ARTICLE: Michael Appleton: "The one thing I can guarantee is that the squad will be a lot stronger come January the second." - HAVE A READ! | Vital Football

ARTICLE: Michael Appleton: "The one thing I can guarantee is that the squad will be a lot stronger come January the second." - HAVE A READ!

Really pushing the early signings line aren’t they, and not much margin for error there on the dates … Appleton must be super confident we have a couple of signings confirmed, or this quote is going to be volleyed back in his face pretty hard.

Really pushing the early signings line aren’t they, and not much margin for error there on the dates … Appleton must be super confident we have a couple of signings confirmed, or this quote is going to be volleyed back in his face pretty hard.

Or...current players are getting fitter and the likes of Hopper and Walsh, players who improve our first XI, will be fit and available. It can be spun in many ways

Probably a bit of both. We obviously don’t want to get caught out like before with the last day shenanigans. Just have to hope we don’t get hung out to dry by the big clubs again. what I don’t understand (& maybe the big clubs don’t either) is that what happened in the summer window with Whittaker, doesn’t benefit either us or, more importantly, the development of a young highly rated player who needs experience. I don’t know if it’s happened but has he ended up spending half a season warming the bench & playing U23s instead of playing regularly for a L1 club?

Last edited:
Interesting that the squad shall be “a lot” stronger. That must mean that we have quality signings lined up, along with returnees from injury. If not, it’s a set up for disappointment. Lets hope everything pans out as MA expects. UTI.

Interesting that the squad shall be “a lot” stronger. That must mean that we have quality signings lined up, along with returnees from injury. If not, it’s a set up for disappointment. Lets hope everything pans out as MA expects. UTI.
He's normally quite considered in his comments but is relatively bullish here. I take it as a positive sign, especially when you think he is a manager very secure in his post and doesn't need to say anything for sound bytes or for the sake of it.

Last edited:
Or...current players are getting fitter and the likes of Hopper and Walsh, players who improve our first XI, will be fit and available. It can be spun in many ways
Not really. as he is specific about the date. 2nd jan. Can’t be that exact about Hopper and Walsh recovering, both on a specific day. But he can be confidently specific if a player, or players, have already agreed to sign on jan 1.