting their Borna's mixed up as I've seen a few stories claiming we're looking at Borna Sosa of Stuttgart. Croatian LB who would apparently cost 25m. The Stuttgart DoF is an ex Villa man with a hammer of a left foot though so maybe he'll give us a discount.

Back when we were in the championship or just promoted, My Son works with his Auntie , that's how I know the story. Obviously nobody will believe it but it's true

haha, yes I know what you mean. I've a couple of mates who know family members of players, but if you post anything you look like you're trying to be some ITK. Mind you it doesn't help when things I've been told don't happen either, then you do end up looking like a twat

Status
Not open for further replies.